The Association Football Cricket thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I do sorta feel for Mitch though, his continued selection would be tough given he'd probably feel like he needs a season or 2 to just play consistently in the Shield.
That’s true.
Personally think he’ll never amount to much but he surely needs some time away to hone his craft.

Really? I think it's great, very clever. The whole babysitter gag was fantastic. Far better than the "entertaining" trash we hear from Rishabh Pant.
It’s about as funny as a World Vision ad. Rubbish dad banter. He should concentrate on scoring runs and not trying to be Bill Hicks. Even the Kohli sledge was cringeworthy. Virat still probably doesn’t even know who he is.

That’s true.
Personally think he’ll never amount to much but he surely needs some time away to hone his craft.
His treatment is baffling. Seems like he can't get selected in ODI's where his record stands up with the likes of Steve Waugh, Aravinda De Silva, Carl Hooper, Sanath Jayasuriya, Hansie Cronje among others yet gets conrinually selected for test matches when it's clear he needs time at the lower level to work on his game.

Some of the Paine sledging does seem a bit rehearsed. I don’t really mind him having a crack, but it makes him look like a bit of a sook after his whinging regarding Pant after the first test. Since then, Paine has probably been the most vocal out there.

Anyway, pretty amazing stuff from Cummins. Quality stuff with the bat and ball, in all four innings really. Very disciplined and puts a high price on his wicket, the top order should be watching him and taking notes.

From Reddit:

How the Australian selection meeting happened:

Justin Langer: “We need a strong middle order batsman who is particularly skilful against spin AND can also bowl some handy part timers to relieve stress from the bowling attack because Pujara is going to face ******* 500 balls this match. Finch is further away from hitting Bumrah than a paedophile is legally mandated to be away from a primary school, and he has the temperament of a gold fish. He has to go.”

Trevor Hohns: “I still like his intent...”

Greg Chappell: (ignoring him) “What about Glenn maxwell? He averages over 40 in first class cricket, is a good player of spin, experienced against this opposition (having scored a fighting 100 against India on the subcontinent) and also started his career as an off-spinner? He’d be able to make the side as a batsman alone and his bowling is more than handy.”

TH: (defensively) “He’s a hack.”

GC: “Alternatively, we could pick Matt Wade at number 6? He is in the form of his life, the leading run scorer in the Sheffield Shield (averaging over 60), has two test match centuries, provides good chat and has a good cricketing brain. We did say we would reward those banging down the door with runs.”

TH: “You can’t pick two wicket keepers in a side (wilfully ignoring that England have 3 and that Wade and Paine have been playing in the same Tasmanian side)”

GC: “Joe Burns?”

TH: “nah”

GC: “Michael Neser?”

JL: “who?”

TH: (loudly) “I THINK that we should pick Marnus Labuschagne AND bat him at number 3. He averages 33 (the lowest of any player picked to bat at #3 this century), hasn’t scored any runs this shield season and has a bowling average of nearly 50.”

JL: “He does have potential...”

GC: “I don’t know...”

JL: “I like him as a bloke”

GC: “Oh, then he must be a good selection.”

TH: “Yeah, I think so.”

All: “Let’s go with that.”

the phrase langer used of 'in contention' concerned me. surely every australian cricketer, unless injured or banned, should come under consideration? what is the point of shield cricket if we just ignore the guys who make the most runs and take the most wickets? are we picking the team on vibes now?

if marnus was brought in as some sort of all rounder then i hope his batting is a bit further along than his leg spin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not much in this pitch for the bowlers, plenty of runs to be had for the batsmen. Harris would be kicking himself, a century was there for the taking.

And now Head. Got another start, but throws it away.

These are great batting conditions, amazing how many of the batsmen have undone themselves.

A 2-1 result would flatter Australia based on the cricket played. India have been quite unlucky with these bad light and rain delays.

I can’t recall the last time bad light affected a test to this extent in Australia, usually quite prevalent in the late afternoons in the sub continent.

But not being able to start play at 10am yesterday due to bad light on a summer morning in Sydney, I’m struggling to think when that last happened.

Australia need to show they can bat out for a day and not play idiotic shots like it’s a T20 match. That’s probably the only interest left in the series. India win their first ever series in Australia, that’s some stat that

A 2-1 result would flatter Australia based on the cricket played. India have been quite unlucky with these bad light and rain delays.

I can’t recall the last time bad light affected a test to this extent in Australia, usually quite prevalent in the late afternoons in the sub continent.

But not being able to start play at 10am yesterday due to bad light on a summer morning in Sydney, I’m struggling to think when that last happened.
Imagine if Australia had snuck a win in Adelaide.

So it’s pissing down in Sydney once again. I don’t want to hear any whinging when there’s rain delays during the ashes

Remove this Banner Ad

Back