Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Melbourne Storm
Didn't you give Fwoy's sexist comment on Friday night a laugh react?

next time the ball is in one half of the ground for 90% of the time and it’s 8 scoring shots to 1, I’ll make sure it’s the men’s team before I make a comment on my team...I mean, it’s not like anyone here ever says a bad thing about their own team...

next time the ball is in one half of the ground for 90% of the time and it’s 8 scoring shots to 1, I’ll make sure it’s the men’s team before I make a comment on my team...I mean, it’s not like anyone here ever says a bad thing about their own team...

In the context of Gero's article that he so nobly posted, it becomes a comment about the level of skill in the women's game. You calling it out as 'a shootout in the AFLW' makes it a women's game comment. If you'd just said "Boy don't you just love those high scoring shootouts.." it would have been fine because you're quite right, you get dour low scoring games in the men's too.

You knew what you were doing, as did Gero when laugh reacting it. Just found it weird four days later to post an article admonishing people who make similar comments.

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
In the context of Gero's article that he so nobly posted, it becomes a comment about the level of skill in the women's game. You calling it out as 'a shootout in the AFLW' makes it a women's game comment. If you'd just said "Boy don't you just love those high scoring shootouts.." it would have been fine because you're quite right, you get dour low scoring games in the men's too.

You knew what you were doing, as did Gero when laugh reacting it. Just found it weird four days later to post an article admonishing people who make similar comments.

I didn’t call it a shootout, I called it a blowout, as in, one way traffic. In the context of the game, it looked unlikely the Tiges could come back, considering the historical situation in AFLW, and considering the game to that point. Was I wrong in the end?

Was it a little tongue in cheek? Sure. Will I still support the team moving forward? Yes. Did I let out a cheer in the room when Sabrina Frederick became the first female Richmond player to score in the AFLW? You bet I did!

But keep labelling people...it’s what you like to do best.

I didn’t call it a shootout, I called it a blowout, as in, one way traffic. In the context of the game, it looked unlikely the Tiges could come back, considering the historical situation in AFLW, and considering the game to that point. Was I wrong in the end?

Was it a little tongue in cheek? Sure. Will I still support the team moving forward? Yes. Did I let out a cheer in the room when Sabrina Frederick became the first female Richmond player to score in the AFLW? You bet I did!

But keep labelling people...it’s what you like to do best.

Sorry shootout/blowout, whatever. The point was you were being facetious about the fact that the score (which at the time I think was one goal or two goals difference) was a 'blowout'. Gero found that funny and chortled along with it, but then had the gall to post an article talking down to those people. I'm bemused at your defensive attitude towards me when you should be ribbing Gero for the splinters in his ass.

Mar 4, 2002
In a state of flux
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Sorry shootout/blowout, whatever. The point was you were being facetious about the fact that the score (which at the time I think was one goal or two goals difference) was a 'blowout'. Gero found that funny and chortled along with it, but then had the gall to post an article talking down to those people. I'm bemused at your defensive attitude towards me when you should be ribbing Gero for the splinters in his ass.

in the context of this league, a 2 goal lead is difficult to chase down. And this is a fact, compounded by the inability to get clean possession forward of centre in half a game. In fact the only scoring shot for Richmond came very late in the 2nd qtr. I was in a bar with 10 guys watching the game, and while the general undercurrent was they weren’t interested, I was watching with intent. It was when they opened the lead to 2 goals I felt deflated, and posted a tongue in cheek post on here. We went on to lose by the biggest margin in our side of the table. What I said was obviously shown to be true. To label it or me as sexist is cheap. This is the first year I have a team to support. And I intend to do so. But I don’t need to virtue signal all the time to do this.

as for the article linked, I haven’t even read it.

in the context of this league, a 2 goal lead is difficult to chase down. And this is a fact, compounded by the inability to get clean possession forward of centre in half a game. In fact the only scoring shot for Richmond came very late in the 2nd qtr. I was in a bar with 10 guys watching the game, and while the general undercurrent was they weren’t interested, I was watching with intent. It was when they opened the lead to 2 goals I felt deflated, and posted a tongue in cheek post on here. We went on to lose by the biggest margin in our side of the table. What I said was obviously shown to be true. To label it or me as sexist is cheap. This is the first year I have a team to support. And I intend to do so. But I don’t need to virtue signal all the time to do this.

as for the article linked, I haven’t even read it.

Did you even read my first response? I said there's no issues with saying it was a blowout, it was the way in which you said it that was clearly meant as a put down of the league - and hell Gero saw it too which is why he laugh reacted. But whatever, you do you, I'm past trying to understand your world view, my comment was literally directed at Gero.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
Can cop the middle of the road list evaluation.

We probably are in that ballpark, but only two teams with a worse defence. fu** off.

champion data actually explain it all pretty well in the prospectus. it's based on the sum of the individual players player ratings. they categorize blicavs, taylor, tuohy, stewart, henry, kolo, bews and o'connor as the defenders. they have taylor as above average, and the others average or below average because they aren't great attackers off the backline or intercept players, and dont get as much rating points, and that geelong midfielders and wingers score higher cos they work hard and do the attacking in the back line instead.

it literally says in the prospectus 'the main takeaway from this shouldn't be that geelong have a poor defence, but rather that geelong does most of its defending with ball in hand up the ground. they ranked 13th for intercepts in the defensive 50 for 2019 and 16th for scores from these intercepts.'

it's all just pure stats applied meticulously to each individual player.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
Stopped reading the article when he said Buddy was the best player he’s ever seen :D haha.

No but seriously, good on the girls who are giving footy a crack, and there would be plenty out there who now dream of playing in the AFLW, that itself is awesome as it use to only be boys growing up with that dream. The thing that doesn’t sit well with me is the ‘equal pay’ debate, yes they have to work a seperate job and also play footy, but it wasn’t that long ago men had to do the same in the VFL, either working in a trade or another job, training Tuesday and Thursday nights before a game on Saturday. All good things happen in time, let the woman’s game grow, they will get better, it’ll take time, and one day it’ll be a great spectacle to watch. Men’s footy is over 160 years old, woman’s footy is still well and truly in its infancy years, it’ll get there but everyone these days has no patience and want it all ‘now, now, now’!!

Stopped reading the article when he said Buddy was the best player he’s ever seen :D haha.

No but seriously, good on the girls who are giving footy a crack, and there would be plenty out there who now dream of playing in the AFLW, that itself is awesome as it use to only be boys growing up with that dream. The thing that doesn’t sit well with me is the ‘equal pay’ debate, yes they have to work a seperate job and also play footy, but it wasn’t that long ago men had to do the same in the VFL, either working in a trade or another job, training Tuesday and Thursday nights before a game on Saturday. All good things happen in time, let the woman’s game grow, they will get better, it’ll take time, and one day it’ll be a great spectacle to watch. Men’s footy is over 160 years old, woman’s footy is still well and truly in its infancy years, it’ll get there but everyone these days has no patience and want it all ‘now, now, now’!!

Yeah it's why I was saying to Jd the other day they need to make it a legitimate season, try and get its own slice of the broadcasting rights (I mean, it gets more viewers than the A-League?) and then use that income to give them a huge pay raise. That in turn would lead to higher skills etc.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC

Agree very much with this.

It's year 3 isn't it. The mens game took nearly 100 years to become professional

champion data actually explain it all pretty well in the prospectus. it's based on the sum of the individual players player ratings. they categorize blicavs, taylor, tuohy, stewart, henry, kolo, bews and o'connor as the defenders. they have taylor as above average, and the others average or below average because they aren't great attackers off the backline or intercept players, and dont get as much rating points, and that geelong midfielders and wingers score higher cos they work hard and do the attacking in the back line instead.

it literally says in the prospectus 'the main takeaway from this shouldn't be that geelong have a poor defence, but rather that geelong does most of its defending with ball in hand up the ground. they ranked 13th for intercepts in the defensive 50 for 2019 and 16th for scores from these intercepts.'

it's all just pure stats applied meticulously to each individual player.
So in essence a grain of salt is needed as their statistical analysis doesn’t appear to allow for intangible differences. When their rating system deems the side that conceded the least points in 2019 and 2018 is probably a flawed system. Meanwhile North with Cunnington and Higgins and a bunch of witches hats has a better midfield than the premiers, runners up,

In this case, we play 9/22 games on a cigar shaped oval, that inhibits one of the things they look at most favourably.

Their player ratings don’t enthuse me too much. 2019 saw Menegola rated elite... Now a last legs Taylor is statistically our best defender, our dual AA halfback is average or below average. Ditto our fullback. Ok then CD.

I’m sure this would be something fans from 18 clubs would query about their players too.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
So in essence a grain of salt is needed as their statistical analysis doesn’t appear to allow for intangible differences. When their rating system deems the side that conceded the least points in 2019 and 2018 is probably a flawed system. Meanwhile North with Cunnington and Higgins and a bunch of witches hats has a better midfield than the premiers, runners up,

In this case, we play 9/22 games on a cigar shaped oval, that inhibits one of the things they look at most favourably.

Their player ratings don’t enthuse me too much. 2019 saw Menegola rated elite... Now a last legs Taylor is statistically our best defender, our dual AA halfback is average or below average. Ditto our fullback. Ok then CD.

I’m sure this would be something fans from 18 clubs would query about their players too.
well all statistics are forever limited by their own rules.

I like this idea, however trying to recall the time when the reserves clash would be a curtain raiser to the senior game. Isn’t one of the reasons the AFL ended it was because of the condition of the field after having two matches back to back? Or something like that.
We do it 3-4 times a year at home, benefits of our own ground I guess.
No one to tell us it's too damaging to the surface.

That said, Easter Monday is a VFL and AFL double header.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Collingwood were too strong in the end. :(

Next up the Bulldogs on Whitten Oval. Having a chance to football again at suburban grounds is awesome.

Collingwood’s Livingstone saying "if you stop her in the air, shes basically useless" about Tayla Harris after the game was incredibly poor form. :(

Last edited:
Collingwood were too strong in the end. :(

Next up the Bulldogs on Whitten Oval. Having a chance to football again at suburban grounds is awesome.

Collingwood’s Livingstone saying "if you stop her in the air, shes basically useless" about Tayla Harris after the game was incredibly poor form. :(
Just trying to spark a bit of interest in the league I'd say. I wouldn't be surprised if they have the same manager or someshit and they've been told to do it to spice it up.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
Just trying to spark a bit of interest in the league I'd say. I wouldn't be surprised if they have the same manager or someshit and they've been told to do it to spice it up.

The AFLW games are some of the highest rated programming whenever there is a game on from what I read just a week ago. Richmond/Carlton in Round 1 had a 15,000+ crowd at the 25,000 capacity Ikon Park and Freo/West Cost just this passed weekend saw an attendance of 35,000 at Optus Oval and the first game at the stadium a couple of years ago saw 41,000 attend. The GF’s have seen attendance reach 15,000 of the 25,000 Metricon Stadium and 53,000 of the 55,000 Adelaide Oval (7,500 at Ikon Park was the second GF, which is disappointing, but a non-Carlton game). Most other games are usually a quarter or half full.

I think the competition is building and gaining more and more interest and it’s only Year 3. So no, I don’t think players are being told to be nasty to each other to “spice it up”. In fact that would be quite disappointing.

Edit: This pretty cool, during 2016 the AFLW played a string of exhibition games. One of them was Melbourne/Western Bulldogs

• Only the 3 September clash between Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs, which was played in the week's break before the 2016 AFL finals series, was contested for the Hampson-Hardeman Cup. The match was televised on Channel 7, attracting a peak of 1.05 million viewers nationally, with 387,000 viewers in Melbourne it was the highest rating match broadcast in Melbourne during the 2016 home and away season.[50]

Now that is awesome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back