The Association Football Cricket thread

Nah I’m not suggesting that either - for me for me a competitive contest is more enjoyable to watch than the regular pummelling touring countries receive here over the years.

Test cricket needs that, the series in India should be a much better contest. Speaking of which, that image of Rishabh Pant’s car after his accident was frightening stuff. I’m guessing he misses the series however that’s kinda irrelevant, glad he’s okay.
And what I am showing is that there are 2 things that occur in Australia over a multi-decade period of time.

1. That test crowds remain strong despite the fact that Australia routinely win series at home, and often by 2+ test margins.

2. That the Australian public and media fraternity are savage on the team when they lose. And by lose I mean a test match, let alone a series.

Combined I am asserting that the core of the Australian cricket fanbase don't seem to care if we are winning comfortably at home with little challenge, just as long as we don't lose at home.

On a more broader discussion there seem to be only 3 nations that A. Draw a regularly decent Test (and ODI for that matter) crowd and B. Financially sustain themselves off test matches.

They are England, Australia and India.

• NZ are having one of their better periods in Test Cricket having claimed the inaugural World Test Championship in 2021.
  • South Africa are forgoing Xmas/New Year tests this summer by playing us here (last two tours here were 3 tests prior to Boxing Day/New Year and then went home to play those fixtures). So that they can then launch their "SA20" T20 franchise league. Their focus has even shifted away from ODI's to the point that they are not automatically qualified for this years ODI World Cup and will play a knockout playoff tournament just to get in.
  • Sri Lankan cricket is cash strapped and seemingly doing worse off the field than when they were known as Ceylon. Sad, as on field their test side has had a couple of decent years of late.
  • Pakistan has only just resumed home test series, and they've been dull bores. Flat draw inducing wickets with barely 1000 people in attendance each day.
  • Windies cricket has struggled for a while, they simply do not get the traction they once did domestically as less young people take up the sport and their talent level has declined rapidly. The lure of the T20 circuit is one that their board has trouble shielding itself from as they simply cannot pay the players enough to keep the better players away.

So broadly Test Cricket has a lot of key issues to solve, most notably making it financially viable for home associations and players, and secondly keeping fans engaged. Which will be harder in the woke millennials era that seem to only be able to concentrate long enough for a T20 hit n giggle match.

And the media in cricket has the same savagery to losing as the AFL media. Cut from the same cloth.

Big watch on Mitchell and Nicks this year, the only coaches from the bottom 6 clubs that aren't newly hired or had credits in the bank (Simpson). The media will be brutal on both if wins stagnate or regress. As they are every year, they didn't care about Noble's project. Just the W/L column.

largebus

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nationals, Pelicans
I'd say Hinkley's seat is hotter than Mitchell's because of their respective offseasons. They added a recent number 1 pick among others and Ken's contract is up. Not even Kochie could justify extending him if they miss finals again.

The Hawks' fire sale means Mitchell's arse is covered unless they do worse than Norf last year. I think they cut too many vets like Norf in 2016 but they still have a better list than Noble ever did.

Nothing wrong with Zampa imo. He should be aggrieved at missing out. Better than Agar.
Nah. Wouldn't be in the 10 best FC/Test spinners in the country.

I can't think of a state where he's the second best spinner, let alone the best. Maybe Tassie or SA. I'd still take Manenti, Freeman and Andrews ahead though.

Lyon/Sangha
Swepson/Kuhnemann
Murphy/Holland
Manenti
Freeman/Andrews
Agar/Rocchiccioli

Zampa is simply s**t in terms of FC cricket

Nah. Wouldn't be in the 10 best FC/Test spinners in the country.

I can't think of a state where he's the second best spinner, let alone the best. Maybe Tassie or SA. I'd still take Manenti, Freeman and Andrews ahead though.

Lyon/Sangha
Swepson/Kuhnemann
Murphy/Holland
Manenti
Freeman/Andrews
Agar/Rocchiccioli

Zampa is simply s**t in terms of FC cricket
Sangha. No.
Holland is done.
Manenti onwards. No.

Lyon, Swepson, Kuhnemann and Murphy are obvious. Agar bowls nudies. His Sydney test efforts were embarrassing.

SOK was s**t and did well in India. Krejza anyone.

So still has reason to feel bummed imo. Better than 1 of the spinners touring India.

Sangha. No.
Holland is done.
Manenti onwards. No.

Lyon, Swepson, Kuhnemann and Murphy are obvious. Agar bowls nudies. His Sydney test efforts were embarrassing.

SOK was s**t and did well in India. Krejza anyone.

So still has reason to feel bummed imo. Better than 1 of the spinners touring India.
All of the players I listed are better FC spinners than him.

Zampa is shithouse in FC cricket. Great white ball bowler but that's it.

Is Todd Murphy any good? Never seen him play.
Play with one of his best mates so keen to see him get a crack. Did well for Aus A in SL last year.
That's irrelevant.

It was the arrogance in the comment that should absolutely be nowhere near the test team. You're not entitled to a squad spot because you're playing in the T20 side.
doubling down is precisely why I defended him in the first place. Comes across as a harmless soul. Arrogant… lol.

Swepson got picked for the subcontinent based off a similar FC record last year. Agar is hardly pulling up trees and has gone.

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Play with one of his best mates so keen to see him get a crack. Did well for Aus A in SL last year.

doubling down is precisely why I defended him in the first place. Comes across as a harmless soul. Arrogant… lol.

Swepson got picked for the subcontinent based off a similar FC record last year. Agar is hardly pulling up trees and has gone.
No one said he wasn't harmless, it comes across as entitled.

You can defend him for the next 3 months, won't change the fact they obviously don't want him there :)

Swepson's FC record when picked: 154 wickets at 34, SR 63, ER 3.37
Zampa currently: 108 wickets at 48, SR 73, ER 3.96

Similar in terms of the fact that Swepson is vastly superior in every area despite Zampa playing the majority of his matches in the two most spin friendly states in Australia and Swepson probably the second worst for spin?

Swepson's FC record when picked: 154 wickets at 34, SR 63, ER 3.37
Zampa currently: 108 wickets at 48, SR 73, ER 3.96

Similar in terms of the fact that Swepson is vastly superior in every area despite Zampa playing the majority of his matches in the two most spin friendly states in Australia and Swepson probably the second worst for spin?
We’re getting off track. You got your nose bent out of shape over the reasonable suggestion that he should feel disappointed for being overlooked for s**t like Agar.

None of them are good enough for test cricket but a tour of India demands 3-4 be selected to tour.

We’re getting off track. You got your nose bent out of shape over the reasonable suggestion that he should feel disappointed for being overlooked for s**t like Agar.

None of them are good enough for test cricket but a tour of India demands 3-4 be selected to tour.
Agar is better. For one he's FC standard, unlike Zampa.

It's not reasonable because he's not FC standard let alone test. When a bowler averages nearly 50 at FC level from nearly 40 matches it's fair to say they're no good.

It's not reasonable because he's not FC standard let alone test. When a bowler averages nearly 50 at FC level from nearly 40 matches it's fair to say they're no good.
We shall agree to disagree.

We’re arguing over spinners that are all 50 shades of s**t.

Swepson, Agar, Holland and Zampa all have low ceilings.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets

Agar is FC standard? He averages 42. Not with the bat.

Back