The Association Football Cricket thread

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
i think everyone does. the scenes with warner and de kock in particular were embarrassing, and of course the cheating that soon followed.
Do you think Warner should be recalled for the Ashes next year? I think he’s the real bad apple in your squad.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
Do you think Warner should be recalled for the Ashes next year? I think he’s the real bad apple in your squad.
i would have no problems never seeing him play international cricket again. smith and bancroft especially dont really have priors. warner has been a boil on this side for ages.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
i would have no problems never seeing him play international cricket again. smith and bancroft especially dont really have priors. warner has been a boil on this side for ages.
The crowds will give Warner a hard time. Smith probably not, and I think that’s fair enough.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Lol and it had nothing to do with England being complete shyte back then? Did the West Indies sledge back in the day? No they just put an extra 20mph on their deliveries or smacked you for 12 an over. Sledging is an Aussie disease, no one else’s
Viv Richards to Sunil Gaviskar when he lowered himself from #3 to #4
“Man, it don’t matter where you come in to bat, the score is still zero.”

Michael Holding to an umpire after getting an LBW turned down at the end of the over when retrieving his hat
"At least you can count to six"

Malcolm Marshall to David Boon
"Now David, Are you going to get out now or am I going to have to bowl around the wicket and kill you?”

Yeah they didn't sledge. What next you saw the Easter Bunny having lunch with the Tooth Fairy?

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The crowds will give Warner a hard time. Smith probably not, and I think that’s fair enough.
warner's bullying attitude is 10 years too late. the public will generally turn a blind eye to it as long as you're winning. you can't do it when you're a mediocre side.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Viv Richards to Sunil Gaviskar when he lowered himself from #3 to #4
“Man, it don’t matter where you come in to bat, the score is still zero.”

Michael Holding to an umpire after getting an LBW turned down at the end of the over when retrieving his hat
"At least you can count to six"

Malcolm Marshall to David Boon
"Now David, Are you going to get out now or am I going to have to bowl around the wicket and kill you?”

Yeah they didn't sledge. What next you saw the Easter Bunny having lunch with the Tooth Fairy?
I think there’s a big difference between that and what went on with Aussie sides under Ponting and Clarke

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
it's a bit of a different world too. all these guys play in the ipl, big bash etc together. i don't care for the ipl but it has certainly helped 'repair' relations between india and australia i'd say.

someone like kohli loves being the agitator. it's his brand, and as we know the indians love their brand name cricketer. if anything paine is smart by giving it back to him (within reason), it gets people involved even more.

I think there’s a big difference between that and what went on with Aussie sides under Ponting and Clarke
Undoubtedly, but your "sledging is Australia's disease and no one else's post" made me think that others don't sledge. Everyone does but, with everything, there's a line and we not only crossed it but thew up and shat on it. If we can keep the sledging to what Paine said, then there shouldn't be any issues.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
But you are slating Paine who said nothing compared to I'm going to kill you and is on par with the at least you can count to 6
Im slating Paine because the Indians were upset with him and so was the umpire. A lot of it is down to the fact that you are under the spotlight do you not understand that?

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Im slating Paine because the Indians were upset with him and so was the umpire. A lot of it is down to the fact that you are under the spotlight do you not understand that?
The indians weren't upset about it they were just sledging back and forth and were the instigators of it. The umpire got involved because neither party backed down but at no point did it really look like being anything serious. The spotlight is always on when we play India regardless of anything else, it's historically been the best team in the world vs the most followed team in the world. Kohli vs Paine wouldn't be in the top 100 confrontations in the past 25 years in world cricket but the media will make you want to believe that it's more than it is because this series and test cricket in general needs as much attention as it can get

He’s pretty good even if he looks like a potato. Hardly Shane Warne though
He’ll likely end his career with 500+ test wickets. That’d put only Warne, Muralitharan and Kumble with more from spinners.

Now has the equal most 5+ innings v India, the masters of spin, with 7.

He got a long way to go to match Swan
Really? Because statistically they're near identical. The difference is Swann was very consistent then faded very quickly, and Lyon has built his game further to be now what many would consider the best spinner in the world.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
He’ll likely end his career with 500+ test wickets. That’d put only Warne, Muralitharan and Kumble with more from spinners.

Now has the equal most 5+ innings v India, the masters of spin, with 7.

I think that record against India is what elevates Lyon’s standing. It really shouldn’t be underestimated how difficult that is to achieve.

For example, despite Warne’s overall success he was toyed with by the Indian batsmen. Dating back to Tendulkar, Shastri and Sidhu in the 90s. Averaged over 45 against them I believe.

But Lyon’s best figures are actually in India, and many of his 5 wicket hauls have been achieved there. Very significant milestones for him. Averaging over 70 with the bat too this series :D

jd2010

Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
One for you glenferry23

7AD7374D-B8D6-44E2-9B1C-F5012B5704E3.jpeg

“For me, I walked passed something and had the opportunity to stop it and I didn’t do it and that was my leadership failure.

“There was the potential for something to happen and it went out onto the field and I had the opportunity to stop it at that point, rather than say ‘I don’t want to know anything about it.’

Abysmal.

Back