The "Ask Lions_Insider!" discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the AFL put seats back where the verandah is currently located? And what will be the deal with the Mates place?

Pretty sure the lack of seats is Gabba-initiated, AFL doesn't get a say.

Hi LI, it's clear our reserves are far too good for the NEAFL. Do you know if there's any discussion internally about moving the reserves to a more competitive league?

Like how GWS's reserves get to play in the AFL under the "Blues" trademark?

Any chance of doing some heritage Beanies and scarves for the Fitzroy and Bears supporters in 2020????

The Lions shop sells Bears scarves and they did have stripey maroon and gold beanies that had the Bears tag on them but I think they've sold out of those....

ETA: Can't comment on roys scarves or beanies because I don't buy those and when I say shop I mean the bricks and mortar one not the online one.

The Lions shop sells Bears scarves and they did have stripey maroon and gold beanies that had the Bears tag on them but I think they've sold out of those....
I'm a Fitzroy boy LionsMaw. The club would sell a lot to the Victorian supporters if they did a run of these, especially after the year we have had. If they wore the FFC jumper in more games in Vic, they'd be upping the membership down here too. The club needs to watch the Merger doco. There are simple things they could do to win over more Vic supporters. I love the lions and support them passionately, but as an old Fitzroy supporter, I will only wear a FFC football jumper.

I'm a Fitzroy boy LionsMaw. The club would sell a lot to the Victorian supporters if they did a run of these, especially after the year we have had. If they wore the FFC jumper in more games in Vic, they'd be upping the membership down here too. The club needs to watch the Merger doco. There are simple things they could do to win over more Vic supporters. I love the lions and support them passionately, but as an old Fitzroy supporter, I will only wear a FFC football jumper.

I'm from the Bears side of the family and while I would support a FFC jumper being worn down in Vic for a heritage round I would not support it being worn for every vic game. We are not Fitzroy only. I don't mean to come across as snarky but if you can't get behind a BRISBANE Lions team then maybe follow someone else.

As for the Merge doco, I think it's safe to say the Club have seen it.

ETA: This whole, 'The Club should play in a Roys jumper for their Victorian games' thing has been done to death.

Last edited:
I'm from the Bears side of the family and while I would support a FFC jumper being worn down in Vic for a heritage round I would not support it being worn for every vic game. We are not Fitzroy only. I don't mean to come across as snarky but if you can't get behind a BRISBANE Lions team then maybe follow someone else.

ETA: This whole, 'The Club should play in a Roys jumper for their Victorian games' thing has been done to death.

Completely understand. Not asking for all games just some. If we want to compete with the VFL, we need to devise other ways to increase the membership of the lions in Victoria. This is a simple way to do it. I know you didnt want to come across as snarky, but I find it a little insulting to suggest following another team. We have lost many a lions supporter to the merger. Simple things like this may persuade them to come back.

When you say "moving on-line shops" LI does that mean the on-line store will be based in Qld? And that there will be a larger range of stuff available?

More like they're moving website and e-commerce providers for their online store. Usually in that case you're trying to upload all your stock images, qty etc to the new site rather than replicate that work by updating the old website you're about to replace

Of course we are not Fitzroy only, but would it offend you THAT much if we wore a FFC jumper in Vic? I really think you underestimate how much that would mean to the old Roy supporters. I think it’s definitely unrealistic to expect to wear the jumper for every Vic match, but 2-3 matches would be wonderful.

Also a bit rich suggesting to follow someone else. If that comment was directed at me, I would be highly offended.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Retro merchandise sells out very quickly. Our Lions and Bears cap sold like hotcakes this year. We are planning to do more retro gear in the future.

Just a suggestion from one passionate Lions supporter (who followed the Roys from the early sixties) to another, if you wear a Brisbane Lions jumper to games you may also help to win over a few old Fitzroy supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course we are not Fitzroy only, but would it offend you THAT much if we wore a FFC jumper in Vic? I really think you underestimate how much that would mean to the old Roy supporters. I think it’s definitely unrealistic to expect to wear the jumper for every Vic match, but 2-3 matches would be wonderful.

I've suggested before that the Brisbane Lions might consider wearing the red FFC logo jumper once a year if they are drawn against Fitzroy's traditional rival Collingwood on a Saturday afternoon / night in Melbourne. Maybe Collingwood could even wear white shorts for the game allowing the full glory of the Fitzroy jumper with their traditional blue shorts.

The Fitzroy Football Club senior side (who still play in the red FFC logo jumper in the VAFA) could play a curtain raiser before the game.

Both of the above happened in Round 19 2003 and was one of the best days of football I've attended since Fitzroy left the AFL. Saw some old Fitzroy faces that day in the crowd I hadn't seen for a quite a while at an AFL match.

It could be a real opportunity to celebrate rich Fitzroy's AFL history each year, with some historical society events and other Fitzroy greats involved such as tossing the coin, in the rooms before and after the match, player reunions, interviews on Channel 7 and so on. Fox Footy could televise some of the great Fitzroy vs. Collingwood clashes of the past. It would be great promotion of the club in Victoria, especially to the Fitzroy supporter base which is still out there.

Do the same up in Queensland with a Brisbane home game for example against West Coast where the Bears identity is celebrated.

I've suggested before that the Brisbane Lions might consider wearing the red FFC logo jumper once a year if they are drawn against Fitzroy's traditional rival Collingwood on a Saturday afternoon / night in Melbourne. Maybe Collingwood could even wear white shorts for the game allowing the full glory of the Fitzroy jumper with their traditional blue shorts.

View attachment 753405

The Fitzroy Football Club senior side (who still play in the red FFC logo jumper in the VAFA) could play a curtain raiser before the game.

Both of the above happened in Round 19 2003 and was one of the best days of football I've attended since Fitzroy left the AFL. Saw some old Fitzroy faces that day in the crowd I hadn't seen for a quite a while at an AFL match.

It could be a real opportunity to celebrate rich Fitzroy's AFL history each year, with some historical society events and other Fitzroy greats involved such as tossing the coin, in the rooms before and after the match, player reunions, interviews on Channel 7 and so on. Fox Footy could televise some of the great Fitzroy vs. Collingwood clashes of the past. It would be great promotion of the club in Victoria, especially to the Fitzroy supporter base which is still out there.

Do the same up in Queensland with a Brisbane home game for example against West Coast where the Bears identity is celebrated.
Absolutely love the idea mate!! That would be massive and a day I would never forget. Let’s make it happen 😊

The Murray jumper this year was special, I picked up a player worn but probably wont don it as it’s more a display sort of piece personally.

A basic Fitzroy strip from the 90’s worn and made available to the people would sell and sell bloody well and will stir up a bit of emotion I reckon.
That jumper in my eyes is still visually by far the best jumper the league has seen.

Do we justify it as a business decision or a nostalgia/social capital decision? We can't do both. I understand there are commercial realities but for every attempted genuine gesture there are enough cynics seeing it from a glass half empty cynical marketing ploy perspective and they won't embrace it. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't. Those who see the merged identity as a sham are never going to be satisfied by any lip service and it's practically pointless to even try to go above and beyond on that front anymore. It's 23 years now and we won't be winning back any old Roy boys if they haven't been convinced yet.

Do we justify it as a business decision or a nostalgia/social capital decision? We can't do both. I understand there are commercial realities but for every attempted genuine gesture there are enough cynics seeing it from a glass half empty cynical marketing ploy perspective and they won't embrace it. We are damned if we do and damned if we don't. Those who see the merged identity as a sham are never going to be satisfied by any lip service and it's practically pointless to even try to go above and beyond on that front anymore. It's 23 years now and we won't be winning back any old Roy boys if they haven't been convinced yet.

I definitely think it can be both. Nostalgia sells and sells very well. Look at the action figure market for example. I’m a big masters of the universe fan and there are countless new products available that sell like hot cakes. There are a number of new figure lines from a range of companies, such as Mattel, Super 7, Pop Vynal etc. Even shops like JJs are producing retro t shirts and they are best sellers. I know this has nothing to do with football, but just making the point that people love nostalgia and pay good money for it.

In regards to not winning back any Roy boy fans, I agree that we won’t be winning back 10,000 members, but just a quick example from personal experience...

My whole family are/were Fitzroy nuts. All of the family bar a couple of uncles and cousins wholeheartedly embraced the merge. The ones that didn’t also attended the hall of fame function earlier this year. After seeing our boys run around in the Bulldog Murray jumper and hearing the great man speak on the night about his love for not only Fitzroy, but the Brisbane Lions, they realised that Fitzroy really does live on within the BLFC. Without exaggerating, the day after, all 5 of them purchased a BL membership. This may be an anomaly, but it’s certainly not too late to get more Fitzroy supporters on board.

Also a bit rich suggesting to follow someone else. If that comment was directed at me, I would be highly offended.

Would it offend me that much? Short answer? Yes. It would because then by that logic why not wear the Bears jumper in Brisbane?

So we would be wearing two DIFFERENT Club jumpers as well as the BRISBANE LIONS jumper for NSW, SA, and WA matches. And like I said before this particular point has been done to death over the years, we don't need to keep going over and over and over and over the same stuff.

We are the BRISBANE Lions now, we are not Fitzroy we are not the Bears. You don't like seeing the Brisbane Lions jumper? Well that's just too bad.

Would it offend me that much? Short answer? Yes. It would because then by that logic why not wear the Bears jumper in Brisbane?

So we would be wearing two DIFFERENT Club jumpers as well as the BRISBANE LIONS jumper for NSW, SA, and WA matches. And like I said before this particular point has been done to death over the years, we don't need to keep going over and over and over and over the same stuff.

We are the BRISBANE Lions now, we are not Fitzroy we are not the Bears. You don't like seeing the Brisbane Lions jumper? Well that's just too bad.
Talk about putting words into my mouth... Can you refer to the post where I stated that I dont like seeing the Brisbane Lions jumper? I don’t remember ever saying that, so please direct me to it. You have a lot of nerve mate.

Reread my post again. I said that it would be great to see us wear the FFC jumper a couple of times per year in Vic. Not EVERY match. I would love to see the boys run around in a retro bears jumper for a match as well FWIW.

If it offends you so much, then I won’t post what I really think about your comments, because I fear you would not get over it for a long time.

You say that we don’t need to be going over the same stuff, but you basically reposted what you said in your previous post.

Very poor form LionsMaw.

Choose love fellas.
Are you talking about love for the Brisbane Lions HK? If so, I have a lot of love for the BL. However, I don’t have much love for people that put words into people’s mouths, make assumptions or suggest that people barrack for another team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back