The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
We seem to have a thing for Collingwood players.

Seedsman, Crocker, Brown, Madgen (SANFL) and now this guy.

Not sure why. With the exception of Seedsman that is a very ordinary list.

The Madge will be a good pickup at SANFL level though. He's a very limited player but an excellent character.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
across his career as a recruiter, what has he actually done to keep being employed?

Being able to take a step back and look at his time at Carlton without blue coloured glasses on, the club are very fortunate for the 2015 draft because SOS lucked out with that one and selected three of the best selections in the top 12. The following years were a mess with some of his 1st round picks (Dow, SPS, LOB at pick 3, 6 and 10) being busts. The Liam Stocker live pick trade, which I liked at the time as SOS was getting who he wanted, but can now see that SOS was just being too cute with that one. Some trades and big FA signings that haven’t exactly worked out. Giving a huge 5 year contract to Mitch McGovern. I am just glad that my club now has a proper list manager and not someone who turned out to be a personality moonlighting as a list manager.

I can’t say much for his GWS years as that was in the first 2-3 years of them becoming a club. But now you have SOS at St Kilda and two massive egos working side by side. I am struggling to see how this doesn’t blow up in their face.

Last edited:
It's a s**t rule, if they just policed the mark properly it wouldn't be an issue or if players were smart enough to take advantage of an opponent moving from the mark.
How do you expect them to take advantage of the man on the mark being able to move side to side?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles

Very entertaining watch. Good nostalgia.

Have watched that game several times (I've had few good moments to watch as a Carlton fan as you well know).

It's amazing how different the game changes in 10 years.

But also, seeing the different players who I've forgotten is always fun as well.

Judd in the third quarter, lifting the team on one leg, Garlett with the run away goal. The two Tigers idiots competing in the ruck against each other...and hitting it straight to Gibbs to start our run.

Also, beating the Tigers from 9th was just incredible haha.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
What's happened now?
Multiple women have detailed allegations to the AFL of threats and harassment by Tarryn Thomas

Multiple women have detailed allegations to the AFL of harassment and threatening and intimidating behaviour by North Melbourne star Tarryn Thomas.

At least one of the women has been provided with a psychologist by the league after being hospitalised as a result of an incident last year.

The AFL said the behaviour alleged to them was “family violence” and offered to facilitate meetings with detectives from a family violence investigation unit.

Thomas, 22, has faced no disciplinary action from the league or his club over his alleged conduct.

He was charged this month with threatening to distribute an intimate image following a three-month police investigation involving another woman.

Allegations against Thomas detailed to the AFL integrity unit include:

● Telling a woman he wanted to beat her and calling her names such as “a ****”.

● Throwing a lamp at a woman in a hotel room.

● Sending threatening text messages, declaring “your time is coming” and that he was “going to bash” a woman’s friend.

● A verbal and physical altercation at a Prahran nightclub.

The AFL integrity department informed one of the women last July that the behaviour alleged to them was “not acceptable”.

In a flurry of text messages, Thomas tells a woman: “You’re a f —king joke … keep talking sh-t … sh-t going to come around soon … your turn will come … sh-t is going to go down … I’m not a n---- to be f —ked with.”

Another woman claimed of Thomas in a text to friends last year: “I’m too scared … i know he’s gonna kill me”.

Another victim has detailed how Thomas sent intimate pictures he had taken of her to others.

Two of the women have expressed disappointment at the AFL’s handling of their complaints.

One victim told the Herald Sun: “It’s discouraging to see that the AFL and North Melbourne are aware how many women have (made allegations against Tarryn), yet it is still being overlooked.

“It feels as though Tarryn is untouchable and the women he has affected have been silenced, due to fear and power imbalance. The women affected have been offered counselling sessions by the AFL which just feels like an attempt to keep us at bay by making us feel like they care and are supporting us so we are less inclined to speak up.

“Tarryn is being treated like he has committed a white-collar crime but there is nothing white-collar about threatening, intimidating, abusing, assaulting and stalking multiple women. This makes me feel like he is untouchable and on a pedestal and I question whether this would be the same had it been a different player or team”.

The AFL reached out to several of the women on Monday after the Herald Sun put questions to the league about Thomas’ alleged conduct.

The move caused further distress to one victim who claimed: “The AFL just protect their own, they don’t care. I’m over it.

“Tarryn hasn’t had a ban or fine or taken a pay cut, hasn’t put out any public statements, hasn’t made any public or personal apologies, North Melbourne haven’t done any of that either. All they did was cover up for him all year last year while he played VFL because he was too busy partying, stalking girls, threatening us and going to court. They covered it all up.

“He’s psychologically traumatised me for the rest of my life. I’m in so much treatment to work through the damage he’s caused”.

An AFL spokesperson said on Tuesday: “Any allegation of threats of violence against women is unacceptable and is behaviour that the AFL takes extremely seriously. The AFL has worked with Victoria Police regarding North Melbourne player Tarryn Thomas and after receiving some new information put to us by the Herald Sun, the AFL reached out directly to those persons known to us.

“The AFL has offered and will continue to provide wellbeing support to any person who has come forward with an allegation.

“The AFL has investigated all formal complaints where appropriate and where there have been allegations of criminal behaviour have facilitated contact with Victoria Police who are the most appropriate body to investigate allegations of that nature.

“Tarryn Thomas is currently the subject of criminal charges over a reported incident and while that matter is yet to be finalised in court, the AFL will continue to work with NMFC and Victoria Police and will monitor the outcome of the police action.”

The Herald Sun is not suggesting the allegations against Thomas are true, only that they have been made.

North Melbourne declined to comment.

Thomas, drafted at pick eight in the 2018 AFL draft, is regarded as one of North’s most promising players.

This is now all out in the public, so let’s see the league and North Melbourne do nothing. Tarryn should get sacked.

Andrew Lovett was axed by St Kilda and then found not guilty.

Stood down for sure. Sacked if found guilty imo

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United

Okay, that’s a good point of course. I was talking from a position of frustrating that sportspeople have gotten away with shitting behaviour. But we need to wait to see what comes out of this, because it’s just allegations at the moment.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo

Only not guilty because it couldn't be proved?

Don't think you could find a bigger scum bag than Lovett if you tried. Hes a relative of a relative and hes done a lot of horrible things in his life time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back