Remove this Banner Ad

WaywardSonSon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cool Runnings
At least Meatloaf gave a yelp...in fairness it was before he had a partial heart attack...
England should have Bairstow and Butler open their account - it'll immediately place pressure on Australia's opening bowlers, as they both display attacking mindsets when playing naturally, with the added bonus of me not having to watch "Meatloaf" phone it in!

Pippen94

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Agree on Akram just over Ambrose but damn they were both guns. Would almost have Akram over Steyn.

Ambrose was better than akram & that's not just because I grew up watching him terrorizing Australia. All the stats & series totals show this. Was world no.1 for years

troybe

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2008
Bunnings Institute for the Galactically Stupid
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb Stars, Man U, USC, NY Mets
IMG_4963.JPG

I wonder what paint colour they used? The cream, the bone, the white, the off-white, the ivory or the beige?

Sent from my Louis Vuitton Jaffle Maker

Jim Prideaux

Club Legend
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
ColoradoAvalancheLiverpoolFCGrenobl
Ambrose was better than akram & that's not just because I grew up watching him terrorizing Australia. All the stats & series totals show this. Was world no.1 for years
Mine was more a personal preference thing. Loved Curtly, even rocked the double sweatbands once or twice as a young fella. But Akram was poetry in motion, he could tear through a side without warning, ball would seem on a string.

PhatBoy

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Suffice to say both bowlers are comfortably in that elite ‘generational’ bracket with (in my lifetime at least) McGrath, Marshall, Imran, Hadlee, Steyn, and maybe eventually Cummins and Rabada

Pippen94

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Mine was more a personal preference thing. Loved Curtly, even rocked the double sweatbands once or twice as a young fella. But Akram was poetry in motion, he could tear through a side without warning, ball would seem on a string.

Yep, that is fair enough as Wasim was also a dynamic player. Looked like the next great all rounder in 1989 & was the world's best player when Pakistan won the 1992 world cup.

I had a special fear for curtly as he seemed to roll Australia for cheap many times, which resulted in a victory for the west indies.

Big Bryza

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 11, 2006
MCG
AFL Club
Collingwood
I see journos are already pushing that Jhye is still not 100% fit which I assume is what they have been fed. You must be seething a bit.

Richo is as stiff as a board to miss out.

However, dropping Boland would be the equivalent of dropping a bloke who has just kicked 10 on debut. An all time performance from Scotty B delivers him a much deserved 2nd test.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Definitely, Kohli is someone who gives the impression he's a twat on the field but when he actually speaks off it he's very gracious, intelligent and clearly cares about the game. Ponting is probably in the same mould.

The game is definitely in some trouble at the moment. There's always been that feeling that more players will start to opt for White Ball only contracts and with the Covid bubbles still persisting we're likely going to see more guys like Quinton DK retiring early and players like Shakib picking and choosing.
Would imagine that’s how the rest of the world has felt about a lot of our players over the journey. Think Kolhi’s biggest contribution was to take it up to the aussies on field and act like he’s the best player and will take no fu**s. That’s the spirit that has been missing from Indian teams in the past. Far to differential. Not the case anymore.

to1994

Club Legend
Jul 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Would imagine that’s how the rest of the world has felt about a lot of our players over the journey. Think Kolhi’s biggest contribution was to take it up to the aussies on field and act like he’s the best player and will take no fu**s. That’s the spirit that has been missing from Indian teams in the past. Far to differential. Not the case anymore.

I think even we feel like that though, Matthew Hayden and Warne aren't the most popular personalities on here that's for sure. I felt Ponting is the best example because even now other countries still whinge about his on field behaviour but he's all class off the field,.

Kohli has definitely been unique with the energy he brings, but with the end looking near for him and the potential replacement in KL Rahul lacking that personality I wonder if it'll continue. Siraj and Bumrah perhaps to keep that going?

Adelaide Hawk

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood

This is the part that has bemused me over the years. People so critical of the way Australians adapt to professional sport, but the moment someone else does the same thing, we praise them for taking it up to the Australians. It also bemuses me how some people feel it's only Australians guilty of poor behaviour.

For the record, I think Kohli's fantastic because I don't mind aggression in sport, and the odd fiery exchange, especially at the elite level.

PhatBoy

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
This is the part that has bemused me over the years. People so critical of the way Australians adapt to professional sport, but the moment someone else does the same thing, we praise them for taking it up to the Australians. It also bemuses me how some people feel it's only Australians guilty of poor behaviour.

For the record, I think Kohli's fantastic because I don't mind aggression in sport, and the odd fiery exchange, especially at the elite level.

I don’t think anyone has ever really had a problem with Australians who show backbone, aren’t afraid to stick up for themselves, and have a dig.

I also don’t think anyone really needs to actually use ‘abuse’ as a tactic. But it was used for a time

deanc

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
I don’t think anyone has ever really had a problem with Australians who show backbone, aren’t afraid to stick up for themselves, and have a dig.

I also don’t think anyone really needs to actually use ‘abuse’ as a tactic. But it was used for a time

As history tells us PB, and being well read on the subject - Waugh's 'mental disintegration' tactic was solely to have the batsmen thinking about anything else except batting. Did they cross the line occasionally, sure, did Waugh tolerate such incidents, no doubt.
Ponting, who was a large part of this era then refined the tactic as skipper later and asked his troops to talk about the batsmen in earshot and never directly to them. Clarke also adopted similar and if you recall the time when George Bailey and Jimmy Anderson exchanged verbal's in 2013, with Clarke then interjecting which ended up a rare 'cross the line' incident.

The incident derived initially from a jovial Bailey (on debut) talking to the slips/WK about having a quick beer and some pizza during the imminent change of innings, but then he started softly singing a Barmy Army song while the bowler was running in. Anderson sick of Bailey's waffle then tells him to shut his gob or he'd shut it for him..! So when Clarke steps in to defend Bailey, we then hear Clarke's infamous "Get ready for a f**ing broken arm" to Anderson on the stump microphone..

Last edited:

Manbearpig77

All Australian
Dec 12, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
That's an awful dismissal for Smith.

Bizarre series for him. Up untill that point he was looking immovable, then just completely lost the plot. Yes the ball kept a bit low and skidded through, but that should be no problem for him.

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Akram is my all time fave. He could make the ball talk at serious pace off that puny little run-up of his. Not sure I've ever seen one bowler carry a team like he did in the late 90s

Gough

Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was sitting on the hill at the WACA as a young teenager when he took 7 for 1 in a spell. Was a superb bowler.

Hard not to be a West Indian fan at that time with him, Richie Richardson hooking sixes while wearing a floppy brimmed hat. Good times.
Carl Hooper. I could've have watched him bat all day if he didn't keep throwing away his wicket.