The "Ask Lions_Insider!" discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I grew up in a town of less than 2000 people in the middle of nowhere that had never (and probably still hasn't) heard of afl. It's league heartland. I'll admit this once only (quote me back at me and I'll still call you a liar) - I supported Carlton in the early 80s. They were regularly on tv and I loved watching the game.. and I liked the there up there cazaly song which was on high rotation. Kids, eh.

I then moved, focused on my sports, travelled and worked overseas and it took years to re-read discover afl and the lions.
I was pretty close to being a Bulldogs supporter because of similar circumstances - the only live games FNQ got in the late 90s was that Sunday arvo game and the team that played more often than not then was the Dogs.

Wait until you find out who sponsors us...
Lol. I know. I don't have an issue with gambling per se. All things in moderation. I don't love having the odds and things at the ground or splattered all over the TV, just because it can be a problem for some people, and those people should still be able to enjoy sport. That said, not something I struggle with, and I'll admit that I opened a sportsbet account, got the guernsey, and then withdrew the initial capital (re-gambled the winnings).
If you won a meat tray instead of cash would it change your perspective?
Probably, then it'd be easier to view it as a donation. Meat trays are, what, $20?
Think of it as a donation and the prizes are just presents.
See above. It's a method of donation where 50% of your donation goes to a non-charity beneficiary. A 50% payout ratio on gambling is incredibly low. Sportsbet operate at 88-91% (depending on bet type), pokies operate at >90% (though lack of liquidity makes it simpler to reinvest and if you spin more than 10 times, that ratio drops through the floor)... Even the lottery pays out ~67%.

The only way it's a good spend is if you want to donate exactly the same amount as you want to gamble. If that's the case, you're effectively donating half, with 100% going to the Lions (though no tax deductibility), and you're gambling in a lottery with a 100% payout ratio, which is actually as good as you'll ever get. But instead of it being either, it's a weird hybrid that really offers poor donation effectiveness and poor payout on gambling (though legally they can't call it gambling).

Pretty sure the club (and other clubs) intentionally avoid giving away gratuitous data about players and their athletic/football strengths and weaknesses.

The same reason why they don't publish time trial results other than the winners etc.

It's a game of 1 percents... don't give the opposition anything that constitutes an advantage.

Just wanted to reiterate an idea....

would be fun for the club to do a 'combine' flashback. Get their parents to come (how cute).

Have fans guess through the website who the top 5 & bottom 5 are for each event, and a prize for any fan who guesses all correct.

Even do another comp for players nominee: parent, sibling, partner... have them do the tests to and we can guess who'd be top 5 and bottom 5... again with prizes.

Beep test, vertical jump, kick, clean hands, etc.

This would never happen for pretty much the reasons below. There is a lot of sensitive data that is and should be tightly held in a professional football club for a variety of reasons. These sort of tests have a very low correlation to actually playing football and showcasing players perceived weaknesses in some of these areas would be pretty counter productive.

Pretty sure the club (and other clubs) intentionally avoid giving away gratuitous data about players and their athletic/football strengths and weaknesses.

The same reason why they don't publish time trial results other than the winners etc.

It's a game of 1 percents... don't give the opposition anything that constitutes an advantage.

Lions_Insider Feedback rather than a question.

I've attended the player sponsor function a few times now, and though it is always a good evening,
last nights was probably the best organised.

Well hosted by Mitch, most of the players present.
The autograph books were a nice touch and gave a means to break the ice for some of the shyer players and attendees.
Food was slightly less good than previous years, but all up a really positive function again.

Only bummer was that there was no tour this year.

Could fudge the figures:
- Rich win kicking...
- Zorko win running leap...

Agree some confidentiality needed. Maybe combine result of player + their nominee (could be partner, parent, Etc.)

Could fudge the figures:
- Rich win kicking...
- Zorko win running leap...

Agree some confidentiality needed. Maybe combine result of player + their nominee (could be partner, parent, Etc.)

It's just an odd idea. A lot of impost for an event that would have very little interest to the majority of members.

It's just an odd idea. A lot of impost for an event that would have very little interest to the majority of members.

Oh... I didn't realise it would yield such little interest. Sounded fun to me. But, TBD, you are the rep of the majority, so will keep my odd ideas to myself.

But, TBD, you are the rep of the majority, so will keep my odd ideas to myself.

Catty comments like this really don't add anything in my view.

WPM: 102

In the spirit of the helpful "50M penalty" and "Holding the ball" rule explanations now shown on the replay screen, could we get something to explain to our frustrated friends in the stands that the players are going sideways or backwards to create a switch? "Fagan approved tactic" may work just fine.
Been meaning to mention these. Good initiative.
I do laugh though, every time someone infringes that little known rule "ruck infringement". Never a block, hold or illegal contact, just a generic "ruck infringement". I always read that as "Someone did something they weren't supposed to, but be ****ed if we know what". I guess they just can't fit all that in the space provided.:D

There are a few people in the football department involved in this decision. We've just go to roll with the punches... No pun intended ;)

How are we supposed to trust you LI if you blatantly lie to us :'(:p

Why was my post deleted and with no explanation from a mod?

Because the purpose of the thread was for the club to answer questions which they most likely have the capacity to. Your post a) wasn't a question and b) even if it was i no world would the club be able to frame a legitimate answer to it.

We want them to remain engaged, and one way to cut that short is for them to get bombarded with unrealistic questions, causing them to cut it on the basis of cost/reward factors.

Given the amount of posts we're deleting this week we can't give full explanations to all of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Fatcat08 understand where you are coming from, but the club genuinely needs address some of the issues with the fans.

Got to take the positives with the negatives.

There are several avenues to contacting the club with concerns. That wasn't the purpose of the thread.

Hi Lions_Insider are you able to clarify if Hanley has been delisted with the intention of getting him back as a cat B or just plain delisted. Cheers.
Has a decision been made yet on which player we are taking with Pick 1?

If so, I don't expect a name.

Just interesred to know whether there is a clear #1 in our eyes or if it's still in the melting pot.
Lions insider would be not privy to that sort of information guys.

Has a decision been made yet on which player we are taking with Pick 1?

If so, I don't expect a name.

Just interesred to know whether there is a clear #1 in our eyes or if it's still in the melting pot.
See my post to S.M in draft thread,just gone up....may be of interest, cheers.

Lions insider would be not privy to that sort of information guys.

I wouldn't expect him to answer Luthors question but mine is asking for elaboration on conflicting media between Doms words today and Nobles words from the podcast. Asking to confirm if the latest media is correct or not is hardly asking for much.

Nothing serious, just precautionary. Will be in a boot for a few weeks. Same foot issue he had at the end of the season.

Damien Austin speaks about it in our high performance update: http://www.lions.com.au/news/2017-11-08/high-performance-update

G'day Lions_Insider. Unfortunately Damien Austin's pronouncement on Berry's injury just doesn't quite cut it in terms of hard information: “Berry finished the season with a bit of a foot complaint. We are being cautious by putting him in a boot for a few weeks to make sure we get him right," Austin said.

We already realise he has 'a bit of a foot complaint'.

G'day Lions_Insider. Unfortunately Damien Austin's pronouncement on Berry's injury just doesn't quite cut it in terms of hard information: “Berry finished the season with a bit of a foot complaint. We are being cautious by putting him in a boot for a few weeks to make sure we get him right," Austin said.

At the same time that seems sufficient in explaining it. They can disclose as much or as little information as they want in regards to the specifics of a players injury.

At the same time that seems sufficient in explaining it. They can disclose as much or as little information as they want in regards to the specifics of a players injury.
Well then they can't wonder why people get confused with the transparency. "Bit of a foot complaint" could mean anything and l don't see a reason why they wouldn't just tell us, I don't think other teams care tbh.

Hi Ray,

It's up to the football department on how much information they want to release. Damien's update is all we will be putting out at the moment. No need for concern on Jarrod's foot, the boot is just a precautionary measure.

Well then they can't wonder why people get confused with the transparency. "Bit of a foot complaint" could mean anything and l don't see a reason why they wouldn't just tell us, I don't think other teams care tbh.

It could mean anything. Perhaps they don't know, perhaps they do but the complaint is something that has a variable prognosis and there's no point putting a label on it in November when the season starts in March. Perhaps it's terrible and they are hiding it from us and will bring out Tom Berry on match days so we don't notice.

It's not worth getting frustrated by something like this. We'll know eventually if the injury is bad and I trust the club to make the correct decisions in regards to disclosure.

Perhaps Austin just misspoke as well, who knows.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back