glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Amazing turnaround from their series here last month, that was actually dire viewing. Quite boring seeing such one sided games.

They barely fired a shot and then go to South Africa and sweep them 2-0. Wow.

b7f9c72f-0ab0-4eeb-a486-197778aac5f5_text_hi.gif

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2019...ship-announcement-a-joke/11057352?pfmredir=sm

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
2 things stick out for me about this World Cup. Feels like it’s been a very low key build up (perhaps that’s just me). Genuinely forgot the tournament started yesterday.

Will be paying closer attention closer to the finals, but for now I’m a bit indifferent about ODIs.

And secondly, this tournament seems to be too long. I checked the schedule, the final isn’t until July 14. Wow, that’s a long World Cup.

Didn’t expect that result after the the Windies ran through the top order. Great fightback to get to 288.

Cottrell?

He’s fast becoming my favourite player. Love seeing this type of character back for them.
Yeh Cottrell!

Great to see Windies side who are performing. Its great for the game

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
On the topic of the booing Smith and Warner are copping in England, what’s people’s take on it? Think it was fairly predictable and unfortunately we’ve got plenty of form here with the likes of Broad etc.

It’s not great, but I like the lengths Langer has gone to in order to address it. Sucks though for Langer that his predecessor, Lehman, said something like “I hope he goes home crying” in relation to Broad a few years ago. People don’t tend to forget s**t comments like that.

Hypocritical is my only thought.

Trescothick has admitted to repeated ball tampering during his career.
Panesar has now done the same during his career.

That's a 10+ year period of English sides doing similar to what our guys did, and it's the English crowd that boos them.
Hypocrites.

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Does any team want to be consistently good this season or just Geelong?

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hypocritical is my only thought.

Trescothick has admitted to repeated ball tampering during his career.
Panesar has now done the same during his career.

That's a 10+ year period of English sides doing similar to what our guys did, and it's the English crowd that boos them.
Hypocrites.

Agreed on face value, however I think it gets a bit more complex than that.

I don’t necessarily think it’s just about the ball tampering stuff with Warner, he’s got a long track record of dishing s**t out. And this was just the icing on the cake for them, he’s fair game since.

Smith though, aside from that brain fade has been pretty unblemished otherwise. Copped his whack and has done his time in relative silence, and I feel for him a bit that his return to cricket was in England (where he was always going to cop it, the Ashes too).

Just on the ball tampering stuff, yes England have form too. Most teams quite likely too, however no one else is really silly enough to get caught (and lie about it afterwards).

The booing of Broad was because he didn’t walk, hardly a sin to be castigated over. This is where the hypocritical tag goes both ways. No one really made much noise when Symonds stood there after a clear edge off Sharma in the infamous Sydney test.

Many batsmen stand their ground. Crowds are going to do what crowds do, to an extent you can’t always control that.

But what hurts our position about being righteous about this is Darren Lehmann at the time. So rare to see a coach/manager at this level of professional sport say what he said, and against an arch rival like England that just adds unnecessary fuel to the fire.

It’s not great to see, especially Smith the other night being booed off after batting so well (and it took a ridiculously good catch to get him out). But I don’t think it’s going to go away anytime soon for him, it’s the new normal for him over there.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
On the topic of the booing Smith and Warner are copping in England, what’s people’s take on it? Think it was fairly predictable and unfortunately we’ve got plenty of form here with the likes of Broad etc.

It’s not great, but I like the lengths Langer has gone to in order to address it. Sucks though for Langer that his predecessor, Lehman, said something like “I hope he goes home crying” in relation to Broad a few years ago. People don’t tend to forget **** comments like that.
deserved, expected, and ineffectual. warner has been copping s**t for years, and smith is too talented to let it get to him.

i will never like warner, but both got punishments way beyond anything else that had been given, took them on the chin and went about their business. no legal battles, outside of the press conference not much in the way of whining. just accepted it and moved on. there's not much more they can do honestly.

there wouldnt have even been a slap on the wrist if it was any other board.

Back