Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
Oct 3, 2003
The East Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Its the population combined with them having their sh*t together at lower levels these days that makes it hard to see anybody catching them, they have the money they have the participation rates that nobody can match and now they have quality systems to feed players into the test side.
They would have 50 junior players for every 1 we have.

They have all the money in the sport. Frankly, they're the New York Yankees now. There's no justifiable reason for them to not be leagues above every other test playing nation.

PhatBoy

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

They have all the money in the sport. Frankly, they're the New York Yankees now. There's no justifiable reason for them to not be leagues above every other test playing nation.

I think that there is much more evidence in the other direction than there is to support ‘bigger is more successful.’

The greatest international team in sport historically speaking are the all blacks.

The greatest cricket team historically. Speaking is Australia overall, and the greatest dynasty was the West Indies.

Brazil is a massive country who excels in soccer but there are many other massive countries who love it but haven’t had success - look at Mexico as an obvious one.

The most successful winter Olympic nation is Norway.
Yes it’s cold but so is Russia, USA, Japan, tonnes of other European countries.

footyfan1978

Hall of Famer
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy

It is a case of should, if they run a perfect ship but it is rare for India to run a perfect ship. Just be grateful they are not the cricket minnow they used to be.
They should be able to maintain being one of the best four teams in world at any point beyond now. Some moments they will rise to be number one.

Mego Red

Oct 3, 2003
The East Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
I think that there is much more evidence in the other direction than there is to support ‘bigger is more successful.’

The greatest international team in sport historically speaking are the all blacks.

The greatest cricket team historically. Speaking is Australia overall, and the greatest dynasty was the West Indies.

Brazil is a massive country who excels in soccer but there are many other massive countries who love it but haven’t had success - look at Mexico as an obvious one.

The most successful winter Olympic nation is Norway.
Yes it’s cold but so is Russia, USA, Japan, tonnes of other European countries.
Surely this just backs up my point.

The All Blacks are great because of participation - that is far and away the biggest sport in their country, and largely irrelevant elsewhere.

Similarly, Norway may be very good at Winter Olympic events, but those events are far more significant in their country than, say, the USA.

You can't compare soccer in Mexico to Brazil. The levels of participation just don't compare.

Cricket is number one in India, with no other sport even comparing for participation levels. Their domination should be the same as the USA in basketball, at a minimum.

PhatBoy

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

The All Blacks are great because of participation - that is far and away the biggest sport in their country, and largely irrelevant elsewhere.

Similarly, Norway may be very good at Winter Olympic events, but those events are far more significant in their country than, say, the USA.

You can't compare soccer in Mexico to Brazil. The levels of participation just don't compare.

Cricket is number one in India, with no other sport even comparing for participation levels. Their domination should be the same as the USA in basketball, at a minimum.

Who cares if it’s the biggest participation sport in that country? Everyone in Barbados plays cricket as a kid. Do you think they have more junior cricketers than say Bangladesh which has a lower percentage of kids playing cricket, but an aggregate of about 50 million more?

Pippen94

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

So rugby is irrelevant in england, south Africa & France. Things you learn from an afl forum.

Mego Red

Oct 3, 2003
The East Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
So rugby is irrelevant in england, south Africa & France. Things you learn from an afl forum.
Yes. It's a minor sport - even allowing for COVID impacts, global participation in rugby union has fallen dramatically over the last decade.

It's a major sports in NZ and vastly less so elsewhere. It's the 9th most popular sport in Australia.

PhatBoy

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes. It's a minor sport - even allowing for COVID impacts, global participation in rugby union has fallen dramatically over the last decade.

It's a major sports in NZ and vastly less so elsewhere. It's the 9th most popular sport in Australia.

They still have nearly 3 times the amount of registered players as new zealand

Pippen94

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

Here you are in a topic about the ashes saying rugby is irrelevant outside of nz & I'd put my money that rugby is bigger than cricket in the UK.
The 2019 rugby WC final doubled the TV rating of the WC cricket final also in the same year (8.9 million to 4.1).
Thr number for the rugby final was actually the highest tv viewership there for any sport that year.
...but it's just a minor sport & not worth worrying about

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Boland playing in Sydney. Great news!

Sent from my Louis Vuitton Jaffle Maker

Good for him, I do think we're missing a trick not playing Richardson though.

He's obviously the future and I'm not sure why he's gone further back in the queue despite a second innings 5-fer when he last played.

You get the sense one ordinary bowling performance from Boland and he's unlikely to return.

Costanza_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
Rev up those Sydney weather complaints lads.

Haven't seen a cloud in a week, perfect blue skies, 28-30c every day. But this morning the big dark clouds are rolling in...

1641251376586.png

Gough

Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Haven't seen a cloud in a week, perfect blue skies, 28-30c every day. But this morning the big dark clouds are rolling in...

View attachment 1305363
The Sydney Test at New Year will become a victim of the changing climate imo, to get a decent game without weather issues will necessitate a move to before Christmas. You can imagine in the future Brisbane and Sydney being the first two ports of call for touring teams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cats_09

Jun 21, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Good for him, I do think we're missing a trick not playing Richardson though.

He's obviously the future and I'm not sure why he's gone further back in the queue despite a second innings 5-fer when he last played.

You get the sense one ordinary bowling performance from Boland and he's unlikely to return.

Unless there's more to the following than Cricket Australia is letting on - I remember hearing the following on the news but haven't seen it really mentioned elsewhere

Could also be total sh*t in terms of speculation and nothing in it

Torz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Unless there's more to the following than Cricket Australia is letting on - I remember hearing the following on the news but haven't seen it really mentioned elsewhere

Could also be total sh*t in terms of speculation and nothing in it

He’s fine. This is a purely tactical move.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
Newcastle
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, WHam, Cronulla
The ever faithful ‘rugby union in’ wiki pages for both France and NZ. NZ has 130k plus change, France has about 380k.
Sorry I thought "they" referred to Australia not France.

Last edited:

CliffMcTainshaw

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh

View attachment 1305363
Washed out Test days since 1877 to 2017:
Perth 0
Hobart 2
Adelaide 2
MCG 6 (not including 1971 washout => ODI)
Brisbane 8
Sydney 24

Costanza_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
The Sydney Test at New Year will become a victim of the changing climate imo, to get a decent game without weather issues will necessitate a move to before Christmas. You can imagine in the future Brisbane and Sydney being the first two ports of call for touring teams.

Couldn't find a nice summary of historical weather data for Sydney in Nov/Dec/Jan - but yeah if there is evidence that late Nov or early Dec is a safer bet they should consider moving it. Alot seems to be made of the "New Year" aspect but it means fu** all to most people here. It's starting on the 5th this year but most people are back at work on the 4th today (myself included) meaning it's only day 4 and 5 that alot of people can get to without taking leave.

I guess some people take the extra week off, and kids are on holidays still, but it's nothing like the Boxing Day test vibe where everyone is off and ready for some cricket.

I'd much prefer a Sydney test starting on a Thursday in late Nov or early Dec than early Jan if there is less chance of it being spoiled. I seriously reckon we may not see play the first 3 days. It won't be bucketing, but will be consistent and enough to keep the covers on.

Costanza_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
Washed out Test days since 1877 to 2017:
Perth 0
Hobart 2
Adelaide 2
MCG 6 (not including 1971 washout => ODI)
Brisbane 8
Sydney 24

The problem with Sydney is once the rain sets in, it rains for days. Conversely, we get weeks and weeks of perfect blue skies, especially in Winter.

WaywardSonSon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
If Hameed opens the batting again, I'm going to do violent things to my television!