Mega Thread The assistant coaching discussion megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Voss also hates Collingwood and has never tried to hide it.

You can only offer it to him and see what he says - if he declined fine, if he said he hated us from his playing days and he wouldn't coach us as the reason I would be very surprised.

So coaches from different sports, Sun tzu has a point but he is also off base with the Voss call.

The best coaches in AFL history are all prone to great sprays to players and playing grps even peoples beloved MM, it rouses the group.

Thanks Loki - I'm happy to be wrong - I may well be off base - but something has to happen to change the way this club is heading. Voss could be great - he might be a disaster.

It's interesting to think about it though!

You can only offer it to him and see what he says - if he declined fine, if he said he hated us from his playing days and he wouldn't coach us as the reason I would be very surprised.

I think that the hatred is reciprocol. Certainly from a supporter perspective you won't find much love for him.

What did you think of his decision to recruit Fevola?

Poor. Voss was deluded by his own past greatness and what he thought he could achieve through the strength of his own character/conviction.

I think he would be much wiser now, but as Fevola proves some people never get it!

This question was raised on a previous thread and the response was "no" to Voss. Apparently his major failing at Brisbane was his inability to communicate.

I think we need to follow Richmond's lead and find a Ross Smith-type coach who can teach team defence. Not just for the backline but the whole team. Is there someone from Freo we could pinch? The way we are being cut up defensively even Holger Osieck would improve our backline (sarcasm intended)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This question was raised on a previous thread and the response was "no" to Voss. Apparently his major failing at Brisbane was his inability to communicate.

I think we need to follow Richmond's lead and find a Ross Smith-type coach who can teach team defence. Not just for the backline but the whole team. Is there someone from Freo we could pinch? The way we are being cut up defensively even Holger Osieck would improve our backline (sarcasm intended)

Perhaps Alan Richardson - but i doubt he'd ever come back.

With Voss, you'd most certainly have to interview his past colleagues and some players to see what went wrong and assess his flaws - there is a reason why you get boned - but if it is largely the 'Roos' chase then you might think Brisbane botched it and as a result a good assistant is now available.

Perhaps Alan Richardson - but i doubt he'd ever come back.

With Voss, you'd most certainly have to interview his past colleagues and some players to see what went wrong and assess his flaws - there is a reason why you get boned - but if it is largely the 'Roos' chase then you might think Brisbane botched it and as a result a good assistant is now available.

Its clear that Brisbane stuffed this up. Look at Freo and how they handled the Harvey/Lyon change. Of course it was a low act on Harvey and St Kilda but the Freo made sure that they had Lyon signed BEFORE sacking Harvey.
Back to Voss - the fact that he was even boned in the manner that he was worries me. And the apparent lack of communication skills sends alarm bells.
I'd rather look at Leigh Tudor or even Mark Harvey. And I've heard others suggest Ayres which I'm not opposed to

We should try to bring back Scott Burns imo.

Also op clearly didn't listen to the special comments from Voss in Saturday's game or he wouldn't of made this thread. I came out of that game confident that Brisbane made the correct decision in boning him

Also op clearly didn't listen to the special comments from Voss in Saturday's game or he wouldn't of made this thread. I came out of that game confident that Brisbane made the correct decision in boning him

Burns is favourite for the Eagles senior gig now, we missed our chance with him, he'll be an absolutely bloody sensational senior coach.

Please excuse my intrusion, but Vossy would be good for you guys in whats being talked about here. Have him with Scott Burns and he won't need to be reminded on how to give a spray. Oh and he would probably come for nothing if Buckley agreed to 1 thing, that is give Vossy what rightly should be his the 2002 Norm Smith Medal.

There are better options such as Woosha. Also, need to rebuild the assistant coaching set up - it doesn't seem to function very well and we've lost a lot of our talent to other clubs. That fact that no clubs are looking to recruit one of our assistants is probably a good indication of their standard.

Burns is favourite for the Eagles senior gig now, we missed our chance with him, he'll be an absolutely bloody sensational senior coach.
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. There's a lot of talk that they want a local though which makes Sumich a big chance. If Burns gets overlooked then we have to act because he is a seriously competent operator imo

Its clear that Brisbane stuffed this up. Look at Freo and how they handled the Harvey/Lyon change. Of course it was a low act on Harvey and St Kilda but the Freo made sure that they had Lyon signed BEFORE sacking Harvey.
Back to Voss - the fact that he was even boned in the manner that he was worries me. And the apparent lack of communication skills sends alarm bells.
I'd rather look at Leigh Tudor or even Mark Harvey. And I've heard others suggest Ayres which I'm not opposed to

I think Ayres might be the most likely...would also be happy with that. It's really about balance, which always changes as you add or subtract someone.

Although I think Voss would be a valuable addition to any side, I just don't think he would work well with Bucks. Both Bucks and Voss are young, inexperienced coaches and combining them together would be disastrous.

I am on the fence with Bucks, however, even though season 2013 is done and dusted, I still think he can do it for us. At the beginning of the year, I was a bit of a hater, but then I realised that his game plan/style is going to take a few years to get into the heads of our players. There is no point in ridding Bucks now. We may as well give him another year and see how he goes. I expect major improvements in 2014 and anything less than a top four spot would raise serious questions marks over Bucks ability to be a senior coach at this point in time.

I still think he was too raw to come into a senior position. He would have greatly benefited from a few more years under the wings of a senior, experienced coach.

Would love to have Voss at the club, but it won't happen and nor should it.

We need to replace our assistants.

Scott Burns should be top priority as a senior assistant.

Cameron Ling should be highly pursued.

Alan Richardson is the best going around. He developed our kids and did the same at Essendon and then Carlton. Look at the influence he is now having on Port's kids. The guy is a gun.

Our coaching setup is just plain mediocre with Lappin, Harvey and Hart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back