The Association Football AFL Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
His role was always going to end badly. A president who is on tv and radio as often as he was is bound to stuff things up. I do believe like he says everything he does is coming from the right place and either for the benefit of the game and his club. It's just that when you say 1,000,000 things a year in a public forum like he does he is bound to get it wrong from time to time. I'm sure most other presidents would struggle not saying the wrong thing wearing all the caps he did over the 23 years.

His biggest problem yesterday was feeling the need to make it about him and the club and all the good they've done over the journey, which is true. But it's the lack of self-awareness around this particular issue and its timing which is very poor. Just leave quietly and people will remember the good you do after the fact, no need to pump up your own tyres on the way out.

His role was always going to end badly. A president who is on tv and radio as often as he was is bound to stuff things up. I do believe like he says everything he does is coming from the right place and either for the benefit of the game and his club. It's just that when you say 1,000,000 things a year in a public forum like he does he is bound to get it wrong from time to time. I'm sure most other presidents would struggle not saying the wrong thing wearing all the caps he did over the 23 years.

His biggest problem yesterday was feeling the need to make it about him and the club and all the good they've done over the journey, which is true. But it's the lack of self-awareness around this particular issue and its timing which is very poor. Just leave quietly and people will remember the good you do after the fact, no need to pump up your own tyres on the way out.
Reckon most people can speak endlessly and not say racist things.

Reckon most people can speak endlessly and not say racist things.
Yeah they probably can. But might say something wrong down the sexism, homophobic, abelism etc. path instead. I struggle to believe that all of the other presidents if they were broadcast as heavily as he was, they wouldn't slip up along the way. And I struggle to believe that most people in society wouldn't slip up down one or more paths with what they say at times.

Eddie and Collingwood's biggest problem is how they deal with the stuff ups. And the fact that he has worn so many hats concurrently over the 23 year presidential journey. He's far from rough around the edges but has proven he can stuff up yet up until this year his media card has never really dropped off apart from when he was briefly CEO of Nine.

Yeah they probably can. But might say something wrong down the sexism, homophobic, abelism etc. path instead. I struggle to believe that all of the other presidents if they were broadcast as heavily as he was, they wouldn't slip up along the way. And I struggle to believe that most people in society wouldn't slip up down one or more paths with what they say at times.

Eddie and Collingwood's biggest problem is how they deal with the stuff ups. And the fact that he has worn so many hats concurrently over the 23 year presidential journey. He's far from rough around the edges but has proven he can stuff up yet up until this year his media card has never really dropped off apart from when he was briefly CEO of Nine.

If people make a faux pas most people would recognise and apologise and not make a similar faux pas again. Eddie makes the same gaffes over and over.

An example, I once used the term p**i because growing up it was a pretty general term used for people from that area, but used it while over in England where it is more akin to the N word. I realised my error and apologised and haven't used it again.

If people make a faux pas most people would recognise and apologise and not make a similar faux pas again. Eddie makes the same gaffes over and over.

An example, I once used the term p**i because growing up it was a pretty general term used for people from that area, but used it while over in England where it is more akin to the N word. I realised my error and apologised and haven't used it again.
His problem isn't a singular term or mistake it's the way he has tried to deal with an initial stuff up which has lead to him never really getting it. The PR lens gets involved in the "clean up" rather than actually trying to learn & not make the same mistakes again. I agree 100% with that. Too much time looking to protect the image, he should have gone after the Goodes incident but the PR spin came and it lingered for a while. Should have just fronted up then and walked.

My point is more that with the amount of platforms he was on it's just exposing himself in this area, but even then he stuffs up every say 3-5 years. I think if all other 17 club presidents were on air as much as he was they're likely to stuff up in some way every 3-5 years. I know from the very little you hear from our president if he was heard more than 5 times a year you'd be getting hot under the collar as a board member waiting for the gaffe to come.

His problem isn't a singular term or mistake it's the way he has tried to deal with an initial stuff up which has lead to him never really getting it. The PR lens gets involved in the "clean up" rather than actually trying to learn & not make the same mistakes again. I agree 100% with that. Too much time looking to protect the image, he should have gone after the Goodes incident but the PR spin came and it lingered for a while. Should have just fronted up then and walked.

My point is more that with the amount of platforms he was on it's just exposing himself in this area, but even then he stuffs up every say 3-5 years. I think if all other 17 club presidents were on air as much as he was they're likely to stuff up in some way every 3-5 years. I know from the very little you hear from our president if he was heard more than 5 times a year you'd be getting hot under the collar as a board member waiting for the gaffe to come.

He stuffs up regularly. He said he was proud of the findings on the club's racism ffs. This isn't a once every 3-5 years thing. Not quite sure why you're trying to spin it as "Well everyone would say horribly racist and/or demeaning things if they had to speak publicly as much as poor Ed".

There’s something iconic about continually seeing the same middle aged, privileged white man trying to control the narrative of what is racist and what isn’t. Quintessential Eddie.

Is Collingwood a better club 23 years later after McGuire leaves. Most definitely. Done a lot right for the Pies in among these clear shortcomings.
Do I get the sense his planned exit at season's end was down to seeing the writing on the wall with this review. Very plausible. As much as I am not a big fan of Lumumba he's brought to light stuff that made McGuire's place untenable.

He stuffs up regularly. He said he was proud of the findings on the club's racism ffs. This isn't a once every 3-5 years thing. Not quite sure why you're trying to spin it as "Well everyone would say horribly racist and/or demeaning things if they had to speak publicly as much as poor Ed".
I'm sure someone can list them all out but over 23 years my guess is it's every 3-5 years. Has there been more than 8? Even if it's 8 stuff ups that's still too many and the magnitude of the Goodes one is one too many even without priors. The Caro stuff also shouldn't be forgotten.

But again no doubt Loguidice on t.v. and radio 5 days a week would hit the same number of stuff ups within a month

I'm sure someone can list them all out but over 23 years my guess is it's every 3-5 years. Has there been more than 8? Even if it's 8 stuff ups that's still too many and the magnitude of the Goodes one is one too many even without priors. The Caro stuff also shouldn't be forgotten.

But again no doubt Loguidice on t.v. and radio 5 days a week would hit the same number of stuff ups within a month

Then he should probably be sacked too.

This is a really weird stance even for you mate.

Mark LoGiudice isn’t a very good public speaker. So I am sure if he spoke to the media enough times, he would “stuff up” but he has never said anything remotely shitty or racist like Eddie. I can’t believe his reputation or the other presidents are being called into question here in this way.

After Eddie made that racist comment about Adam Goodes, his excuse for himself was that he “zoned out”. For a millionaire with about a hundred personal assistants to do everything for him except wipe his arse for him, it’s crazy how much he “zones out” when he most definitely lives care free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mark LoGiudice isn’t a very good public speaker. So I am sure if he spoke to the media enough times, he would “stuff up” but he has never said anything remotely shitty or racist like Eddie. I can’t believe his reputation or the other presidents are being called into question here in this way.

After Eddie made that racist comment about Adam Goodes, his excuse for himself was that he “zoned out”. For a millionaire with about a hundred personal assistants to do everything for him except wipe his arse for him, it’s crazy how much he “zones out” when he most definitely lives care free.
I dont think he'd say anything racist either. But I do know having enough from him that I wouldn't put my life on him not deeply offending somebody along the way.

I have said all along that I think Eddie should have gone straight away after the Goodes comment, it's his handling of these that means he never actually learns from his mistakes in the first place. Like SM pointed out we've all learnt along the way about terms we've all used that can offend, and then own the mistake and don't say it again, for some stupid reason Eddie went on the defensive when made the comment. My point is the volume of the mistakes is mainly because of this PR spin post mistake & but also partially because of the sheer volume we hear from him.

tenor.gif

As bare as Geelong Womens goal kicking chart.
Zing! You got me. A barb about Women’s footy, a team 2 years old.

Maybe next time Brunswick ressies can get a mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back