glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
This is actually good news. Paine is sh*t. Get Carey in and make Smudge or Cummins skipper.

Supposedly he’s still available for selection and will play in the XI, I don’t think Paine has retired as such. Although that may change.

He’s going to cop a barrage of sledging etc. Given the s**t he dishes out. It’s going to come back in spades.

Surely Smith can never captain again, that'd be a bit dodgy.

I tend to agree. Shouldn’t be captain again. Still a leader of the side and his experience/advice is drawn upon. However can’t make him the formal captain again I feel.

The text exchange is rather tame.

The CA PR machine essentially axing him for the dick pic.

I haven’t seen that, was there a link or something to the text exchange? I wonder why this has all come back to bite him now when the incident(s) were from 2017ish.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
I haven’t seen that, was there a link or something to the text exchange? I wonder why this has all come back to bite him now when the incident(s) were from 2017ish.
I dont get how a happily married man can text this s**t. What a scumbag.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I dont get how a happily married man can text this sh*t. What a scumbag.

Geez. He has a very forgiving partner indeed.

It’s not like he was some teenager who just burst onto the scene and struggling to deal with the new found fame and attention, and texted something inappropriate as a result. He still would’ve been what, 32 or 33 at that time? And married. It’s idiotic stuff.

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Supposedly he’s still available for selection and will play in the XI, I don’t think Paine has retired as such. Although that may change.

He’s going to cop a barrage of sledging etc. Given the sh*t he dishes out. It’s going to come back in spades.

I tend to agree. Shouldn’t be captain again. Still a leader of the side and his experience/advice is drawn upon. However can’t make him the formal captain again I feel.

Paine being in the side is a distraction the team don't need imo. If there is an adequate replacement then Paine should be dropped.

I think Smith is the only viable candidate to be captain for the Ashes. Too hard to give it to Cummins a few weeks before an Ashes series. It would be unfair on him. Smiths captaincy could just be an interim measure and he could be replaced by Cummins after the series. The general public will have their own thoughts but Smith has the respect of everyone in the Australian dressing room and they follow him.

Paine got tipped off that the text exchange was going to be made public and quit.

Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
I think the main reason Smith shouldn’t be captain again is he wasn’t any good at it the first time around, and it would only be tougher this time. I wouldn’t be completely surprised to see Head or Usman take it on short term for the summer.

Carey and Wade can hit the ball off the square.
Wade averages the same as Paine. Carey's FC average is barely ahead.

Paine is far superior with the gloves

Carey and Wade can hit the ball off the square.
Hate that he's done this because if he gets moved on I genuinely don't like the prospect of any of the state keepers playing in Brisbane.
None of them excite me.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Paine being in the side is a distraction the team don't need imo. If there is an adequate replacement then Paine should be dropped.

I think Smith is the only viable candidate to be captain for the Ashes. Too hard to give it to Cummins a few weeks before an Ashes series. It would be unfair on him. Smiths captaincy could just be an interim measure and he could be replaced by Cummins after the series. The general public will have their own thoughts but Smith has the respect of everyone in the Australian dressing room and they follow him.

Paine got tipped off that the text exchange was going to be made public and quit.

Yes it certainly will be a distraction. He’s going to cop a barrage. Maybe that decision needs to be taken out of his hands.

Agree that it’s asking too much of Cummins. I think he’d be fine as captain however would prefer to let him focus on his bowling and keeping himself fit etc, now that he’s overcome those earlier injuries.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
Yes it certainly will be a distraction. He’s going to cop a barrage. Maybe that decision needs to be taken out of his hands.

Agree that it’s asking too much of Cummins. I think he’d be fine as captain however would prefer to let him focus on his bowling and keeping himself fit etc, now that he’s overcome those earlier injuries.
this could all be avoided if Paine took it out of his hands to start with

I just remember him dominating with the bat when he was skipper.
That's fine. He was still a s**t captain tactically and it's not as if he doesn't dominate regardless

How the CA could have ever thought this would not come out one day. How could it not be a breach of conduct for a captain? Captain of national cricket holds a high expectation. To think they were prepared to sit on a time bomb for three years in todays environment is mind boggling

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
How the CA could have ever thought this would not come out one day. How could it not be a breach of conduct for a captain? Captain of national cricket holds a high expectation. To think they were prepared to sit on a time bomb for three years in todays environment is mind boggling

I can’t shake this feeling either, how the * could they appoint him captain knowing this? All because it didn’t constitute a “breach of the code of conduct”? I’m guessing the code itself was written by middle aged white men (“the suits”). They may need to revisit that document.

I can’t shake this feeling either, how the fu** could they appoint him captain knowing this? All because it didn’t constitute a “breach of the code of conduct”? I’m guessing the code itself was written by middle aged white men (“the suits”). They may need to revisit that document.
I think they may have already appointed him before they found out about it. But how they did not find it a breach of conduct and done something then is mind boggling. I think they were scared shitless of another hit to the brand on top of sandpaper gate

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I think they may have already appointed him before they found out about it. But how they did not find it a breach of conduct and done something then is mind boggling. I think they were scared shitless of another hit to the brand on top of sandpaper gate

After that debacle in South Africa there was enormous pressure to rebrand the image of the team. Paine was put forward as that new clean face with the good guy image, and to a large extent he did that well (except for his ridiculous sledging from behind the stumps at times).

It seems brand management took priority at the expense of all else. The executives at the time surely need to answer some tough questions now. Even if they found out after he was appointed captain, there still could have been a way to put a new captain in place whilst managing that transition etc.

There are lots of failures in this. It’s utterly embarrassing and am just about checked out of this side.

After that debacle in South Africa there was enormous pressure to rebrand the image of the team. Paine was put forward as that new clean face with the good guy image, and to a large extent he did that well (except for his ridiculous sledging from behind the stumps at times).

It seems brand management took priority at the expense of all else. The executives at the time surely need to answer some tough questions now. Even if they found out after he was appointed captain, there still could have been a way to put a new captain in place whilst managing that transition etc.

There are lots of failures in this. It’s utterly embarrassing and am just about checked out of this side.
Can’t blame you, the last two captains have now resigned in disgrace. Think Pat Cummins would be a step forward ..seems a decent lad

Back