Mega Thread The assistant coaching discussion megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sun Tzu Buckaroo

Debutant
Dec 9, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
MOD EDIT:
There has been a lot of discussion about the assistant coaches so I am making this a megathread. All assistant coach discussion in here from now on please.

Besides Voss some other options thrown around include Ayres and Burns.

--------------------------

I hate Voss - hate him!

But if there was one experienced, hard nut coach we need to give our players a rocket then he's the one!

Seriously, our players need to be ripped a new one - and i can see Voss as a Senior Assistant having no problems in giving it to them (give him a million a year - what else is all the money for?) Lappin to go, Harvey almost better in development than seniors...

We are a pack of front running bogans with not enough skills at the moment - always getting ahead of ourselves and not thinking - or unable - to dramatically change and improve.

- Mini rant over -

I hate Voss - hate him!

But if there was one experienced, hard nut coach we need to give our players a rocket then he's the one!

Seriously, our players need to be ripped a new one - and i can see Voss as a Senior Assistant having no problems in giving it to them (give him a million a year - what else is all the money for?) Lappin to go, Harvey almost better in development than seniors...

We are a pack of front running bogans with not enough skills at the moment - always getting ahead of ourselves and not thinking - or unable - to dramatically change and improve.

- Mini rant over -

On what basis should we recruit Voss?

Voss was boned as senior coach sure - his side almost made the finals this year.

He was to ambitious at the start of his tenure - wanted glory too much.

His rebuild though was tracking well.

I don't want him as Senior Coach - he has some weaknesses - though experience would be a great teacher.

I want him as a midfield coach or senior assistant - Buckley to balance out his sore spots and him to give the club some hardness, mongrel and ticker.

Does anyone remember how often Malthouse used to rip into the players - what about Lyon and Clarkson for their respective teams?

Even Bomber Thompson fulfills that role at Essendon.

Can you see Lappin or Harvey doing it?

I love Bucks being so controlled - he sprays sparingly - but gee whiz, I wouldn't mind someone the players had a bit of fear for walking around the westpac centre.

Does anyone remember how often Malthouse used to rip into the players - what about Lyon and Clarkson for their respective teams?

Even Bomber Thompson fulfills that role at Essendon.

Can you see Lappin or Harvey doing it?

I love Bucks being so controlled - he sprays sparingly - but gee whiz, I wouldn't mind someone the players had a bit of fear for walking around the westpac centre.
Maybe we have moved on from "ripping into players".
Maybe they respond better to explanation and reasoning...like most people do in their jobs

I hate Voss - hate him!

- Mini rant over -
NEWSFLASH. Bucks and Voss don't get along. IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN. THEY HATE EACH OTHER!!!!!

Maybe we have moved on from "ripping into players".
Maybe they respond better to explanation and reasoning...like most people do in their jobs

Most of the time - sure -but, this is football - often referred to as 'war' by our captain - the corporate office is not the same in make-up, culture or requirement. You need Generals that plan and you need others that give you a goddamn rocket up the arse.

I'm not suggesting overboard - at the end of the day you must have the players respect to do this - but we need some more of it.

NEWSFLASH. Bucks and Voss don't get along. IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN. THEY HATE EACH OTHER!!!!!

Abraham Lincoln - Have a look at his cabinet and see what can be achieved. It's not a love fest - it's about an environment that can succeed.

Most of the time - sure -but, this is football - often referred to as 'war' by our captain - the corporate office is not the same in make-up, culture or requirement. You need Generals that plan and you need others that give you a goddamn rocket up the arse.

I'm not suggesting overboard - at the end of the day you must have the players respect to do this - but we need some more of it.
But its not war, it is people just trying to do the best they can.
Its education, its explanation, its instruction, its information...its not ranting and its not screaming

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But its not war, it is people just trying to do the best they can.
Its education, its explanation, its instruction, its information...its not ranting and its not screaming

I agree with you, but there is a martial element to football that requires something more - that's why Clarkson, Lyon, Thompson, Chris Scott, Malthouse have got some mongrel in them - it's not War, but is it also not just a corporate environment - it's Gladitorial.

I have watched footy for at least more than two years, therefore let's not recruit Voss as a coach. Seriously, his rebuilt the first time was one of the worst in history.

I agree with you, but there is a martial element to football that requires something more - that's why Clarkson, Lyon, Thompson, Chris Scott, Malthouse have got some mongrel in them - it's not War, but is it also not just a corporate environment - it's Gladitorial.
Ok then you should watch Craig Bellamy, the Harbaugh brothers, Jon Spoelstra and many others

I have watched footy for at least more than two years, therefore let's not recruit Voss as a coach. Seriously, his rebuilt the first time was one of the worst in history.
He suffered from Ambition - a very common trait in Champions like himself - I laughed at his audacity when he did it too. Please remember i can't stand the prick! But that shouldn't matter.

He has seemed to learn from his mistakes and his club is on the right track.

He also wouldn't be our Senior coach - an assistant under Bucks - with a more limited focus - with his recent experiences still fresh in his mind and no doubt harder to deal with than Lappin, Harvey and Eade - but if Bucks is good enough, if our management is good enough, if our culture if good enough - it could work.

Ok then you should watch Craig Bellamy, the Harbaugh brothers, Jon Spoelstra and many others

Horses for courses - my argument is that our current list needs a personality that can be combative at times - someone they respect, but can give the cage a rattle when we slip into mediocrity.

I think he could be good strategically and culturally.

He suffered from Ambition - a very common trait in Champions like himself - I laughed at his audacity when he did it too. Please remember i can't stand the prick! But that shouldn't matter.

He has seemed to learn from his mistakes and his club is on the right track.

He also wouldn't be our Senior coach - an assistant under Bucks - with a more limited focus - with his recent experiences still fresh in his mind and no doubt harder to deal with than Lappin, Harvey and Eade - but if Bucks is good enough, if our management is good enough, if our culture if good enough - it could work.
We are in agreement on all points except as getting him as a coach. He learnt from his mistakes yes because he damn well had to, he was lucky to still be there after the first effort. He is an excellent footballer and probably has a a good footy brain, but he lacks good application in my opinion. It's the same reason he used to punch players like Robert Harvey in the gut to try and beat them as a player, or giving Burns a massive spray over nothing, all things he says he regrets. He lives in the moment too much to be a good coach I think. Assistant or otherwise.

Voss also hates Collingwood and has never tried to hide it.

We are in agreement on all points except as getting him as a coach. He learnt from his mistakes yes because he damn well had to, he was lucky to still be there after the first effort. He is an excellent footballer and probably has a a good footy brain, but he lacks good application in my opinion. It's the same reason he used to punch players like Robert Harvey in the gut to try and beat them as a player, or giving Burns a massive spray over nothing, all things he says he regrets. He lives in the moment too much to be a good coach I think. Assistant or otherwise.

I think it's worth a try - you may be right though - it would always be a risk. But I see Ratten go to Hawthorn and think about the quality in their box and I see how they played on Friday night and think * me we are so far off the pace it's scary!

I think it's worth a try - you may be right though - it would always be a risk. But I see Ratten go to Hawthorn and think about the quality in their box and I see how they played on Friday night and think * me we are so far off the pace it's scary!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back