The Association Football AFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Difference being a home final for the team with the bye and that is an advantage, unlike a regular season bye/end of season bye.

So I'm gonna guess the stat doesn't back up your theory or else you'd have quoted it. Thanks.

Congrats, you managed to find another advantage. Fun fact of the day: did you know you can have more than one advantage in life situations? You can!

Fun fact of the day: Brasemaen misses the point yet again!

Top 4 gets the advantage of a double chance, always has.

Giving everyone a bye before the first final is.. shock horror.. an equal advantage for all 8 teams!

The average footy fan for the most part is an idiot.

It takes away absolutely nothing from the teams that finished higher unless you are a desperate excuse maker.

Positives
- Makes it more likely that teams have their best players out there fit and healthy for the biggest games of the year. It all looks easy watching from the couch eating a bag of potato chips but if you've played footy yourself at any level you would know how sore players are by this time in the season and how many niggles they carry.
- Eliminates the chance of teams being tempted to strategically rest players in the last round which makes a farce of these games that still decide ladder positions for finals and draft picks.
- Nobody plays on Sunday week 1 so they have a short week into round 2.
- WA teams could finish 3rd or 4th and if they played away in round 22 it potentially means they could travel the length of the country 2 weeks in row despite finishing top 4. Vics that barely travel I can understand a bit the silliness but anyone over here west with how much our teams travel against the rule is an idiot.

Neutral
- Allows for Thursday night final, good when it isn't your team but s**t if you want to attend the game in person.

Negatives
- Only one I can think of is as an AFL fan it's a bit of a long wait looking forward to the biggest games of the year, but if you can't wait for a few extra days and watch the state league/ammos that weekend instead, or heaven forbid do something else non footy you are a bit of loser let's be honest.
Thursday night football is dross. Have you ever been to a TNF game in the rest of the world? Usually getting home somewhere around 11pm at the earliest and having to be back at work the next day. Not as good as it is made out to be.

Who cares about having the best players out there? You play with what you have. Again - are we going to have a year break just so Callan Ward can come back? No. Players play injured or they don't play. You don't have a break just so that they can get back.

As for teams resting at the end of the year, they'll still do that as Essendon did. Also if the AFL scheduled it right no one would have to play on Sunday anyway.

Fun fact of the day: Brasemaen misses the point yet again!

Top 4 gets the advantage of a double chance, always has.

Giving everyone a bye before the first final is.. shock horror.. an equal advantage for all 8 teams!
You completely missed the point again. Not surprising, always the case. Arguing for the sake of arguing - SM style. It must suck being anyone who knows you.

The average footy fan for the most part is an idiot.

It takes away absolutely nothing from the teams that finished higher unless you are a desperate excuse maker.

Positives
- Makes it more likely that teams have their best players out there fit and healthy for the biggest games of the year. It all looks easy watching from the couch eating a bag of potato chips but if you've played footy yourself at any level you would know how sore players are by this time in the season and how many niggles they carry.
- Eliminates the chance of teams being tempted to strategically rest players in the last round which makes a farce of these games that still decide ladder positions for finals and draft picks.
- Nobody plays on Sunday week 1 so they have a short week into round 2.
- WA teams could finish 3rd or 4th and if they played away in round 22 it potentially means they could travel the length of the country 2 weeks in row despite finishing top 4. Vics that barely travel I can understand a bit the silliness but anyone over here west with how much our teams travel against the rule is an idiot.

Neutral
- Allows for Thursday night final, good when it isn't your team but s**t if you want to attend the game in person.

Negatives
- Only one I can think of is as an AFL fan it's a bit of a long wait looking forward to the biggest games of the year, but if you can't wait for a few extra days and watch the state league/ammos that weekend instead, or heaven forbid do something else non footy you are a bit of loser let's be honest.
This isn’t about my club, I know we’re s**t after the bye, we’re s**t at numerous other aspects of footy.

The floating round 23 fixture alleviates some of the fixturing issues, other than that there’s no positives to this.

Top 4 sides should not have their advantages eroded. The Eagles in 2016 should have got the Dogs wounded as their benefit for finishing higher, not having them with a few blokes back.

Again, trying to make it about my club, but fans of all clubs hate this bye, the numerous threads on the topic are a testament to that, as is a weeks worth of talkback radio.

The bye was all your fault lol. Brought in because Ross was a campaigner and rested nearly his whole side
how dare a side rest their players in a complete dead rubber for both them and their opponents. I’d argue North resting 10 players in a game that had finals ramifications was a worse look and more likely why the bye was brought in.

how dare a side rest their players in a complete dead rubber for both them and their opponents. I’d argue North resting 10 players in a game that had finals ramifications was a worse look and more likely why the bye was brought in.
Didn't we rest 10?

This isn’t about my club, I know we’re s**t after the bye, we’re s**t at numerous other aspects of footy.

The floating round 23 fixture alleviates some of the fixturing issues, other than that there’s no positives to this.

Top 4 sides should not have their advantages eroded. The Eagles in 2016 should have got the Dogs wounded as their benefit for finishing higher, not having them with a few blokes back.

Again, trying to make it about my club, but fans of all clubs hate this bye, the numerous threads on the topic are a testament to that, as is a weeks worth of talkback radio.
So you got nothing. The top 4 advantages are not 'eroded'. Fans on talkback? A lot of impatient fat dopey muppets, BF not much better.

And lol at mentioning the Eagles because I guarantee you if you asked Adam Simpson whether they wanted to keep the bye as a WA club he would say 100% yes.

You completely missed the point again. Not surprising, always the case. Arguing for the sake of arguing - SM style. It must suck being anyone who knows you.

The irony in this post is ridiculous. No point missed here, weirdly others have argued the exact same points as me.

Oh my God! Talkback radio is your support? Jesus Christ man, get outside the footy bubble. Next you'll be saying "But.. but.. Gerard Whately agrees with me!" Probably the biggest saddo obsessive campaigner in the game.

It's the same as those crying about the International Break in football. Get out and get a life if not having football for one weekend means that much to you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How long into the seasons were you a game or more clear?
I know in 2011 we just rested 1 player every week. I’m not even saying you were wrong or bad for doing it, others would have done the same.

But just like the AFL after other one off incidents they knee jerk and bring a rule in. This one is s**t that many would like to see gone.

How long into the seasons were you a game or more clear?
I know in 2011 we just rested 1 player every week. I’m not even saying you were wrong or bad for doing it, others would have done the same.

But just like the AFL after other one off incidents they knee jerk and bring a rule in. This one is s**t that many would like to see gone.
2015 was the most recent time prior to the bye being introduced, we were 6 points clear with 1 round left.

my personal view is that I personally like the idea of the bye, feel like they could better structure the week however, but wouldn’t be fussed if they got rid of it

Umpiring was pathetic early but this is nothing more than Brisbane being piss poor in front of goal.

It is more than just that, but yes that hasn't helped them. Think they're stuffed mentally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back