The Association Football Cricket thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Have we left ourselves enough time to get the 10 wickets. Probably could have come in 20-30 runs sooner and still been in an un-loseable position

Yes I felt we could have declared a bit earlier. We've made it nearly impossible for the poms to win now but in the process of doing that have reduced our chances of winning.

WealstoneRaider thoughts on the last day's play?

Most likely will be a draw, however it was crucial we made sure a win for the poms was pretty much mission impossible.

Steve Smith is unreal, the best since Bradman now surely.
Sangakkara still the best bat since Don for me. For Australia? Quite possibly.

Kumar wouldn’t even make the podium.

Sachin
Richards
Pollock
Kumar's better than Sachin. Didn't see the other two play so don't feel it's right to comment.

Sanga had more centuries per match, higher average, and played the majority of his innings' at 3 which Sachin never did. If I were doing a best XI I'd seen Sachin would be line ball with Lara and Ponting in whether or not I picked him

Most likely will be a draw, however it was crucial we made sure a win for the poms was pretty much mission impossible.

Steve Smith is unreal, the best since Bradman now surely.

I was at the first test in Australia where he made a century, that was his 2nd & now he's up to 25 in total. What a player he is

Kumar's better than Sachin. Didn't see the other two play so don't feel it's right to comment.

Sanga had more centuries per match, higher average, and played the majority of his innings' at 3 which Sachin never did. If I were doing a best XI I'd seen Sachin would be line ball with Lara and Ponting in whether or not I picked him
Could not disagree more.

vs Aus: Kumar 43.9 Sachin 55.0
vs Eng: Kumar 40.2 Sachin 51.7
vs RSA: Kumar 47.9 Sachin 42.4

Sachin had 25/51 centuries against those 3. Kumar had 7/38.
In contrast Kumar bullied the lesser nations of Pak, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe etc far more.

Sir Jack Hobbs
Sir Len Hutton
Sir Donald Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Viv Richards
Sir Garfield Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
James Anderson
Glenn McGrath

This is a side that without even giving Kumar a second thought has no room for Ponting, Lara, Imran Khan, Kallis, Botham, Marshall, Walsh, Ambrose, Gavaskar, Border, Waugh, Lillee, Hadlee, Muralitharan, Headley, Ponsford etc etc etc.

Kumar was a great player, do not get me wrong. Better than Sachin. Not on your life.

Could not disagree more.

In contrast Kumar bullied the lesser nations of Pak, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe etc far more.

Sir Jack Hobbs
Sir Len Hutton
Sir Donald Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Viv Richards
Sir Garfield Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
James Anderson
Glenn McGrath

This is a side that without even giving Kumar a second thought has no room for Ponting, Lara, Imran Khan, Kallis, Botham, Marshall, Walsh, Ambrose, Gavaskar, Border, Waugh, Lillee, Hadlee, Muralitharan, Headley, Ponsford etc etc etc.

Kumar was a great player, do not get me wrong. Better than Sachin. Not on your life.
Respectfully disagree. Neither averaged below 40 against any side but the fact of the matter is Kumar batted in the hardest position for 207 of his 233 test innings', 68 of those whilst keeping and yet still managed to average near on 60 in a side that quite frankly sucked other than him, Mahela, Vaas and Murali. Also in that side I would have thought Herbert Sutcliffe would get a run with Hobbs as they were probably the best opening partnership ever.

Could not disagree more.

Sir Jack Hobbs
Sir Len Hutton
Sir Donald Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Viv Richards
Sir Garfield Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
James Anderson
Glenn McGrath

Great post, 100% agree.

So easily forgotten the bowlers that Tendulkar faced throughout his career, which spanned across the 80s, 90s, 00s etc.

Sachin also played in some terrible periods for Indian cricket, that’s also overlooked. His record in Australia for example is phenomenal. Scored hundreds all over the country. Including Perth as a 17 year old against McDermott, Reid, Hughes etc. I wonder what Kumar’s record is on our shores?

Anyway.As good as Sangakarra is, he’s nowhere near Tendulkar for me. Not even in the discussion IMO.

Great post, 100% agree.

So easily forgotten the bowlers that Tendulkar faced throughout his career, which spanned across the 80s, 90s, 00s etc.

Sachin also played in some terrible periods for Indian cricket, that’s also overlooked. His record in Australia for example is phenomenal. Scored hundreds all over the country. Including Perth as a 17 year old against McDermott, Reid, Hughes etc. I wonder what Kumar’s record is on our shores?

Anyway.As good as Sangakarra is, he’s nowhere near Tendulkar for me. Not even in the discussion IMO.
5 matches, 543 runs at 60. Funnily enough, Australia's one of only 3 nations he didn't score a double against along with England (HS 152) and funnily enough the West Indies (HS 157*), which if DRS was around then he would have against Australia as it came off his shoulder. Has the second most double centuries in test cricket.

That’s an excellent record actually, better than I originally thought. Albeit boosted by that cracking 190 odd, I remember being bewildered he was given out for that. Shocking umpiring.

Like I said, great batsman. But I believe Sachin has 6 or 7 centuries here, far longer sample size too over his 20 years touring here.

That’s an excellent record actually, better than I originally thought. Albeit boosted by that cracking 190 odd, I remember being bewildered he was given out for that. Shocking umpiring.

Like I said, great batsman. But I believe Sachin has 6 or 7 centuries here, far longer sample size too over his 20 years touring here.
Sachin had the benefit of having 20 tests here in 21 years in comparison to Sanga's 5 in 15 years as you say. Sangakkara's record statistically stands him up above Sachin, Lara etc IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah. The quality of bowling Sachin faced over his 20+ years in the game significantly elevates him higher IMO. As do his 1,800+ test runs against the best in their own backyard. Incomparable for me.

Meanwhile, about as good a first session as you could have wanted, 4 down with Root out as well. Lyon on fire and Siddle too was all over them, extremely unlucky to be wicket less.

That was a test match with a lot of twists and turns. Didn’t get to see much of it over the weekend but that’s where the Aussies turned the screw. We looked toothless without Anderson which is a bit of a worry to say the least. Pretty usual meek surrender today also.

Again, didn’t see that coming. Thumping win in the end even though the game swung day by day. The bowling yesterday was on point.

England definitely were hindered by Anderson’s injury, however being shot out in 52 overs has to be a concern for them.

Moeen Ali needs to go. Has been dismissed by Lyon 9 times in the last 6 tests against Australia and is nowhere near a #1 spinner at test level. Archer will invariably debut, Woakes may be injured as well? If so they need to make a few changes to the top order anyway:

Rory Burns (Impressive game, was surprised by him)
Dom Sibley (Roy is their Aaron Finch. Won't make it. Sibley dominating county cricket.)
Joe Root (Think he's better off at 4 but they disagree so eh)
Johnny Bairstow (Don't rate him but they need to change things up and bring in a better keeper in Foakes in)
Jos Buttler (Lucky. Very lucky.)
Ben Stokes (Probably their second best player for the first test)
Ben Foakes (Baffled why he wasn't originally in the side)
Jofra Archer (They're desperate to debut him)
Sam Curran (If Woakes is injured)
Stuart Broad (Need him to stand up now)
Jack Leach (See Foakes)

The test career of Dale Steyn has ended. The game just lost one of the all time greats.
Moeen Ali needs to go. Has been dismissed by Lyon 9 times in the last 6 tests against Australia and is nowhere near a #1 spinner at test level. Archer will invariably debut, Woakes may be injured as well? If so they need to make a few changes to the top order anyway:

Dom Sibley (Roy is their Aaron Finch. Won't make it. Sibley dominating county cricket.)
Joe Root (Think he's better off at 4 but they disagree so eh)
Johnny Bairstow (Don't rate him but they need to change things up and bring in a better keeper in Foakes in)
Jos Buttler (Lucky. Very lucky.)
Ben Stokes (Probably their second best player for the first test)
Ben Foakes (Baffled why he wasn't originally in the side)
Jofra Archer (They're desperate to debut him)
Sam Curran (If Woakes is injured)
Stuart Broad (Need him to stand up now)
Jack Leach (See Foakes)

Sitrep on the Englishness of the inclusions please. Archer we already know is about as English as Trump. ;)

He was lucky Paine didn't review one. Edged his way to one of the ugliest centuries, predictably failed second dig.
Won't make it.

The test career of Dale Steyn has ended. The game just lost one of the all time greats.

Sitrep on the Englishness of the inclusions please. Archer we already know is about as English as Trump. ;)
English dad.

Anyway I know you type this s**t to try and piss me off, so carry on by all means. Just makes you sound like a turnip, which you already do with your Levy love

Could not disagree more.

Sir Jack Hobbs
Sir Len Hutton
Sir Donald Bradman
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Viv Richards
Sir Garfield Sobers
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
James Anderson
Glenn McGrath

Why is Anderson in that side...

He's the Boomer Harvey of fast bowlers

Lillee or Ambrose or Walsh or Hadlee are ahead of him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back