The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course it was going to be an umpire. Inside info would have to come from them.
I just can’t imagine what sort of bet(s) this was for. AFL umpires probably don’t get a run down of week to week voting and who is leading the count.

I just can’t imagine what sort of bet(s) this was for. AFL umpires probably don’t get a run down of week to week voting and who is leading the count.

Would assume the standard '3 Brownlow Votes in a Game' market.

I saw somewhere it was for the 3-2-1 in one game.

As soon as Karl amon got more votes than rozee the investigation should've started

Speculation it was round 1 Carlton v Richmond Cripps had 30 possessions 3 goals , Cerra 3votes ,Cripps 0.
I could be wrong but apparently Pell didn't umpire any Carlton games.

It's not really what's in question either. It's not the results that they're worried about, more that someone knew what they were.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's pretty stupid from the bettors. Apparently they did it across several bookies and were betting up to $7k a round. How did they not think someone may notice when you don't get a single one wrong.

7k is chump change, I'm sure our mate was rolling more than that onto some games. :tearsofjoy:

7k is chump change, I'm sure our mate was rolling more than that onto some games. :tearsofjoy:
Yeah but he was also getting some wrong haha. If he'd landed absolutely all of them, I'm sure they'd be looking at him as well haha.

I assume that some of these games must've had surprise 3 vote getters. If they were all $1.10 or something, you'd assume it wouldn't stick out that much.

I could be wrong but apparently Pell didn't umpire any Carlton games.

It's not really what's in question either. It's not the results that they're worried about, more that someone knew what they were.

Michael Pell umpired 16 games this year (his first year promoted to the senior umpire list).

Not willing to go through the entire list to find his 16 games though lol.

Michael Pell umpired 16 games this year (his first year promoted to the senior umpire list).

Not willing to go through the entire list to find his 16 games though lol.
Fox Footy has it:

Round 1: Hawthorn def North Melbourne
Round 2: Brisbane def Essendon
Round 3: GWS def Gold Coast
Round 4: Richmond def Western Bulldogs
Round 5: St Kilda def Gold Coast
Round 6: Fremantle def Carlton
Round 7: GWS def Adelaide
Round 8: Essendon def Hawthorn
Round 9: Sydney def Essendon
Round 10: Western Bulldogs def Gold Coast
Round 11: Port Adelaide def Essendon
Round 14: Geelong def West Coast
Round 15: Port Adelaide def Gold Coast
Round 16: Collingwood def Gold Coast
Round 18: North Melbourne def Richmond
Round 20: Gold Coast def West Coast
And then the below from reddit.
  • Round 1 Hawthorn Vs North. Jiath 3, 2. L.McDonald (NM) 1. T.Mitchell (HAW).
  • Round 2, Essendon vs Brisbane. 3. L.Neale (BL) 2. H.McCluggage (BL) 1. Z.Merrett (ESS)
  • Round 3, GWS vs Gold Coast. 3. T.Green (GWS) 2. T.Taranto (GWS) 1. J.Kelly (GWS)
  • Round 4, Richmond vs Bulldogs, 3. D.Prestia (RIC) 2. J.Short (RIC) 1. S.Bolton (RIC)
  • Round 5, St Kilda vs Gold Coast, 3. J.Higgins (STK) 2. J.Steele (STK) 1. T.Miller (GC)
  • Round 6, Freemantle vs Carlton. 3. P.Cripps (CAR) 2. R.Lobb (FRE) 1. A.Pearce (FRE)
  • Round 7, Adelaide vs GWS. 3. J.Kelly (GWS) 2. J.Hogan (GWS) 1. I.Cumming (GWS)
  • Round 8, Essendon vs Hawthorn. 3. P.Wright (ESS) 2. Z.Merrett (ESS) 1. J.Newcombe (HAW)
  • Round 9, Sydney vs Essendon. 3. C.Mills (SYD) 2. C.Warner (SYD) 1. T.Papley (SYD)
  • Round 10, Bulldogs vs Gold Coast. 3. M.Bontempelli (WB) 2. J.Macrae (WB) 1. A.Naughton
  • Round 11, Port Adelaide vs Essendon. 3. S.Powell-Pepper (PA) 2. D.Parish (ESS) 1. O.Wines
  • Round 14, West Coast vs Geelong. 3. C.Guthrie (GEE) 2. S.Menegola (GEE) 1. T.Stengle (GEE)
  • Round 15, Port Adelaide vs Gold Coast. 3. K.Amon (PA) 2. T.Miller (GC) 1. C.Rozee (GC)
  • Round 16, Gold Coast vs Collingwood. 3. N.Daicos (COL) 2. T.Miller (GC) 1. I.Rankine (GC)
  • Round 18, North vs Richmond. 3. C.Zurhaar (NM) 2. J.Simpkin (NM) 1. L.Davies-Uniacke

Fox Footy has it:

• Round 2, Essendon vs Brisbane. 3. L.Neale (BL) 2. H.McCluggage (BL) 1. Z.Merrett (ESS)
  • Round 3, GWS vs Gold Coast. 3. T.Green (GWS) 2. T.Taranto (GWS) 1. J.Kelly (GWS)
  • Round 4, Richmond vs Bulldogs, 3. D.Prestia (RIC) 2. J.Short (RIC) 1. S.Bolton (RIC)
  • Round 5, St Kilda vs Gold Coast, 3. J.Higgins (STK) 2. J.Steele (STK) 1. T.Miller (GC)
  • Round 6, Freemantle vs Carlton. 3. P.Cripps (CAR) 2. R.Lobb (FRE) 1. A.Pearce (FRE)
  • Round 7, Adelaide vs GWS. 3. J.Kelly (GWS) 2. J.Hogan (GWS) 1. I.Cumming (GWS)
  • Round 8, Essendon vs Hawthorn. 3. P.Wright (ESS) 2. Z.Merrett (ESS) 1. J.Newcombe (HAW)
  • Round 9, Sydney vs Essendon. 3. C.Mills (SYD) 2. C.Warner (SYD) 1. T.Papley (SYD)
  • Round 10, Bulldogs vs Gold Coast. 3. M.Bontempelli (WB) 2. J.Macrae (WB) 1. A.Naughton
  • Round 11, Port Adelaide vs Essendon. 3. S.Powell-Pepper (PA) 2. D.Parish (ESS) 1. O.Wines
  • Round 14, West Coast vs Geelong. 3. C.Guthrie (GEE) 2. S.Menegola (GEE) 1. T.Stengle (GEE)
  • Round 15, Port Adelaide vs Gold Coast. 3. K.Amon (PA) 2. T.Miller (GC) 1. C.Rozee (GC)
  • Round 16, Gold Coast vs Collingwood. 3. N.Daicos (COL) 2. T.Miller (GC) 1. I.Rankine (GC)
  • Round 18, North vs Richmond. 3. C.Zurhaar (NM) 2. J.Simpkin (NM) 1. L.Davies-Uniacke
There you go. So the one game he did of ours, we lost by 35 - Cripps had 32 and kicked 3.1.

I think the other point is that he wasn't solely responsible for picking the votes for any game either. He could weigh in but I don't really think he could manipulate them himself.

Fox Footy has it:

Just a single error that Fox Sport has incorrectly said Round 20, Gold Coast vs Brisbane. But he didn’t umpire that one.

Looking at some assignments for umpires this year. I am surprised to see Razor Ray only umpired 6 games this year.

There you go. So the one game he did of ours, we lost by 35 - Cripps had 32 and kicked 3.1.

I think the other point is that he wasn't solely responsible for picking the votes for any game either. He could weigh in but I don't really think he could manipulate them himself.

I am just totally baffled that Michael Pell goes into umpiring as his profession, gets promoted for the first time only this year to umpire AFL games and has now potentially destroyed his career before it’s had a chance to get underway. I don’t get that at all.

Fox Footy has it:

It's the SPP 3 votes that blew it

It's the SPP 3 votes that blew it
It's his mates backing only winners that blew it...

If they had have thrown some larger losing bets in I don't think it gets noticed.

It's his mates backing only winners that blew it...

If they had have thrown some larger losing bets in I don't think it gets noticed.
A lot of the other wins would be chump change though. The SPP 3 would have paid heaps looking at the stats he wouldn't be top 8-10 on the ground that day.

They really could have got away with it doing it smarter

Tom Lonergan has come to Carlton as a development / talent manager. Very happy with getting some premiership pedigree at the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back