The Association Football Cricket thread

But you’ve just done an all time choke on the ashes. Can’t see you recovering from that
You’ve won a match off an umpire howler and a World Cup on two ties.
We did s**t last night but we’ll still retain, 5 of your guys cannot bat.
We only have 4 who can’t bat and will win one of the next two.

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You’ve won a match off an umpire howler and a World Cup on two ties.
We did s**t last night but we’ll still retain, 5 of your guys cannot bat.
We only have 4 who can’t bat and will win one of the next two.
You’re the epitome of a sour Aussie loser my friend

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Why? Because I think we’ll still prevail.
You got lucky our captain was a numpty but now Smith is back
You may prevail, but it’s just become far harder. Personally still think it will end 2-2.

In a way you should celebrate what a fantastic test match it was. Drama wise it doesn’t get any better, and if test cricket is to survive the ever increasing popularity of limited overs then it was much needed. The Aussies played their part, that must be acknowledged.

As for our batting, yeah it’s pretty ropey, but they’ve all shown they can bat on some level. We know England can bat right down the order that’s why we can never be written off. We’re just massively inconsistent which is not an easy fix in cricket

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Can only tip your hat off for an effort like that. Amazing stuff by England.

Unbelievable bottle job by the bowlers it must be said. Take nothing away from Stokes though, that’s one for the ages. A 2005-esque epic match.

Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Man United, San Antonio Spurs
Oh aussies, oh no. Just as we look like we’re going to retain the ashes in England!!!, we do a bottle job like that, can’t write this stuff, bloody hell.

Ben Stokes though, wow, take a bow.

Can only tip your hat off for an effort like that. Amazing stuff by England.

Unbelievable bottle job by the bowlers it must be said. Take nothing away from Stokes though, that’s one for the ages. A 2005-esque epic match.
Paine is the one.

Was clueless with Stokes. Gave him 5 balls with everyone on the fence to belt a boundary or 2 then a single so Leach only had to face 0-1 balls an over and Stokes could milk strike. Bring them in after 4 balls and he has to pierce the field to get back on strike. Could’ve led to full overs v Leach.

He then burns the last review on a ball outside leg when Cummins says it wasn’t out. Only for Lyon to trap Stokes plumb and numbnuts Wilson give it not out.

Some truly horrendous captaincy

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Paine is the one.

Was clueless with Stokes. Gave him 5 balls with everyone on the fence to belt a boundary or 2 then a single so Leach only had to face 0-1 balls an over and Stokes could milk strike. Bring them in after 4 balls and he has to pierce the field to get back on strike. Could’ve led to full overs v Leach.

He then burns the last review on a ball outside leg when Cummins says it wasn’t out. Only for Lyon to trap Stokes plumb and numbnuts Wilson give it not out.

Holy crap that’s bad, I don’t know for myself as I haven’t seen any footage as yet (only lasted till about midnight).

Will be tuning in today for the replay of the final wicket stand, that’s disappointing if it’s played out like you described. From what I saw on the scorecard Leach faced about 18 balls, which you’d think should be enough to get the number 11 out. I haven’t seen that lbw decision yet but have heard about it a few times.

Poor captaincy aside, I will say the bowlers have to be absolutely accountable too. The first hour with the second new ball was ridiculously bad, so many extras. Wides, byes, leg byes etc. Leaking runs all over the wicket. Couldn’t maintain a line or length and crumbled under the pressure of England's counter attacking batting.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Anyone who can bear to try and find a good day 4 summary video a link for my lunch break would be handy.

I’m sure there’s extended versions on YouTube but here is one that I just watched.

Amazing late hitting, clearing the rope time after time despite all those fielders in the deep.

That Lyon fluffed run out was just as costly as that lbw.

Holy crap that’s bad, I don’t know for myself as I haven’t seen any footage as yet (only lasted till about midnight).

Will be tuning in today for the replay of the final wicket stand, that’s disappointing if it’s played out like you described. From what I saw on the scorecard Leach faced about 18 balls, which you’d think should be enough to get the number 11 out. I haven’t seen that lbw decision yet but have heard about it a few times.

Poor captaincy aside, I will say the bowlers have to be absolutely accountable too. The first hour with the second new ball was ridiculously bad, so many extras. Wides, byes, leg byes etc. Leaking runs all over the wicket. Couldn’t maintain a line or length and crumbled under the pressure of England's counter attacking batting.
Hardly. That partnership would barely have had 10% of balls hitting the stumps.

Lots of short crap

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
i dont know why cricket sees itself as too good to bowl full to tailenders. leach positioned himself perfectly for ones in at his hip, and thats where most of cummins' were bowled. why did we bowl a yorker to broad, who is a much better batsman, but not to leach?

whatever happened to just bowling over the wicket too? target those who struggle with the short ball (denly) and just bowl good line and length to others and adjust accordingly.

so while stokes' innings was absolutely freakish, we put it in the slot so often. and sometimes, like his reverse sweep 6 and getting underneath the yorker from hazlewood, what can you do? but they completely lost their heads, composure and plans that had worked so well previously. i dont like having a go at the bowlers because they have been the group that have saved our arses time and again, but 359 was more than enough. a real bad day for australian cricket.

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
I’m sure there’s extended versions on YouTube but here is one that I just watched.

Amazing late hitting, clearing the rope time after time despite all those fielders in the deep.

That Lyon fluffed run out was just as costly as that lbw.

Awful bowling to stokes there. I went to bed just before lunch and thought England were in a good place. They bat to 8 with 9 and 10 handy as well. Needed under 150 with 6 wickets in hand on a deck not doing plenty. Obviously to lose from where we had them at 9 down is a choke but this game was evenly placed going into day 4, slight advantage for us but their middle and lower order is always capable of that

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Awful bowling to stokes there. I went to bed just before lunch and thought England were in a good place. They bat to 8 with 9 and 10 handy as well. Needed under 150 with 6 wickets in hand on a deck not doing plenty. Obviously to lose from where we had them at 9 down is a choke but this game was evenly placed going into day 4, slight advantage for us but their middle and lower order is always capable of that

I didn’t like the way Paine abandoned the conventional field so quickly. Too many fielders out on the rope with still 50,60 runs to get.

Surely with a regulation slip cordon and fielders in saving the single, attacking Stokes outside off stump would have been a better play. Instead of bowling them in his slot. Which in fairness, still takes damn good batting to dispatch over the fence (that switch hit 6 was ridiculously good).

All so easy to say now in hindsight. The bowlers looked unplayable in the first innings when the pitch was offering plenty, but with it flattening out they looked lost. Siddle would have been very handy in these conditions, has good variations with the ball and a few more tricks up his sleeve when it’s not doing that much.

Anyway, all so easy to say now. It was Stokes’ game and he’s played a blinder. Amazing stuff.

That lbw whilst clearly out on replay, I can understand not being given live. Looked to me as it was shooting down leg, but then the ball tracker shows it’s absolutely out. As for Lyon’s fluffed run out, no one else to blame for that unfortunately. It was England’s day.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Paine is the one.

Actually Cummins said it hit in line but he thought he hit it, Paine didn't know but said he didn't hit it. So they combined their IQ of 1 each to make 2 and reviewed.

Back