The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of the 10 biggest current contracts most signed with other teams. Trout and Tatis only exceptions

That’s true. Players leaving via trade (if the team decides they are rebuilding/FA) but then sign away their futures to the one team in their very next contract. I see it as loyal.

I think all of that falls into the, “Geelong are very successful/here are some stats over the last 15 years” bracket that I posted. So basically why should you care about a bit of criticism? Any AFL supporter would love to support a successful club like Geelong. I have criticised the trade taking Henry from Collingwood to Geelong but it’s over and when preseason officially starts, it will be in the past.

And you’re right, that Covid has brought into focus the importance of being closer to family and friends. You sometimes lose sight of that when it’s someone else’s life you’re talking about, in this case a professional athlete.
On the flip side why should anyone care why a footballer moved club?

None of it falls into the ''successful'' bracket at all. It has nothing to do with that at all.
It is purely disagreeing with a completely rubbish collective viewpoint on what constitutes a good reason to leave.

I think people would give Henry less s**t if that's what he said and playing with his brother, etc. When you can see through the blatant lie it annoys
Virtually one of the only things to verifiably come from his camp (that is not a media report but actual quotes) does exactly that. States big factor was playing with his brother.

On the flip side why should anyone care why a footballer moved club?

None of it falls into the ''successful'' bracket at all. It has nothing to do with that at all.
It is purely disagreeing with a completely rubbish collective viewpoint on what constitutes a good reason to leave.

In most cases, no one does. Players go to other clubs all the time and for different reasons. Current club is rebuilding, current club is a mess, going back to home state, surplus to requirements at current club, current club has a salary squeeze.

Virtually one of the only things to verifiably come from his camp (that is not a media report but actual quotes) does exactly that. States big factor was playing with his brother.

I strongly believe that this was always his intention (considering his own comments pre draft and all the Geelong ITK's who predicted it) which is why I don't have an issue with players being up front about that pre draft e.g. Perkins, Smith etc in recent years. It's much better that they be honest and up front so that the club can move on to a player they actually have a shot at developing long term.

This isn't a Geelong dig, but Bruhn is another good example. I remember watching that draft and from the look on his face when GWS selected him it was clear as day that he'd be requesting a trade first chance he got.

I strongly believe that this was always his intention (considering his own comments pre draft and all the Geelong ITK's who predicted it) which is why I don't have an issue with players being up front about that pre draft e.g. Perkins, Smith etc in recent years. It's much better that they be honest and up front so that the club can move on to a player they actually have a shot at developing long term.

This isn't a Geelong dig, but Bruhn is another good example. I remember watching that draft and from the look on his face when GWS selected him it was clear as day that he'd be requesting a trade first chance he got.
plus even when a player is upfront the club can still decide to draft them anyways and try to change their mind. I think players should be much more open with clubs at the draft

There's so many complications with that.

It's indirectly draft tampering really.
the draft has been so ****ed for over a decade at least does it really matter anymore? saves at least 2 years of development, time, effort and money into someone who is going to leave anyways. im sure it probably happens currently anyways, especially the vic metro kids.

A draftee should inform every single club he doesn’t want to play for, that he doesn’t want those clubs to draft him.

If a FA wants to leave, he should nominate a state, not a club.

Don’t underpay for a player in a trade because you will upset the player.

I have read every single one of those on here.

the draft has been so cactus for over a decade at least does it really matter anymore? saves at least 2 years of development, time, effort and money into someone who is going to leave anyways. im sure it probably happens currently anyways, especially the vic metro kids.
Then why bother at all with a draft?

Do it the NRL way and have clubs sign them as juniors/pathway players and be done with it.

Then why bother at all with a draft?

Do it the NRL way and have clubs sign them as juniors/pathway players and be done with it.
So we can go back to the Blues/Hawks duopoly paying more money for the best kids. No thanks

The draft has seen 15/18 make a GF since 2000. 13/18 win a premiership and 17/18 finish bottom 4. The draft is broken rhetoric is pure hysteria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So we can go back to the Blues/Hawks duopoly paying more money for the best kids. No thanks

The draft has seen 15/18 make a GF since 2000. 13/18 win a premiership and 17/18 finish bottom 4. The draft is broken rhetoric is pure hysteria.
I'll be very interested to see those stats of yours in the next 20 years.

Already in the last 12 years we've seen 2 teams win 3 each, 1 team win 2 each. 8 out of 12 years won by 3 teams.

The further you go back the better it looks, recent history tells a slightly different story though.

Already in the last 12 years we've seen 2 teams win 3 each, 1 team win 2 each. 8 out of 12 years won by 3 teams.

The further you go back the better it looks, recent history tells a slightly different story though.

While this is true you still have every team bar two or three making at least a PF in the last 12 years. Think it's just Carlton, GCS and Essendon who haven't. You can't really fault the system just because good teams have won the flag, if every team is getting the opportunity to play deep in Finals.

But the most recent history has little to do with the most recent drafting.

There’s a time lag between drafting and becoming a premiership calibre team. Often 5+ years.

Essendon, Brisbane, Port Adelaide, Sydney, West Coast, Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Western Bulldogs, Richmond and Melbourne have each won at least one GF. Not quite 13 but 11 is still a good amount of clubs in the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back