The "Ask Lions_Insider!" discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 TOYOTA AFL
FINALS SERIES
August 31-September 2
Bye Round – Final Eight clubs

How come only the final eight get a bye? Is there no end to the AFL's bias against lower clubs? :mad:

KingRants

Draftee
Jul 12, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Hey Lions_Insider, I’ve got a request and was told this is the best place to go!

(Don’t worry I come in peace, I love the Lions)

One of my friends is a mad Brisbane Lions fan, and his absolute favourite player is Jed Adcock.

I was wondering if it is possible to have Jed send a message/sign something as a present I can give to my mate.

I understand how busy the coaches are, but just thought I’d ask to give it a shot.

This would mean the absolute world to him, I reckon he’d get emotional.

Thanks heaps.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm quite happy with it as it is........we have our Lion back on the jumper, the face Lion is the face of the Lions.

...as I've said before, we've had enough changes, lets leave things for a while. Concentrate on getting the team right (as is happening) and on the right track is our first priority I'd have thought.

No plans in the short-term to change our Lions logo that features on our supporter wear.

It is an extremely expensive exercise for a Club to rebrand and unfortunately with our current financial situation, it is not one we can afford.

There are merchandise items that don't feature the logo (more available in-store) such as: https://www.lionsshop.com.au/brisbane-lions-2018-mens-training-leisure-tee.html, https://www.lionsshop.com.au/brisbane-lions-2018-men-s-raglan-tee.html & https://www.lionsshop.com.au/brisbane-lions-mens-vintage-hoodie.html

Thanks for your reply, Lions_Insider but IMO it is a mistake. I am not interested in tshirts etc. How about 1 polo with the Brisbane Lion on it? How popular would that be with our Fitzroy side of the family? Not to mention many that the paddlepop has no relevance - use what is on our proud jumper.

I, for one, would be prepared to pay a premium to wear the true symbol of our club.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
.as I've said before, we've had enough changes, lets leave things for a while. Concentrate on getting the team right (as is happening) and on the right track is our first priority I'd have thought.

All well and good, but it would have been nice had the members been consulted in the first place before the club took it up on themselves to change the logo / Lion of OUR club.

That isn’t necessarily aimed at you either MacMum

I'm quite happy with it as it is........we have our Lion back on the jumper, the face Lion is the face of the Lions.

...as I've said before, we've had enough changes, lets leave things for a while. Concentrate on getting the team right (as is happening) and on the right track is our first priority I'd have thought.

Gotta disagree MacMum . The face lion is the symbol of an icecream bar.

Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hey Lions_Insider, I’ve got a request and was told this is the best place to go!

(Don’t worry I come in peace, I love the Lions)

One of my friends is a mad Brisbane Lions fan, and his absolute favourite player is Jed Adcock.

I was wondering if it is possible to have Jed send a message/sign something as a present I can give to my mate.

I understand how busy the coaches are, but just thought I’d ask to give it a shot.

This would mean the absolute world to him, I reckon he’d get emotional.

Thanks heaps.

Hi KingRants

We've replied to your email.

Cheers,

13780EE7-2D1A-4F08-A218-89C689113D61.jpeg
Gotta disagree MacMum . The face lion is the symbol of an icecream bar.
You should of bought one of these. Sits proudly in my office.

Hi LI,
I was just wondering if there are any plans in the near future for the boys to play in the old Fitzroy strip for a Melbourne game? Would be absolutely wonderful for the old Roy boy fans! Cheers.

And even a Bears inspired strip for those that followed them.

from memory don't we do that when we have a hall of fame event in that state? Which is every few years

Hi LI,
I was just wondering if there are any plans in the near future for the boys to play in the old Fitzroy strip for a Melbourne game? Would be absolutely wonderful for the old Roy boy fans! Cheers.

IMO there should be one game of each every year

"like Fitzroy and Bears of old"

Skoob

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 6, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hi LI,
IMO there should be one game of each every year

"like Fitzroy and Bears of old"
Isn't our away strip Fitzroy inspired?
And our clash, Bears inspired?

Neither sides of the club are forgotten, so can't we get on with being the Brisbane Lions, while 2 guernseys are already a nod to both sides of our past? And as FatCat said, we do where the FFC logo every so often when the Hall of Fame is celebrated in Melbourne.

Oct 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Isn't our away strip Fitzroy inspired?

And our clash, Bears inspired?

Neither sides of the club are forgotten, so can't we get on with being the Brisbane Lions, while 2 guernseys are already a nod to both sides of our past? And as FatCat said, we do where the FFC logo every so often when the Hall of Fame is celebrated in Melbourne.
Yes, the away strip is 'inspired' by the old jumper, but it is simply not the original. I would love to see the FFC logo on the front. I may be on my own here, but to me the FFC logo is somewhat of a sacred symbol and it means so much to myself and my family, who are all die hard Fitzroy supporters. I can't even watch an old match without shedding a tear. IMO wearing the old fitzroy jumper once a year in Melbourne wouldn't be holding us back from being the Brisbane lions. It would just be something special for the old fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
The Brisbane Lions wearing the red FFC logo jumper each year against Collingwood on a Saturday afternoon in Melbourne would be fantastic.

Maybe with the Fitzroy senior side (who also play in the red FFC logo jumper) in the VAFA playing the curtain raiser before the game. As was done in 2003. Just as an extra, Fitzroy vs. University in the curtain raiser would be very fitting.

A Brisbane Bears jumper against say West Coast at the Gabba would also be great to see.

Hi Daniels Riches,

Can't say too much at the moment...our 2019 event guernseys are still in the stages of being locked away. There is a good chance there will be a Fitzroy based strip :smile:

Mmmm... ;)

Your suggestion of recognising the 50th anniversary of Kevin winning the Brownlow is a good one. We are planning out our 2019 guernseys at the moment and will definitely take your idea on board.

http://m.lions.com.au/news/2018-08-01/ask-the-chairman-july

tate13

All Australian
Sep 5, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
Read the “ask the chairman” article
Posted today. Have to say I was very happy with his answer to recognising our joint history. IMO this needs to be pushed even harder. Would love to see Fitzroy’s stats referred to more. This is a club with a unique history like no other. Both parts of its history should be celebrated, not ignored, and the sooner the AFL does so, the better.

Read the “ask the chairman” article
Posted today. Have to say I was very happy with his answer to recognising our joint history. IMO this needs to be pushed even harder. Would love to see Fitzroy’s stats referred to more. This is a club with a unique history like no other. Both parts of its history should be celebrated, not ignored, and the sooner the AFL does so, the better.
FWIW the club has basically been pushing it since day 1, over and over again. AFL won't touch it. It's why the club has released shared records since day 1.

tate13

All Australian
Sep 5, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
FWIW the club has basically been pushing it since day 1, over and over again. AFL won't touch it. It's why the club has released shared records since day 1.

Yep fully aware of the history and can’t fault the club. I think it’s a ridiculous stance by the AFL. I’d love to see us make a lot more public noise about it when we’re in a position to do so.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
Yep fully aware of the history and can’t fault the club. I think it’s a ridiculous stance by the AFL. I’d love to see us make a lot more public noise about it when we’re in a position to do so.

The question is who owns Fitzroy's AFL history.

Is it the Brisbane Lions (formerly known as the Brisbane Bears)? Or is it the Fitzroy Football Club (which still exists in its own right)?

The Brisbane Lions represent the AFL identity of the Fitzroy Football Club in today's AFL, but does that extend to Fitzroy's records as well given the original club still exists?

The question is who owns Fitzroy's AFL history.

Is it the Brisbane Lions (formerly known as the Brisbane Bears)? Or is it the Fitzroy Football Club (which still exists in its own right)?

The Brisbane Lions represent the AFL identity of the Fitzroy Football Club in today's AFL, but does that extend to Fitzroy's records as well given the original club still exists?

I know this is a bit of a third rail, but given we're discussing the AFL's approach to the Fitzroy records, I'm yet to see the AFL argue that the premierships, Brownlows, or anything else belong to the remaining FFC (or indeed otherwise acknowledge FFC's existence).

Oct 11, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

The AFL's rational has been that you can’t merge stats when the two previous teams (Bears/Fitzroy) played against each other...

There's been seven approaches to the AFL to get this changed and I'm sure it will be revisited again in the future.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
The AFL's rational has been that you can’t merge stats when the two previous teams (Bears/Fitzroy) played against each other...

There's been seven approaches to the AFL to get this changed and I'm sure it will be revisited again in the future.
I’m personally of the view that our records should relate to the Brisbane Lions only i.e. 1997 onwards and that the Bears and Fitzroy stats are stand alone and retained by the club.

What shits me the most is reading the AFL Record to see we’ve played a club X amount of times or a players records and it includes the Bears record between 87-96; yet Fitzroy’s is forgotten.

If it wasn’t just the Brisbane Lions records since 97, there wouldn’t be as much an issue.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
I'm yet to see the AFL argue that the premierships, Brownlows, or anything else belong to the remaining FFC (or indeed otherwise acknowledge FFC's existence).

Quite true. The AFL don't argue that. Why would they?

But whether the AFL like it or not, or acknowledge them at all, the Fitzroy Football Club do still exist their own right and legally Fitzroy Football CLub in the VAFA is the same club as the Fitzroy Football Club in the VFL-AFL, a fact which was confirmed by the Supreme Court of Victoria in 2010.

Formed in 1883, 135 years old, thirteen seasons in the VFA, 100 years in the VFL-AFL and nearly ten years in the VAFA. Nine senior premierships and eight Brownlows.

tate13

All Australian
Sep 5, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Washington Wizards

Good to know. Still seems strange. I'm not sure how that stance makes any sense at all, especially given over 90 years of a part of that history (which includes all premierships and brownlows sans Voss) happened prior to the birth of the Bears.

The very definition of a merger is "the combination of two things" - The two clubs became one. The AFL wanted a merger and that's what they got. However much like it's done with the Gold Coast (and early days Bears) it has done it in an awkward, jagged, half-arsed way.

I'd love to see the incredibly rich history acknowledged and am glad it will continue to be pushed for.

I would expect that half the issue will be computer-based. You can change Fitz to BL, or you can change BB to BL, but if you change both to BL, it double's up stats, affects win-loss ratios, and would probably force them to entirely restructure their database in order to get it to pop out the right statistics. That would cost money. And the AFL don't spend money on things like that. They'd rather spend it on their own salary packages, increasing their staff count by adding rules that nobody wants, hiring AFLX circus performers, and creating another ridiculous theme round.

Back