The Association Football AFL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um really?

Yes, really. I don't see what is wrong with the normal schedule of games considering ANZAC Day falls on a Thursday this year. What was the point of putting a game on Wednesday for no reason?

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
I must say I thought it’d be a thrashing at quarter time, but close finish in the end. Tense final few minutes.

Not sure what to think about the pre game entertainment on Anzac Day, is the first year they’ve done that? Not sure if that’s necessary.

Yes, really. I don't see what is wrong with the normal schedule of games considering ANZAC Day falls on a Thursday this year. What was the point of putting a game on Wednesday for no reason?

"For no reason" wtf? It's the night before a Public Holiday. There's almost always an AFL game on the night before a public holiday.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Don’t care if the boos were aimed at Pendlebury or not bombers supporters are the last ones who should be doing that sort of s**t after their tears over a drug cheat being booed

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
Don’t care if the boos were aimed at Pendlebury or not bombers supporters are the last ones who should be doing that sort of s**t after their tears over a drug cheat being booed
it's sport, everyone's a hypocrite.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
it's sport, everyone's a hypocrite.
I’ve got no problem with booing opposition during a game but while they accept an award and speak is so disrespectful. Especially someone as likeable as Pendlebury. I hate Collingwood and love seeing them lose grand finals but he has always been hard to dislike

That's all secondary for me. They booed during Pendles receiving the ANZAC Medal.

Complete lack of class on our solemnest of days to boo at that moment, but these are the campaigners who hero worshipped Hird and defended cheats.
Despicable club from top to bottom.

Last edited:

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
That's all secondary for me. They booed during Pendles receiving the ANZAC Medal.

Complete lack of class on our solemnest of days to boo at that moment, but these are the campaigners who hero worshipped Hird and defended cheats.
Despicable club from top to bottom.
You’re being a bit precious there, Doc. It’s not like they were booing during the pre-game ceremony, last post or Australian anthem. No one was even booing at Pendles for that matter. It’s obvious what their boos were directed at and IMO it’s the biggest problem in the game at the moment.

You’re being a bit precious there, Doc. It’s not like they were booing during the pre-game ceremony, last post or Australian anthem. No one was even booing at Pendles for that matter. It’s obvious what their boos were directed at and IMO it’s the biggest problem in the game at the moment.
I know they were booing the umps, and there were some questionable calls, which were in their back half.
Given the way they were using the footy (Hai Shiel) there's no guarantee it'd have made a pinch of difference, but all fans would boo a perceived rough end of the pineapple from the umps.

Just think it was a little classless to boo during a medal ceremony that is meant to be awarded based on ANZAC spirit. I can't even recall the umps being there at that point. There's a time and place, and during the game and its immediate aftermath are that place. When SP is accepting his medal is not that time and Bucks was right to call it out.

The biggest problem in the game is the muddle the rules committee over the last 10-15 years has got the rules in, there is so much grey area now that umpiring must be bloody hard. Ran into one of the best umps the game has seen of years past Brett Allen last week and that was his sentiment too. He empathises with the rule set they've been given and expected to perform at a high level, not yet full time either btw.

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I know they were booing the umps, and there were some questionable calls, which were in their back half.
Given the way they were using the footy (Hai Shiel) there's no guarantee it'd have made a pinch of difference, but all fans would boo a perceived rough end of the pineapple from the umps.

Just think it was a little classless to boo during a medal ceremony that is meant to be awarded based on ANZAC spirit. I can't even recall the umps being there at that point. There's a time and place, and during the game and its immediate aftermath are that place. When SP is accepting his medal is not that time and Bucks was right to call it out.

The biggest problem in the game is the muddle the rules committee over the last 10-15 years has got the rules in, there is so much grey area now that umpiring must be bloody hard. Ran into one of the best umps the game has seen of years past Brett Allen last week and that was his sentiment too. He empathises with the rule set they've been given and expected to perform at a high level, not yet full time either btw.
That’s the problem. They keep f***ing with the rules of the game when their number one priority should be to fix the standard of umpiring. They’re making it unwatchable. It’s frustrating because they’re so inconsistent and incompetent. When the whistle blows and a free kick is paid, I often find myself wondering what the free kick was for until the umpire gives some half-arsed explanation of their interpretation. There is better quality umpiring at local junior matches because they keep things simple. I am dreading the day a dumb umpiring decision costs a team dearly.

The media never seem to address the standard of umpiring as a whole. They’ll talk about controversial decisions and newly implemented rules but they’ll tread carefully. The system is designed to protect the umpires but they should not be exempt from scrutiny and criticism. They play a huge role in the game yet no one can say s**t about them. It must annoy the crap out of the coaches.

Essendon fans had the opportunity to express their frustration at the end of the game and they took it. I don’t blame them. I think everyone is fed up. The problem is, the AFL will ignore it and of course the media is already shifting the blame back on Essendon fans and labeling them “disrespectful”. I don’t buy into the medal representing “ANZAC spirit”. I feel it’s a bit cringeworthy and borderline insulting when they try to draw comparisons between football and war. It’s just a medal at the end of the day and Essendon fans were respectful at the start of the game, when people are actually meant to pay their respects.

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
ubXswcU.jpg

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The media never seem to address the standard of umpiring as a whole. They’ll talk about controversial decisions and newly implemented rules but they’ll tread carefully. The system is designed to protect the umpires but they should not be exempt from scrutiny and criticism. They play a huge role in the game yet no one can say s**t about them. It must annoy the crap out of the coaches.
exactly

we are too soft on how s**t they are because we dont want kids to not umpire

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
how about that essendon luncheon were everyone got the shits? at first they thought it was undercooked chicken, turns out it was just Dylan Shiel's disposal efficiency

1556244772048.png

Is there any other country where booing at a sporting event would be a scandal? It's not just yesterday either, there was Ablett and the media going on about West Coast a few years back as well. It pains me to say it but we're really becoming a nation of softcocks.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
chef Hrovat a late in for his first game of the season. How many games has he managed at Norf? And how many more has he got in him? Was it 100 games I thought he’d struggle to get?

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
chef Hrovat a late in for his first game of the season. How many games has he managed at Norf? And how many more has he got in him? Was it 100 games I thought he’d struggle to get?
Haha i just thought of you when they mentioned he was in on the news.

Hes up to 35 games, yeah it was 100 games and if he gets there hes your avatar for 5 years isnt it?

I think you are safe.

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Haha i just thought of you when they mentioned he was in on the news.

Hes up to 35 games, yeah it was 100 games and if he gets there hes your avatar for 5 years isnt it?

I think you are safe.
Don’t think he sees out 2020 unless he plays 15+ this year. He’s just a more skillfull Jason Tutt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back