The Association Football Cricket thread

It not just “the cucumber sandwich crowd” who have called you out on it, everyone has. I just found it odd that cricket Australia were talking about a whole change of culture and then you hear that the same old s**t is still happening. I accept that in England it’s still seen as a “Gentleman's game” while Aussies are a lot more boisterous with their cricket. But when every cricket playing nation says you act like campaigners maybe you should take that more on board
Oh dear

Lol

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
I can’t see how India or Australia have acted like a pack of campaigners so far.

The personal, abusive and bullying rubbish has (finally) gone. It’s been good to watch IMO.

Just think Paine shouldn’t have a whinge to the media and then get involved in the action himself.

An early wicket here and the rest will tumble quickly. How India could do with Ashwin or Jadeja next, really think they made a mistake playing Yadav.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No chance India can make 175 with 5 wickets on a 5 day old pitch. If they had been two maybe three down with Kohli still there they’d have had a fighting chance

From the sounds of it the Australians have been somewhat peeved about the double standards being applied, which I think is fair enough. I don’t think that if the catch was the other way round, and Handscomb did this in the warmup the next day, that it’d be described as a “bit of fun” or “cheeky”

Likewise here as well, walking into the batsman’s line when between wickets like Kohli did here, is another one I daresay if the shoe was on the other foot, wouldn’t be talked about as “great theatre”

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From the sounds of it the Australians have been somewhat peeved about the double standards being applied, which I think is fair enough. I don’t think that if the catch was the other way round, and Handscomb did this in the warmup the next day, that it’d be described as a “bit of fun” or “cheeky”

Likewise here as well, walking into the batsman’s line when between wickets like Kohli did here, is another one I daresay if the shoe was on the other foot, wouldn’t be talked about as “great theatre”
Unfortunately when the spotlight is on you like it is with Australia, then you have to be whiter than white. And that means rising above provocation. End of the day you got yourselves into this controversy in the first place

Unfortunately when the spotlight is on you like it is with Australia, then you have to be whiter than white. And that means rising above provocation. End of the day you got yourselves into this controversy in the first place
It’s not as if Paine exactly did much wrong. The question has been over sledging just essentially being abuse sessions. Paine gave one simple one-liner. If you genuinely think Paine’s one liner after some of the crap Kohli has gone on with for the series (including “I’m the best player in the world and you’re just a stand in captain,”)is anywhere near what the likes of Warner used to dish up, then I think the only thing that might satisfy you is silence.

Last edited:

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s not as if Paine exactly did much wrong. The question has been over sledging just essentially being abuse sessions. Paine gave one simple one-liner. If you genuinely think Paine’s one liner after some of the crap Kohli has gone on with for the series, including “I’m the best player in the world and you’re just a stand in captain,” is anywhere near what the likes of Warner used to dish up, then I think the only thing that might satisfy you is silence.
Problem with Australia and their cricket fans is it’s always someone else’s fault. I think the cricket world will sweep this one under the carpet because it wasn’t solely down to the Aussies this time but to be honest you haven’t done yourself any favours. The jury is still kind of out I’m afraid

Problem with Australia and their cricket fans is it’s always someone else’s fault. I think the cricket world will sweep this one under the carpet because it wasn’t solely down to the Aussies this time but to be honest you haven’t done yourself any favours. The jury is still kind of out I’m afraid
I think it’ll be swept under the carpet because it was a harmless and relatively amusing one-liner above all else.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
It’s not as if Paine exactly did much wrong. The question has been over sledging just essentially being abuse sessions. Paine gave one simple one-liner. If you genuinely think Paine’s one liner after some of the crap Kohli has gone on with for the series, including “I’m the best player in the world and you’re just a stand in captain,” is anywhere near what the likes of Warner used to dish up, then I think the only thing that might satisfy you is silence.

Just trying to understand this buddy, are you saying what Kohli said is worse than what Warner and co used to spout?

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah we should be meek and just cop it like the English did for about 25 years prior to Vaughn and Flintoff giving them some balls
What do you mean by that? England have always played the game in the right spirit and never resorted to sledging and nor should have we. If someone is being chippy then just bowl or bat harder. The sledging belongs in the bar afterwards not out on the pitch

Just trying to understand this buddy, are you saying what Kohli said is worse than what Warner and co used to spout?
Absolutely not, meant to say/bring across that what Paine said is nowhere near what Warner and co used to spout and that essentially Paine did very little wrong.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
What do you mean by that? England have always played the game in the right spirit and never resorted to sledging and nor should have we. If someone is being chippy then just bowl or bat harder. The sledging belongs in the bar afterwards not out on the pitch
Exactly my point. If the opposition is getting into you we should just stand their and cop it and not respond. That went very well in the 90s for the English gentlemen

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think it’ll be swept under the carpet because it was a harmless and relatively amusing one-liner above all else.
But you’re not the one to decide if it was amusing or not - that belongs to the one who was on the receiving end. End of the day if the Umpire felt it necessary to intervene then it probably wasn’t “harmless”. There was obvious needle there

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Exactly my point. If the opposition is getting into you we should just stand their and cop it and not respond. That went very well in the 90s for the English gentlemen
Lol and it had nothing to do with England being complete shyte back then? Did the West Indies sledge back in the day? No they just put an extra 20mph on their deliveries or smacked you for 12 an over. Sledging is an Aussie disease, no one else’s

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
everyone sledges. everyone has a quip. we just took it way too far with it.

paine and kohli will shake hands after. everything was done with a smile on the face. it's far away from the ugly scenes of ponting and that.
Perhaps, if so then fair enough. Hope this isn’t a slippery slope though because fine lines and all that. It didn’t look good natured in fairness and the Umpire had to have words.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
Perhaps, if so then fair enough. Hope this isn’t a slippery slope though because fine lines and all that. It didn’t look good natured in fairness and the Umpire had to have words.
i think everyone does. the scenes with warner and de kock in particular were embarrassing, and of course the cheating that soon followed.

But you’re not the one to decide if it was amusing or not - that belongs to the one who was on the receiving end. End of the day if the Umpire felt it necessary to intervene then it probably wasn’t “harmless”. There was obvious needle there
My bad with regards to before, I was referring to the line Paine said to Murali Vijay regarding Kohli. The scene earlier in the day between the two definitely wasn’t a good look.

Back