The Association Football AFL Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was it like to finally be at a GF? Did it live up to expectation? Exceed? Best moment? Any particular highlights?
The only sporting event that exceeds the day is winning a premiership yourself. The euphoric adrenaline rush from winning a grand final really is the only thing that surpasses Saturday. Atmosphere was great but not quite as noisy as a PF, which makes sense given PF's is the fans final and the GF has lots of neutral corporates.

Best moment had to be getting Ling flashbacks with Selwood's late goal.

The whole day feels like a series of highlights but Joel making the news in the US for being a great human being would be the one.

Don't remember any injured players in 14 but yes thought after 16 he'd learnt his lesson. Evidently not.
Met up with a table of Swans fan friends at some bar pre-game. They were all relaxed as they were underdogs not expected to win and wondered why I was nervous. Weight of expectation and all that. Then found out the final team news and became very calm and confident, when they asked why I pointed to the one pies fan in the group (who got a ticket to see his BF Dangerfield) and simply said that playing a GF against a team with an injured Reid worked out well the last time (flippantly). He's probably lucky the score was a belting, a close loss would have been blamed purely on him.
Too good...

Thought 14 tackles and 23 touches for Parker was decent.
My mates thought he was one of the worst, said they'd not seen him get beaten so badly in ages.
David King gave him a big clip this morning too. They ran through each quarter and he clipped him for Q1 and Q2.

My mates thought he was one of the worst, said they'd not seen him get beaten so badly in ages.
David King gave him a big clip this morning too. They ran through each quarter and he clipped him for Q1 and Q2.

Didn't do a lot with ball in hand but not sure his effort can be faulted.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
For sure but I guess I'm saying if he can't mark it, at least impact the contest. While it wasn't to his advantage, I still think he could have done better. McLean not sighted either. But yes not sure why we went the long bomb in a panic, whenever we lowered our eyes we looked so much better and got a goal for Mills in the 2nd quarter as a result. In fact we stopped the bleeding in the second and if we'd got the first of the third things might have looked different.

I was still a little nervy at HT, but when Duncan was rewarded a free-kick for a holding the ball to kick the first of the 3rd, I started to think “yep, this is ours”.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
One of our ITK‘s said the Bowes trade might be more complicated than first thought. GC could ask for a 1st rounder back.

It will be, no clubs know exactly how these wage dump deals will work out. It's a test case.

They would have to be getting something juicy back so a late first rounder will probs be it.

It will be, no clubs know exactly how these wage dump deals will work out. It's a test case.

Will Brody was a salary dump last season. Clubs know how it will work out.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
i guess the concept of the salary dump is popular in american sports, but their transaction rules are a lot more lax than ours. slightly amusing that all this 'help' from the afl in terms of increasing their salary cap and list size has come back to bite them. having to give up pick 7 to get rid of a player is quite a massive impact on gold coast, something that doesnt seem to be represented properly. and im sure jack bowes feels real good about all this too.

Probably Dalhaus and Rowan. Higgins already has. Reckon Selwood is probably leaning yes, so that would be 4 and easily free up about 1.5m or so.

Believe Rohan is going one more year and retiring next year, although the flag might have changed his thinking.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC

They would have to be getting something juicy back so a late first rounder will probs be it.
You're kidding. Would you want to be paying a VFL player 850k for the next 2 years. May as well make it like the NBA where you can buy draft picks.
3rd rounder going back at best.

Gold Coast cannot afford to use the draft pick or keep Bowes.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United

You're kidding. Would you want to be paying a VFL player 850k for the next 2 years. May as well make it like the NBA where you can buy draft picks.
3rd rounder going back at best.

Gold Coast cannot afford to use the draft pick or keep Bowes.

I am going Babz all over this in two weeks.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
Smith is going around for 1 more year, he’ll be 34 next season.

Higgins is already done, I think Dahlhaus will be next. Selwood most likely along with Rohan too but I think Rohan goes 1 more. After 2023 we’ll likely have Hawkins, 2E, Smith, possibly Danger and possibly Stanley retire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back