deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
I don’t think anyone has ever really had a problem with Australians who show backbone, aren’t afraid to stick up for themselves, and have a dig.

I also don’t think anyone really needs to actually use ‘abuse’ as a tactic. But it was used for a time

As history tells us PB, and being well read on the subject - Waugh's 'mental disintegration' tactic was solely to have the batsmen thinking about anything else except batting. Did they cross the line occasionally, sure, did Waugh tolerate such incidents, no doubt.
Ponting, who was a large part of this era then refined the tactic as skipper later and asked his troops to talk about the batsmen in earshot and never directly to them. Clarke also adopted similar and if you recall the time when George Bailey and Jimmy Anderson exchanged verbal's in 2013, with Clarke then interjecting which ended up a rare 'cross the line' incident.

The incident derived initially from a jovial Bailey (on debut) talking to the slips/WK about having a quick beer and some pizza during the imminent change of innings, but then he started softly singing a Barmy Army song while the bowler was running in. Anderson sick of Bailey's waffle then tells him to shut his gob or he'd shut it for him..! So when Clarke steps in to defend Bailey, we then hear Clarke's infamous "Get ready for a f**ing broken arm" to Anderson on the stump microphone..

Last edited:

Manbearpig77

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
That's an awful dismissal for Smith.

Bizarre series for him. Up untill that point he was looking immovable, then just completely lost the plot. Yes the ball kept a bit low and skidded through, but that should be no problem for him.

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mine was more a personal preference thing. Loved Curtly, even rocked the double sweatbands once or twice as a young fella. But Akram was poetry in motion, he could tear through a side without warning, ball would seem on a string.
Akram is my all time fave. He could make the ball talk at serious pace off that puny little run-up of his. Not sure I've ever seen one bowler carry a team like he did in the late 90s

Was sitting on the hill at the WACA as a young teenager when he took 7 for 1 in a spell. Was a superb bowler.

Hard not to be a West Indian fan at that time with him, Richie Richardson hooking sixes while wearing a floppy brimmed hat. Good times.
Carl Hooper. I could've have watched him bat all day if he didn't keep throwing away his wicket.

Back