Grand Slam The Australian Open Preview Thread (17 Jan-30 Jan)

Winners of the Aus Open(Man+Women)

• Daniil Medvedev

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Alexander Zverev

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Rafa

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Next Gen (Male)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Men)

• Ashleigh Barty

• Naomi Osaka

• Muguruza/Halep/Swiatek/Krejcikova

• Kontaveit/Badosa/Sabalenka/Sakkari

• Other (Women)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Novak Djokovic

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I am sure Drummond would agree with me but Rybakina is a top top player with a powerful game. really has all the weapons to destroy a weaker opponent. Just has to not run into Barty In Melbourne and she could finish anywhere.
Granted Raducana had some serious limitations, what a performance by Rybakina to destroy her in under an hour. Just hope she can maintain consistency. If she serves well and she’s confident, there’s no doubt she can win it all.

Interested to see how Sekulic goes in qualies today. Popko's a tough opponent but he's probably the one Aussie junior I've seen who can really push for the ATP tour in the next couple of years.

Interested to see how Sekulic goes in qualies today. Popko's a tough opponent but he's probably the one Aussie junior I've seen who can really push for the ATP tour in the next couple of years.

I haven't seen him play much. Big game? I have seen a fair bit of Ed Winter the last few years, I am not sure he will have the game to be a really good player on tour.

I know Tennis Australia has had other more important things to worry about so I am not being critical but next summer I hope to see the summer extended with some Challenges and ITF events.

It makes it easier if the lesser tour players can stay for a couple of weeks post Australian open qualifying. One in the second week of the Grand Slam and one the week after like they did in Tasmania. Also returning some ITF events to September and October helps lessen the travel. Going to spend a month in Tunisia to earn points for instance is hard work.

I haven't seen him play much. Big game? I have seen a fair bit of Ed Winter the last few years, I am not sure he will have the game to be a really good player on tour.
Only seen him a couple of times but he seems to do everything pretty well, mainly a baseliner but has a big enough serve, solid backhand, strong forehand, technique looks sound to me. This is based off about 20 minutes of tennis on dodgy streams though so could be completely wrong.

I know Tennis Australia has had other more important things to worry about so I am not being critical but next summer I hope to see the summer extended with some Challenges and ITF events.

It makes it easier if the lesser tour players can stay for a couple of weeks post Australian open qualifying. One in the second week of the Grand Slam and one the week after like they did in Tasmania. Also returning some ITF events to September and October helps lessen the travel. Going to spend a month in Tunisia to earn points for instance is hard work.
Don’t be surprised if there are some ITF/Challengers added from the second week of Feb

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Legitimate question. If a player is willing to play while positive, can they?

I'm yet to find the answer as to what happens if a player tests positive just before their quarter/semi/final?
There is no enforcement of testing as far as I’m aware. It’s basically an honour system, but you miss out serious money if you test positive, so you can pretty easily guess how many players are self testing

My question remains, what happens if a player tests positive just before a semi or the final?
Wouldnt be any different than Chang retiring due to blisters after 1 set v Federer. Or Henin v Mauresmo

Unless the Vic Gov abandons all integrity and ignores the rules for 1 person. But I actually can't see that happening. And no, I am not referring to Novak there. I would think and hope the player and his staff are professional enough to protect them from receiving any sickness in the later stage of the tournament.

I live in hope

Back