The "Ask Lions_Insider!" discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

May 30, 2013
BNE, AUS
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, Cubs, Bulls
There have been many requests for the sound levels to be turned down a notch. It felt like they had been tonight - was I imagining it? Maybe the extra crowd was the reason?

If the sound has been adjusted then thanks but I do reckon the Welcome to Country could use a little more volume. It looks like a nice little presentation but I have trouble hearing and understanding it properly. It’s put up right before the final build up too so maybe the timing of it is not quite right. It should be respected but all kinds of other sounds are drowning it out for me.

Not sure what others think?

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
There have been many requests for the sound levels to be turned down a notch. It felt like they had been tonight - was I imagining it? Maybe the extra crowd was the reason?

If the sound has been adjusted then thanks but I do reckon the Welcome to Country could use a little more volume. It looks like a nice little presentation but I have trouble hearing and understanding it properly. It’s put up right before the final build up too so maybe the timing of it is not quite right. It should be respected but all kinds of other sounds are drowning it out for me.

Not sure what others think?

Thought the same thing. Keep the PA loud for the player intro video and the welcome to country. Turn it down for the ads and pie giveaways.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Yep i thought the sound was disappointing for the player intros, i really like how that revs the crowd up before the bounce.
I really missed the louder volume of Acca Dacca's Thunderstruck revving up the crowd as well, absolutely love it, gets my blood boiling, AC/DC is not the same with the volume down.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Oh *, did he really pull out Sandy Hook truther bullshit?

That is utterly moronic Rhys.

How does that get past the comms department? Vile.

That’s clearly not good enough Lions Insider. I will assume the deletion of the video is an acknowledgement of that, but cmon.

Yeah, I had a massive cringe when I saw they were going to tall about conspiracies, and then Matho talking about it so casually...

I know conspiracy nuts would be over the moon about him "speaking their truth" but its just plain disrespectful for the very real victims.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Was a little concerned after I watched Locker Talk this week. Was a mostly standard chat about a few common conspiracies, but the Rhys Mathieson comments about Sandy Hook were a little concerning.

Segment now deleted so I'm hoping the club has had a little bit of a word to Rhys?

Did he say he adhered to the conspiracy or did he just raise it as a popular conspiracy? Big difference. Sandy hook is an incredibly popular internet theory (as insane as it is) so he may have raised it as a conspiracy he was aware of?

Carlos Danger

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Did he say he adhered to the conspiracy or did he just raise it as a popular conspiracy? Big difference. Sandy hook is an incredibly popular internet theory (as insane as it is) so he may have raised it as a conspiracy he was aware of?
Can't remember the question, he just explained the basics of the conspiracy theory re gun control / politics etc etc.

It didnt strike me as been overly controversial. It's been deleted now, don't think we should make a big deal about it. The real villains are those gun toting yokels in the USA that put so much work into publicising that nonensense in the first place.

Crawb

Norm Smith Medallist
SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I don't want to derail the purpose of the thread, so I'll just post the reply here.

He was asked about the best conspiracies and mentioned Sandy Hook. "Best" could mean anything sure. But at the same time it is a little worrying to hear something like Sandy Hook talked about as the "best".

Also literally in the clip before Nick Robertson's "best conspiracy" was one he was "pretty adamant on" and the clip before that was someone was saying Rhys Mathieson would be the most likely to believe in conspiracies, reptiles controlling the world, etc. So it doesn't paint a great picture.

Although what sort of sealed it was he explicitly said at the end something along the lines "no-one actually died and it was a hoax to stop guns etc" and then suggested something like "so viewers should look it up on the internet and they'll be shocked"

Maybe it was just a series of *terribly* chosen words and *terrible* editing. Hence why I just said the comments were worrying rather than a specific accusation. But alas still worrying and would definitely prefer not having any lingering doubt about it at all...

I don't want to derail the purpose of the thread, so I'll just post the reply here.

He was asked about the best conspiracies and mentioned Sandy Hook. "Best" could mean anything sure. But at the same time it is a little worrying to hear something like Sandy Hook talked about as the "best".

Also literally in the clip before Nick Robertson's "best conspiracy" was one he was "pretty adamant on" and the clip before that was someone was saying Rhys Mathieson would be the most likely to believe in conspiracies, reptiles controlling the world, etc. So it doesn't paint a great picture.

Although what sort of sealed it was he explicitly said at the end something along the lines "no-one actually died and it was a hoax to stop guns etc" and then suggested something like "so viewers should look it up on the internet and they'll be shocked"

Maybe it was just a series of *terribly* chosen words and *terrible* editing. Hence why I just said the comments were worrying rather than a specific accusation. But alas still worrying and would definitely prefer not having any lingering doubt about it at all...

That sounds fairly innocuous to me, honestly, that sounds to me like someone talking about the most ridiculous conspiracy theory ever. And you would, indeed, be shocked if you looked it up on the internet - after all, there's people who take it seriously. And they've always got someone who buys the best chair for Fortnite or whatever, whether or not it's actually true. Probably not the best topic for a corny video about because well, when conspiracies are just about chupacabras or whatever that's safe enough I guess, but these days conspiracy ideation is a potent and dangerous political force and probably not ideal to be goofing around with it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Yeah no good. He is entitled to hold what ever beliefs he wants, but advocating for that in a club video is wild. But sounds like its dealt with now.

Sounds like the whole premise behind the segment was doomed - you were going to get either very canned boring or something that would be polarising (eg someone saying they reckon JFK was taken out by CIA/FBI types would not really raise a hair but denying the moon landing, WWII's version of the holocaust, or claiming that Obama was not an American citizen would lend itself to more controversy...)

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Can't remember the question, he just explained the basics of the conspiracy theory re gun control / politics etc etc.

It didnt strike me as been overly controversial. It's been deleted now, don't think we should make a big deal about it. The real villains are those gun toting yokels in the USA that put so much work into publicising that nonensense in the first place.
He certainly came across as some one who might very well believe it. While other players treated it as joke, Matho came across as more preachy, even encouraging viewers to go and research it.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
You get those three in one place and you can make a substantial saving on the catering.

The Diana version of the Mitchell and Webb conspiracy videos is an all time classic. Absolutely no holds barred.

He certainly came across as some one who might very well believe it. While other players treated it as joke, Matho came across as more preachy, even encouraging viewers to go and research it.

nick robbo’s I believe the world is round and made by god could be controversial as well. Maybe that was the comment that got the Video pulled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back