The Association Football Cricket thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's hard to compare the two. Tendulkar is the greatest post war batsman might be more accurate!
I think the Dons career record speaks for itself. Hes the greatest ever Cricketer, let alone batter imo.

Tendulkar was a fine player, but theres a few overs comparable even for the last 20 years.

I think the Dons career record speaks for itself. Hes the greatest ever Cricketer, let alone batter imo.

Tendulkar was a fine player, but theres a few overs comparable even for the last 20 years.

Who compares to Tendulkar in the modern era? Levels above Lara for me.

Who compares to Tendulkar in the modern era? Levels above Lara for me.
Lara, Ponting, Kallis, Smith, Sangakkara off the top of my head.

It's hard to compare the two. Tendulkar is the greatest post war batsman might be more accurate!
The Don averaged 105 post war.

View attachment 1700391

No surprises the biggest floggery of half n half scarf comes from the SA and WA boys.

Just like on this site, next level flogs in those states.
Whew, I thought Marsh was an actual Man Utd supporter for a sec there. Good save Mitch.

Make sense for Todd though, all he knows is losing test series and shield finals.

Massive decision by India leaving Ashwin out. A lot of green on this wicket, India choosing to bowl. Rahane back in the middle order is another big call.

Still a very strong XI named however no Bumrah and Pant, amongst the world’s best in their respective positions, coupled with this again being played in England I think heavily leans into Australia’s favour.

On a side note, I completely forgot the final starts tonight. Seems to have crept up with very little fanfare etc with most of the build up focussing on The Ashes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At 3/76 it really could've gone either way.

Head's aggression is very welcome in the middle order.

Yes I think India would’ve wanted 3 to 4 wickets in that first session with all of the cloud cover etc. Siraj was causing all kinds of problem. Bumrah would’ve been a handful on this wicket. The pitch became much better to bat on when the sun came out and Smith and Head absolutely cashed in especially the final session. Head’s approach is going to be fascinating to watch during the ashes as it’s essentially bazball (geez that word gets thrashed around a lot lately).

Head’s innings already shaping up to be match winning. Dominant day after being sent in to bat.
Smith’s the better and more important innings. Steadfast and resolute in defence at 76/3. Didn’t give them a sniff at a cluster of wickets. Will still likely score as much as Head.

If he goes past 109 his Oval average will be over 100.

Smith’s the better and more important innings. Steadfast and resolute in defence at 76/3. Didn’t give them a sniff at a cluster of wickets. Will still likely score as much as Head.

If he goes past 109 his Oval average will be over 100.
That's an odd argument. Not sure it can be a more important innings when it currently has less runs. He came in 5 runs earlier on the score card as well.

If it wasn't for Head's attacking, we'd still be 3 for 175 instead.

Both valuable in their own way but I'm absolutely taking more runs over less.

They only bowled 23 overs is the first session before Head came on.
If only they had selected another spinner to speed it up. Makes the non selection of Ashwin even crazier
Not sure Thakur was the right choice

That's an odd argument. Not sure it can be a more important innings when it currently has less runs. He came in 5 runs earlier on the score card as well.

Yes I can’t definitively say whose was better or more important, I don’t think that matters. If anything they both complemented each other perfectly. Smith anchored the innings, and Head was on like donkey kong at the other end.

The blokes who do the grafting to allow the swashbuckling at the other end often get overlooked.

I rate those players very highly.

The blokes who do the grafting to allow the swashbuckling at the other end often get overlooked.

I rate those players very highly.
Sure, but they came in at essentially the same time and Head obviously finished with a higher score.

Your suggestion goes either way though. As stated previously, if Head came out and "grafted" like Smith did, we wouldn't have been close to the position we're in now.

Anyway, it's all semantics now. We're in a fantastically strong position now.

Sure, but they came in at essentially the same time and Head obviously finished with a higher score.

Your suggestion goes either way though. As stated previously, if Head came out and "grafted" like Smith did, we wouldn't have been close to the position we're in now.

Anyway, it's all semantics now. We're in a fantastically strong position now.
We’re in a can’t lose position atm.
Draw or Aus win

Difficult to see how India even salvage a draw from here. Theres a reserve day incase of any rain and they’re so far behind in the match that playing out the allocated overs would still likely see a comfortable Aus victory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back