The "Ask Lions_Insider!" discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Moderator note: this thread is for discussion of posts in the Ask Lions_Insider thread. This just happens to be the first post moved.

Yeah, I can't abide the stock music tracks used in the videos... they add nothing and diminish the experience if anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure this is done as a tender process by Gabba Management and the catering companies (in our case Michael O'Brien Catering). Dont think the club is party to it. That said, the AFL managed to do something about food and drink prices in Melbourne.
Yeah need $30 for a round of 3 for my crew. Kinda glad I am off the booze at the moment.

Yeah food and drink is an overpriced, uninspiring disaster. I am glad they don't stop you bringing your own things in, and Coles at the Gabba certainly gets a pre-game workout.

If you just start giving away all extra tickets not sold, at what point to people stop buying them knowing they can pick them up for free anyway. I'm sure there is a fair bit of cost/benefit analysis that has gone into pricing tickets, and where we've landed is the result.
I don't think DanT7 was talking about giving away the tickets. I think he was referring to changing the product mix. You can sell 10,000 tickets at $35. That's $350,000. If you sell tickets at $20, would you get 17,500 attendees and make the same money? Probably not, but for a team like the Lions, there's also a consideration of potential future income. Getting 15,000 along at $20 may be preferable to getting 10,000 at $35, despite cash leakage.

I don't think you'd see that kind of growth with cheaper prices though, simply because Brisbanites don't care as much about the AFL, but I know it's been a major factor for me - both in uni student days, when I couldn't justify $30 for a ticket, and also in recent years, where I could convince a bunch of non-AFL fan mates to come along for $20, but not for $35-50/head. I've seen other offers from other sports on rare occasions (must be sporadic), but I've seen offers for $10 tickets to soccer and the like, and managed to get along a bunch of guys.

Ah economics... Very useful for making astrology looking well thought out.

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Does the club have a sports psychologist working with (particularly) Tom Bell, Frost, and others whose promise is not translating to performance?
Mate, are you bloody serious?

This information is extremely confidential from a psychologist's perspective. Forget about the content, even the very fact that a player may be seeing the sports psych (regardless of the type of psych that they are) is so deeply confidential.

Nov 4, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I knew Dr Haso PhD would choke on his weeties when he read that post.
OqKZfn5.gif

fanackapan

All Australian
Aug 4, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The one thing I'd like to see brought back is the 2 member guest passes. I understand budgets may not permit it, but I think it was something many members loved. I know for me personally it was great when I lived on the Gold Coast - if my usual friend/member wasn't coming, getting that ticket to bring a mate was the difference between attending or not.

These still exist, with a September Member add-on.

Are you sure? https://membership.lions.com.au/september-member. It doesn't work for 2 or 3 of the big games (typically Collingwood/Carlton/Richmond/Essendon games), but I've certainly used this, including this season.

That is so weird. I asked about it to one of the membership team and they advised I could only purchase tickets. Very strange as I'm on the second highest tier membership. Maybe the membership team person I spoke to didn't realize? Who knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fanackapan

All Australian
Aug 4, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That is so weird. I asked about it to one of the membership team and they advised I could only purchase tickets. Very strange as I'm on the second highest tier membership. Maybe the membership team person I spoke to didn't realize? Who knows.

The email I received about it (6 Feb) said:
Did you know as a Premium season reserved seat member or September Member, you are entitled to FREE guest passes* to bring friends and family along to our matches? To redeem your free guest passes now or to purchase additional tickets at a discounted rate, log in to your myLions account

*Free guest passes not available for Round 2 v. Essendon, Round 4 v. Richmond and Round 16 v. Geelong Cats. Terms and conditions apply.

I've often redeemed them by calling the club (get more control over where they are when I talk to a human). When I've used them in the past there has been a deadline for ordering them of the Wednesday before the game.

The email I received about it (6 Feb) said:

I've often redeemed them by calling the club (get more control over where they are when I talk to a human). When I've used them in the past there has been a deadline for ordering them of the Wednesday before the game.

Thanks mate. Will call them next time I have another guest. Good to know!

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

As an aside to this, I have a premium membership and was advised last year I could only have one, but this year I can have 2 again.

I don't know if this has changed around a bit in recent years?

Mate, are you bloody serious?

This information is extremely confidential from a psychologist's perspective. Forget about the content, even the very fact that a player may be seeing the sports psych (regardless of the type of psych that they are) is so deeply confidential.
It's a bit dependent on the context though isn't it? I mean it's widely known that Collingwood hired a sports psychologist specifically to try and sort out Cloke's goal kicking yips.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back