The Association Football AFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2020 is your last roll of the dice I reckon. Not sure all of those 3 combined help fill the void of Kelly and get you to go at least 1 better next season
We’ll be fine. We never fall far.
A raft of picks or young players suits us better.

In two years time we’ll have the cap space and first round picks to load up again on free agents and trading stars. Time to get a couple of young players on the list

We’ll be fine. We never fall far.
A raft of picks or young players suits us better.

In two years time we’ll have the cap space and first round picks to load up again on free agents and trading stars. Time to get a couple of young players on the list
Yeah a 2020 and 2021 drop off for a sustained 2022-2026 push again is the Geelong way of operating. But will significant players like Selwood and Dangerfield be there for that? Would be two very big shoes to fill along with Kelly. Wells does get it right more often than not but that's 3 genuine stars that he'd have to find in the next 2 drafts to be A graders by 2022.

We’ve never really dropped off the last 10+ years because we’ve had the 3 pillars to build around, Selwood, Hawkins and Taylor. Getting Dangerfield really helped prolong our window but these guys won’t be part of our next premiership I don’t think unless we win it next year but I can’t see that happening. If the club is still in the ‘all in now’ mindset, I’d absolutely be targeting Gaff for Kelly, because WC’s pick 14, 26 and maybe their first round next year which will likely again be around pick 14, isn’t good enough to gain a player like Kelly, they’re going to have to get creative.

If WC were willing to trade Gaff for Kelly, they would have done so at the end of 2018. Gaff didn't want to go then, there is no indicator that has changed.

During the 90s when Carlton cheated the salary cap many men were partly responsible. For disguising payments not disclosed to the AFL to Greg Williams the sports minister Justin Madden, board members Ian Collins and James Sutherland were all found to be complicit.

When Australia chose to cheat in South Africa by tampering the ball with sandpaper the CEO that it happened under his watch was James Sutherland.

Well, the morons at the cats have decided to elect James Sutherland to the board. Truly worried he’s been brought in to be Brian Cook’s successor

During the 90s when Carlton cheated the salary cap many men were partly responsible. For disguising payments not disclosed to the AFL to Greg Williams the sports minister Justin Madden, board members Ian Collins and James Sutherland were all found to be complicit.

When Australia chose to cheat in South Africa by tampering the ball with sandpaper the CEO that it happened under his watch was James Sutherland.

Well, the morons at the cats have decided to elect James Sutherland to the board. Truly worried he’s been brought in to be Brian Cook’s successor
Yeah, that guy is a poisoned chalice. Good luck.

I know Betts doesn’t really fit the age bracket the club is looking for but it just feels right to break it for Eddie Betts. The man is a Carlton and AFL legend. Can not wait for Round 1.

Will he even play much? Seems weird not to give Thomas another year despite having his best season in years yet you're bringing in Eddie who's cooked

Eddie is hardly an AFL legend. Good player, yes. One of the best small forwards of his generation, yes. Legend, no chance. The only thing he is a legend of is making commentators cream themselves whenever he goes near the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will he even play much? Seems weird not to give Thomas another year despite having his best season in years yet you're bringing in Eddie who's cooked

Yeah, he only would have been Carlton’s leading goal kicking if he was at the club in 2019. A 37 goal small forward is nothing to scoff at. It will probably be a one year deal and then maybe a coaching role with the club after 2020. He might prove to be more invaluable to Carlton beyond his playing days.

Eddie is hardly an AFL legend. Good player, yes. One of the best small forwards of his generation, yes. Legend, no chance. The only thing he is a legend of is making commentators cream themselves whenever he goes near the ball.

600 goals, 3 time All Australian, 6 leading goal kickers between two clubs. Yeah, only known because fans cream themselves whenever he wins goal of the year.

But hey, his 37 goals this year was a cooked year. He would have been Carlton’s leading goal kicker.

12 of which were against the Suns. He's been great but anyone who watched him this year would know that his best is behind him.

I keep hearing that. I guess it makes a difference but for me, the guy will be a valuable member of the team. Not only on the field but off it as well with our young players. I am just really happy the guy is back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back