The Association Football AFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I hate blowouts in the AFLW

I know you're being facetious but it's nice having footy back. The Blues are a classy side, Tigers are a new side in the comp so they'll get better.

If players like Taylor Harris are the precursor to a generation of top quality women players then the comp will become pretty decent. Needs to be a longer season though, all these netballers/others playing for a few weeks is a bit amateurish.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
I know they don't want too many different rules to men's footy but i really think it would help playing 16v16 on a smaller field. But at the same time these are the early years the quality is only going to get better. You can see that with the quality of the 1st and 2nd year draftees like Prespakis, once her draft year are 6 years into it and there's another 5 draft crops to come through it'll be unrecognisable.

I think the best solution is playing a 16-18 round league starting early Feb and finishing at the end of May with the overlap being covered by having the mens have a regular Thursday slot and the women's dominating Sundays.

A longer season means a more legitimate case for a healthy TV rights deal which means higher pay which means more legitimate professionals (no need for another job they can just focus on skills and fitness).

A longer season also means it's not just a novelty at the start of the year and they'll have AFL as their primary sport not Netball or whatever.

Makes the most sense. Also legitamizes the draw. From what I watched tonight I saw enough to bring me back, but I also appreciate the low scoring and low skills from some players is a turn off for a lot of people.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Unless the players are only going to sing, “We’re the Eagles, the West Coast Eagles...” part of the song because that is literally the only part they can sing (so a bit like the old song :p) and hire a band every week for the rest of it, what the hell was the club thinking?
It's not even a rousing rendition. It's like soft pop. It's garbage.

Coming from a Freo fan lol.

I like ours but I am under no illusions as to how s**t it is. You Victorian team supporters can't quite grasp the fact that most of you have songs just as s**t but because they have been sung for decades, you think that they must be good. IMO, the only actually good songs are Richmond and Hawthorn with a special mention to Norf.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
I think the best solution is playing a 16-18 round league starting early Feb and finishing at the end of May with the overlap being covered by having the mens have a regular Thursday slot and the women's dominating Sundays.

A longer season means a more legitimate case for a healthy TV rights deal which means higher pay which means more legitimate professionals (no need for another job they can just focus on skills and fitness).

A longer season also means it's not just a novelty at the start of the year and they'll have AFL as their primary sport not Netball or whatever.

Makes the most sense. Also legitamizes the draw. From what I watched tonight I saw enough to bring me back, but I also appreciate the low scoring and low skills from some players is a turn off for a lot of people.
Men's curtain raisers through to may too

Yep definitely. Line up the home teams and it'd allow supporters to make a day of it.

Now that they're up to 14 teams, an 8 week comp is just way too short.

It also makes a mockery of the Daisy Pierce video they did of her training for pre-season where I reckon her pre-season was longer than the season lasts.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees

I like this idea, however trying to recall the time when the reserves clash would be a curtain raiser to the senior game. Isn’t one of the reasons the AFL ended it was because of the condition of the field after having two matches back to back? Or something like that.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
I like this idea, however trying to recall the time when the reserves clash would be a curtain raiser to the senior game. Isn’t one of the reasons the AFL ended it was because of the condition of the field after having two matches back to back? Or something like that.

You’d think most grounds these days should be able to hold back to back footy games.

Swans reserves still regularly play before Swans at scg.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United

Curtain raisers haven’t gone right away, there were 9 VFL/AFL curtain raisers last year. I would love to see the ladies competition increase the amount of games per year and go with AFLW/AFL curtain raisers for maximum exposure to the ladies competition. That is what the league should be aiming for.

66A018AB-1D10-42E0-A4E5-1C0EDCC196F2.png

LOL.
Go home CD, you’re stoned

Shoei

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Has anyone actually made the arguement "equal score equal pay"?

And the payment part is a little bizarre too. Yeah the organisation (AFL) makes millions of dollars but what does he mean by "the money could be more evenly distributed"? There's not a way to fix a "pay gap" without creating an artificially enforced pay structure.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
If anyone wants to make the argument "equal score equal pay" might want to consider that last year Fremantle and Sydney played out a 7-10-52 to 7-9-51 match and the very next week GWS and Port Adelaide played out a 8-8-56 to 7-13-55 match (ironically higher than the score of one of the Preliminary finals). Those two matches were outscored by an AFLW match last year and it was almost beaten in some other AFLW matches and would have if the AFLW aren't 20 minutes less. Some of the lowest scoring matches can be exciting, as a fan how can anyone not cheer on a last second goal to win a match 5-5-35 to 5-4-34 just because the score was low? You still get the 4 points.

It was a good article but I must say that what he wrote on his second point "I could've kicked that" was ridiculous. I get that he had a good point but the execution was poor. The guy just attacked local club football where everyone who we see in the AFL came from before they were drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back