The Association Football Cricket thread

Agreed on face value, however I think it gets a bit more complex than that.

I don’t necessarily think it’s just about the ball tampering stuff with Warner, he’s got a long track record of dishing **** out. And this was just the icing on the cake for them, he’s fair game since.

Smith though, aside from that brain fade has been pretty unblemished otherwise. Copped his whack and has done his time in relative silence, and I feel for him a bit that his return to cricket was in England (where he was always going to cop it, the Ashes too).

Just on the ball tampering stuff, yes England have form too. Most teams quite likely too, however no one else is really silly enough to get caught (and lie about it afterwards).

The booing of Broad was because he didn’t walk, hardly a sin to be castigated over. This is where the hypocritical tag goes both ways. No one really made much noise when Symonds stood there after a clear edge off Sharma in the infamous Sydney test.

Many batsmen stand their ground. Crowds are going to do what crowds do, to an extent you can’t always control that.

But what hurts our position about being righteous about this is Darren Lehmann at the time. So rare to see a coach/manager at this level of professional sport say what he said, and against an arch rival like England that just adds unnecessary fuel to the fire.

It’s not great to see, especially Smith the other night being booed off after batting so well (and it took a ridiculously good catch to get him out). But I don’t think it’s going to go away anytime soon for him, it’s the new normal for him over there.
Warner is a different kettle of fish. He's a very unlikable person, even Aussies don't like him.
Smith fell on his sword when he wasn't involved in the cheating, his only crime was knowing and not demanding it be not done, he instead said I don't want to know about it. Went down the ignorance path. Booing him will do nothing, it'll spurn him on to do well.

But let me flip what Poms on an English forum have told me on its head.

They told me in March last year that there's no way only those 3 knew and the bowlers had to have known. Quite possibly true, but flipping that on its head, that means that arguably when Trescothick was in the slips in 05 rubbing lolly soaked saliva on the ball, that their bowlers probably knew. Always strange that Simon Jones, Freddie, Harmison and Hoggard got prodigious reverse swing that series yet Gillespie, Kasper, Lee and McGrath could not. They knew, and were given MBE's for their trouble.

Then there's Monty;

"Monty Panesar has made bombshell claims about the England cricket team that question whether its treatment of the ball in the field was legal throughout his international career.
The former England spinner, who played 50 Tests between 2006 and 2013, played a crucial role in ball-maintenance for the likes of James Anderson.

“We found that mints and sun cream had an effect on the saliva, and that helped the ball to reverse,” he revealed in an excerpt of his book ‘The Full Monty’, which appeared on the Daily Mail."

So my disdain for Broad isn't about not walking, the umpire is paid to make decisions so Broad v Symonds is not what I'm on about.
Broad and Anderson would have known, and if they didn't then they're incredibly daft not to notice sweets and sun cream on the ball, just like Starc and Cummins would have in March last year.

Hence, the stance by the UK media and fans is extremely hypocritical.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
deserved, expected, and ineffectual. warner has been copping **** for years, and smith is too talented to let it get to him.

i will never like warner, but both got punishments way beyond anything else that had been given, took them on the chin and went about their business. no legal battles, outside of the press conference not much in the way of whining. just accepted it and moved on. there's not much more they can do honestly.

there wouldnt have even been a slap on the wrist if it was any other board.

I have disliked Warner for a long time, he was a common denominator in many unsavoury incidents. I find him embarrassing as an Australian at times.

I don’t feel he deserves to be back in the side but such are the concerns with the batting, that you have to play your best bats I guess.

Smith though, I’m behind him. Still a gun batsman, doesn’t even looking like getting out when he bats. He’ll be fine in the long run, but it’s going to be a long few months for him.

Warner is a different kettle of fish. He's a very unlikable person, even Aussies don't like him.
Smith fell on his sword when he wasn't involved in the cheating, his only crime was knowing and not demanding it be not done, he instead said I don't want to know about it. Went down the ignorance path. Booing him will do nothing, it'll spurn him on to do well.

But let me flip what Poms on an English forum have told me on its head.

They told me in March last year that there's no way only those 3 knew and the bowlers had to have known. Quite possibly true, but flipping that on its head, that means that arguably when Trescothick was in the slips in 05 rubbing lolly soaked saliva on the ball, that their bowlers probably knew. Always strange that Simon Jones, Freddie, Harmison and Hoggard got prodigious reverse swing that series yet Gillespie, Kasper, Lee and McGrath could not. They knew, and were given MBE's for their trouble.

Then there's Monty;

So my disdain for Broad isn't about not walking, the umpire is paid to make decisions so Broad v Symonds is not what I'm on about.
Broad and Anderson would have known, and if they didn't then they're incredibly daft not to notice sweets and sun cream on the ball, just like Starc and Cummins would have in March last year.

Hence, the stance by the UK media and fans is extremely hypocritical.

Yep I understand you now, I thought the hypocritical reference was in regards to something else.

I have no doubt as to what was happening in that 2005 series, but remember, they never got caught. It doesn’t make it right of course, but an important distinction.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
******* hell Gero you like a whinge don’t you. We are always going to bag the Aussies, just like you would with us. Just a bit of fun don’t get so upset about it.

Your boys have started well against the injuns..

******* hell Gero you like a whinge don’t you. We are always going to bag the Aussies, just like you would with us. Just a bit of fun don’t get so upset about it.

Your boys have started well against the injuns..
Calm down petal. Was asked a question so answered it. I never defended their actions and they got the sanctions they deserved.
Doesn't mean we should cop hypocrisy however.

Anyway this happened today.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Quite a significant set of results overnight. South Africa came to play.

Huge semi final now with England v Australia. What a build up that will be.

India you’d think should account for New Zealand. Batting is ridiculously good, cruised to the target last night and Bumrah just keeps getting it done with the ball.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Would love to see New Zealand win it, really like Williamson.

Didn’t expect that smashing overnight. Absolutely comprehensive by England. Won it with 18 overs left, wow.

Saw a lot of laughing at India on the cricket forum the day before but after that pummelling, it’s gone a bit quiet.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
Best two sides have made it. Hopefully it's a good contest. We were always an average side playing off the backs of two or three stars performing, we've only got the 3 as well and 2 of them are just back from cheating bans. As soon as 2 of the 3 fail we aren't really that good at all.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NZ batting, both teams unchanged. Looking forward to this, hope it’s a much better final than 2015 which in truth was quite boring in the end.

NZ batting, both teams unchanged. Looking forward to this, hope it’s a much better final than 2015 which in truth was quite boring in the end.
Or if it is boring, let it be in the Kiwi's favour.

Jun 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
What a finish in the Cricket World Cup final. England have won it in the super over.

Tie after 50 overs and a run out beat New Zealand going for 2 runs on the last ball of the super over. A tie after the super over and England won the World Cup. That is how close the final was.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
The cricket gods only had one winner in mind with how that played out

Seriously 4 overthrows off the bat, that never bloody happens in any form of cricket, never, should've been 7 off 2 needed not 3 off 2

NZ bowl England out to tie

NZ tie superover also but lose on boundary countback

What's the ******* point of Duckworth ******* Lewis if the value of a boundary is greater than the value of a wicket

Garbage

Back