The Association Football AFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
6 culled already with possibly 4 more to depart in one way or another. Fair cleanout.

FoxSports reporting that Hannebery has told the Swans he wants out.

Reckon we could be quite active at the trade table, expect a potential 4-5 to be at another club next year.

Looks like Dahlhaus and Rohan will be at the Cats.

Reckon we could be quite active at the trade table, expect a potential 4-5 to be at another club next year.

Looks like Dahlhaus and Rohan will be at the Cats.
Quite mad isn't it. Will never happen but would love Jayden Hunt.
We need Wojo mk.II

Sounds like we'll hold onto Kelly though.

In exchange for Murdoch. So nil-nil draw.
Nothing to melt over really.

One pacy journeyman for another.

At least Murdoch is a lot more durable and would surely command less coin?

6 culled already with possibly 4 more to depart in one way or another. Fair cleanout.

FoxSports reporting that Hannebery has told the Swans he wants out.

Ah the old pre-emptive break up, when you know you're about to get dumped so you get in first to save face.

I thought that’s what you were talking about with the dump before getting dumped
Thought he was talking about Geelong

Not alot of transparency going around in this fred at the moment

Geelong absolutely need a clean out and hit the draft instead of continuing to trade away their top picks for B graders/mature types. They've had some success at the draft with their VFL types and later picks who've turned into decent role players or much better, such in Kelly's or Stewart's case, but time to nail some top end talent imo. A free agent like Dahlhaus may help their list also as they're not throwing away trade capital on him.

Last ten years or so

2007 Taylor pick 17, tick
2008 Mitch Brown pick 15, bust
2009 Menzel pick 17, not quite a tick nor a bust, unlucky obviously
2010 Smedts pick 15, bust
2012 Thurlow pick 16, bust
2013 Lang pick 16, bust
2014 Cockatoo pick 10, heading towards bust

Gotta start nailing these picks when they get them again imo. They've done very well with second rounders the last two years in Parfitt, Stewart, Fogarty and Kelly, while Constable could be decent too when he gets a run eventually. This run here has to be the same for those mid-late first rounders.

I just mean we're looking to trade him.
Yeah I think it's best for both parties he asks for the move than you shop him around in trade week. You'll still get a premium for him with him wanting out when you guys already want him out and would probably take less than you'll currently be offered if you know what I mean. Don't think it's a bad blood situation between the parties and if anything of the 3 parties involved you'll both be winners and the 3rd party (hopefully not Carlton) the loser

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I think it's best for both parties he asks for the move than you shop him around in trade week. You'll still get a premium for him with him wanting out when you guys already want him out and would probably take less than you'll currently be offered if you know what I mean. Don't think it's a bad blood situation between the parties and if anything of the 3 parties involved you'll both be winners and the 3rd party (hopefully not Carlton) the loser

Will we? Less premium when a player has asked to leave as the player has the leverage not the club..

If anything this is the worse scenario from the club point of view..

Will we? Less premium when a player has asked to leave as the player has the leverage not the club..

If anything this is the worse scenario from the club point of view..
Nah I reckon if you actively try and push someone out a club would call your bluff on it and know you'd be happy to take anything. Not sure how the Saints go about getting a pick in the 15-25 range but that's what I see you getting for him. If you pushed him out I doubt you get a late first rounder

Nah I reckon if you actively try and push someone out a club would call your bluff on it and know you'd be happy to take anything. Not sure how the Saints go about getting a pick in the 15-25 range but that's what I see you getting for him. If you pushed him out I doubt you get a late first rounder

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.. Historically when a player wants out, they and the buying club hold the cards.

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.. Historically when a player wants out, they and the buying club hold the cards.
Yeah they do hold the cards and get to where they want.

I just think if you really wanted to push a player out you'd be worse off because everyone would know that you don't want them. At least when the player demands a move you can play the card of he is contracted and a wanted player so we'd like X but eventually get Y. If you shop him around too hard during trade week a smart club would just wait it out and know that late in the piece you'll accept anything

Thought he was talking about Geelong

Not alot of transparency going around in this fred at the moment

Geelong absolutely need a clean out and hit the draft instead of continuing to trade away their top picks for B graders/mature types. They've had some success at the draft with their VFL types and later picks who've turned into decent role players or much better, such in Kelly's or Stewart's case, but time to nail some top end talent imo. A free agent like Dahlhaus may help their list also as they're not throwing away trade capital on him.

Last ten years or so

2007 Taylor pick 17, tick
2008 Mitch Brown pick 15, bust
2009 Menzel pick 17, not quite a tick nor a bust, unlucky obviously
2010 Smedts pick 15, bust
2012 Thurlow pick 16, bust
2013 Lang pick 16, bust
2014 Cockatoo pick 10, heading towards bust

Gotta start nailing these picks when they get them again imo. They've done very well with second rounders the last two years in Parfitt, Stewart, Fogarty and Kelly, while Constable could be decent too when he gets a run eventually. This run here has to be the same for those mid-late first rounders.
Good thing he's changed his tune then. After hitting "injury in TAC year" gold with Selwood he's tried it again and again. Cockatoo and Lang were injured in U18's gambles that so far haven't paid off. Brown, Smedts and Thurlow can all be attributed to their injuries in career as to why they failed. That approach has seemingly shifted.

Brown, Menzel and Smedts in particular missed lots of footy injured.
Thurlow has just been a shadow of himself since the ACL. It happens.

These factors for mine muddy the waters as to whether he drafted bad players, drafted unluckily (injuries) or if he drafted good footballers who we didn't develop properly.

Lang would be the first one, talented but a tad timid. Doesn't go when it's his turn.
Menzel would be option b. I do believe Bomber when he said back in 2010 he was destined to be a top 10 footballer. We all know what happened.
Smedts would be either A or B but can't tell. He had skills early on.
Brown definitely was B and C. Supremely skilled footballer, great kick but just didn't come on here due to shoulder injuries and being shunted to numerous positions. 2,1,0,3,1,3,2,1,0,2,3 goals since getting his place back at the end of this year. 1.8 goals a game. We didn't develop him well enough.
Cockatoo appears to be B atm. Hasn't strung 6+ games together at either level since he arrived. Could also be A due to poorly drafting an injury riddled footballer.
Thurlow was a reach, and one that cost us Grundy, so A and B for mine. Should have been taken later but that ACL has cruelled him somewhat.

We don't "need" to do anything. This hit the draft ideology isn't the panacea many think it is.
More fail with a draft heaps of kids approach than those that succeed.

I'd say that not finishing bottom 4 in the post-zone era (1991-now) would suggest we're doing ok.
Personally I think we could easily miss finals next year but am nowhere near alarmed.

Geelongs problem won’t be in 2019 and may not even be in 2020. But in 2021 Danger will be 31, Joel Selwood 33, GAJ retired and you’d probably expect Tim Kelly to be in WA by then. That’s the whole midfield gone or old within 2-3 years. The question is who comes in to replace that quality? Is it the 18-21 y.o. they draft this year or do they top up with 25-27 y.o. A-grader?

Told you Lang was a handbagger! Some of the softest efforts I’ve ever seen by a professional were by him this season
Lol incorrect use of the term.
Geelongs problem won’t be in 2019 and may not even be in 2020. But in 2021 Danger will be 31, Joel Selwood 33, GAJ retired and you’d probably expect Tim Kelly to be in WA by then. That’s the whole midfield gone or old within 2-3 years. The question is who comes in to replace that quality? Is it the 18-21 y.o. they draft this year or do they top up with 25-27 y.o. A-grader?
Meh is that all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back