The Australian Greens - What are they Doing?

Remove this Banner Ad

The house of Reps is for local representation

The state boundaries are a quirk of history and should be done away with for federal representations.
It makes more sense to have senate representation based on population areas, regardless of any state boundaries.
I'm sure there could be some weighting given for some large expanses, but overall the system now unfairly favours the small population states
Might make sense but doubt you are going to get Tas, SA, WA to vote for it or Qld which will mildly effected

Some party totals with 75% of the vote counted
Nationals with 4.9% of the vote, or 570,411 votes have 10 seats
Greens with 10.1% of the vote or 1,167,648 votes have 1 seat

When I look at an overall figure like that I have to wonder if the representation is fair

View attachment 676539

And they
Not really. The Greens have generally picked up most of the ALP bleed. It's not really conceivable for large swathes of LNP voters to go left.

They are the one constant that has outlasted the rise and fall and rise of parties like One Nation, Palmer, Democrats etc.

Labor voters went to One Nation not the Greens this election.

Germany recognise the extreme cost of renewables and are going to do it anyway. I respect them for that, a country of engineers, rather than a bunch of greens who have zero energy generation knowledge.

We could do more for instance replace the generators on our hydros would increase output by 50 to 100%.

A German environmental engineer, who worked for a German engineering major and lectured at UWA represented

1) Australia’s environmental approach is too science based and thus focused on problems rather than capacity to solve
2) the wind and solar approach has been an utter failure. Naturally she doesn’t like nuclear but accepts where abundant hydro isn’t available, there is no option but nuclear

3) I was stunned of our toxic areas within our city. Most are in unlikely places, with a century or more work ahead to clean up

In short, Germany tried to build an industry that they could out compete with China, France, Russia and the US.

Like the US selling corn oil in the 80s to the Spanish, telling them olive oil was unhealthy. The world will slowly wake up and realise the environment is more valuable than snake oil salesmen.

The Greens continued existence absolutely crucifies Labor federally and prevents them from governing.

Labor's relationship with the Greens is fascinating, because you have this kind of radical left wing party who have a variety of nutters in it who make it impossible for it to become a true coalition like Nats/Libs... but you have the reliability of their vote (almost always around 10%) and the question around whether those 10% would goto Labor or not if the Greens didn't exist. Labor do help the Greens out from time to time.. but then you have Greens trying to snatch seats off Labor at any point they can.

Labor's relationship with the Greens is fascinating, because you have this kind of radical left wing party who have a variety of nutters in it who make it impossible for it to become a true coalition like Nats/Libs... but you have the reliability of their vote (almost always around 10%) and the question around whether those 10% would goto Labor or not if the Greens didn't exist. Labor do help the Greens out from time to time.. but then you have Greens trying to snatch seats off Labor at any point they can.

If it's been 10% for a while now is it fair to dismiss them readily as a 'radical' group with 'nutters'?

I mean I often dismiss One Nation myself but completely understand the motivations that result in 10% of Queenslanders voting for them in most elections.

The greens target demographic is middle class professionals, traditionally this demographic hasn’t identified strongly with labor, they’ve tended to swing around a bit. Labor has moved closer to the greens on issues with the view to absorbing their primary votes, it hasn’t happened they don’t identify as working class despite being salary earners. The consequence is that labor’s traditional workers base has drifted increasingly to the lnp and some to the micro parties on the right.

Imo labor has to return to its roots of being a workers party, that doesn’t mean they abandon being progressive entirely, but it cannot be their primary focus. Primarily they need to focus on improving the material conditions of workers.

If it's been 10% for a while now is it fair to dismiss them readily as a 'radical' group with 'nutters'?

I mean I often dismiss One Nation myself but completely understand the motivations that result in 10% of Queenslanders voting for them in most elections.

10% is a fair whack and is consistent

For all the high percentage of vote sin the House of Reps, they have only 1 seat as representation though

After the AFP action involving the media, Sen Di Natale was outed:l

“An attack on the press for doing their job is an attack on our democracy,” tweeted Greens leader
&
In March Di Natale revealed his inner tinpot when he told his admiring Melbourne inner-city audience of his plans to silence conservative journalists.

Fancy that, ban your critics or is there a bigger problem amongst Green members?

Last edited:

“An attack on the press for doing their job is an attack on our democracy,” tweeted Greens leader
&
In March Di Natale revealed his inner tinpot when he told his admiring Melbourne inner-city audience of his plans to silence conservative journalists.

Fancy that, ban your critics or is there a bigger problem amongst Green members?
Doesnt sound good.

Id expect comments like that from the nsw branch

&

Why did you copy and paste a link to Haneda Airport?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

... oops boiled the kettle too !

damn fine monorail to Haneda built 50 years ago & here we are thinking we are an advanced country.

as you were ...

If you compare Australian infrastructure to places like South Korea and Japan it will always end in tears.

In a way although I am a Greens voter (insert mocking here), I differ from them in their zeal for public transport, for example. We just don't have the density to support things like super fast internet comparable to South Korea, or high speed rail comparable to Japan.

If you compare Australian infrastructure to places like South Korea and Japan it will always end in tears.

In a way although I am a Greens voter (insert mocking here), I differ from them in their zeal for public transport, for example. We just don't have the density to support things like super fast internet comparable to South Korea, or high speed rail comparable to Japan.

caring about the environment is fine by me.
The Haneda monorail is a example of a standalone piece of infrastructure.

Ive just come back from Japan a bullet train every 30 minutes Tokyo to Hiroshima via Kyoto and Osaka.
I had a rail pass for 21days and got my moneys worth
Even the regular subway trains were every 4 minutes
That kind of predictability drives demand

When the built the first bullet train in Japan only 25% off the population had internal plumbing,it created a virtual non stop suburban sprawl along the line as it allowed salary mean to live in houses/flats close to transport/city jobs.
I think the Sydney Melbourne route as an air route is one of the busiest and a fast train line there would probably work.
Especially when you can go City centre to city centre without a taxi to the airport and back and the waiting to board

Ive just come back from Japan a bullet train every 30 minutes Tokyo to Hiroshima via Kyoto and Osaka.
I had a rail pass for 21days and got my moneys worth
Even the regular subway trains were every 4 minutes
That kind of predictability drives demand

When the built the first bullet train in Japan only 25% off the population had internal plumbing,it created a virtual non stop suburban sprawl along the line as it allowed salary mean to live in houses/flats close to transport/city jobs.
I think the Sydney Melbourne route as an air route is one of the busiest and a fast train line there would probably work.
Especially when you can go City centre to city centre without a taxi to the airport and back and the waiting to board

The Sydney-Melbourne corridor is nowhere near as densely populated as the Osaka-Tokyo one. Canberra and Albury-Wodonga have nowhere near the numbers or demand compared to Nagoya or Kyoto. I love the idea of high speed rail, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't work in Australia. If the Japanese still pay over $150, one way, for a ride between Osaka and Tokyo, imagine how much commuters in Australia would pay if the government doesn't subsidise the fare.

The Sydney-Melbourne corridor is nowhere near as densely populated as the Osaka-Tokyo one. Canberra and Albury-Wodonga have nowhere near the numbers or demand compared to Nagoya or Kyoto. I love the idea of high speed rail, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't work in Australia. If the Japanese still pay over $150, one way, for a ride between Osaka and Tokyo, imagine how much commuters in Australia would pay if the government doesn't subsidise the fare.
The suburban sprawl between Osaka and Tokyo happened after the train was built,the same would happen here (obviously not as dense)
$150 is comparable to an airfare and 2 taxi rides

Greens senator Jordon Steele-John accused the two major parties of being arsonists.

You are no better than a bunch of arsonists - borderline arsonists, and you should be ashamed. Your selfishness and your ignorance have known no bounds for decades, and now our communities are paying the price.​
Green leader Richard Di Natale

Just because we cannot tie any one individual fire to the climate emergency doesn’t mean that those who refuse to act are not responsible for these blazes.​

These are despicable statements reeking of complete political opportunism from a party that likes to take the high moral ground. What Greens policy might have made a difference to the tragic fires we are seeing?

Greens senator Jordon Steele-John accused the two major parties of being arsonists.

You are no better than a bunch of arsonists - borderline arsonists, and you should be ashamed. Your selfishness and your ignorance have known no bounds for decades, and now our communities are paying the price.​
Green leader Richard Di Natale

Just because we cannot tie any one individual fire to the climate emergency doesn’t mean that those who refuse to act are not responsible for these blazes.​

These are despicable statements reeking of complete political opportunism from a party that likes to take the high moral ground. What Greens policy might have made a difference to the tragic fires we are seeing?
Given that the Bureau of Meteorology found that climate change has caused an increase in the intensity and frequency of fire events and the Coalition still refuses to take meaningful action to fight climate change, I don't think either statement is particularly unreasonable.

They have the evidence, yet they refused to take action. Of course there would still be fire events, regardless, but according to BOM's research, by continuing to support the destruction of the planet, the Coalition are unequivocally partly responsible.

inb4 BOM are lying and should be defunded

Remove this Banner Ad

Back