Grand Slam The Australian Summer of Tennis 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Already been announced that warm up events will take place in Melbourne/Victoria.

I have been to the tournament in Burnie. Nice little venue
really?

I hope they don't do that again. NSW/ACT should host as well. No reason not to. They have dates on when they are opening up and everything and have some of the highest vax rates in the world.

Seriously, our state Premiers need to stop being petty about covid. I get why Tennis Aus should keep the closed border states out but elsewhere, it is just not needed.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
Should just give Sydney the Aus open next year. They'd welcome all players with open arms.

Obviously won't happen. Walked through Melbourne Park on the weekend and they are starting to erect the temporary seating on the outside courts.

I really hope there is no capacity limit and there are no zones like this year. It was a very average Aus open atmosphere wise, apart from the Kyrgios matches.

really?

I hope they don't do that again. NSW/ACT should host as well. No reason not to. They have dates on when they are opening up and everything and have some of the highest vax rates in the world.

Seriously, our state Premiers need to stop being petty about covid. I get why Tennis Aus should keep the closed border states out but elsewhere, it is just not needed.

In that press conference Tiley did just before the US Open saying they were looking at a week of training, week of warm-up events and then the Aus Open.

We're actually now less then 3 months away from the next Aus Open. Wow. Time is going way too quickly.

Should just give Sydney the Aus open. They'd welcome all players with open arms.

And all matches would best of 1 set because of lack of courts.

BrissyLions101

Senior List
Apr 7, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I love how Daniel Andrews tries to justify the normalcy of his rules by directly addressing Novak Djokovic despite a number of the top players (mens and womens) being unvaccinated.

No doubt he has some sick belief that the Australian public will get around this, because the media here likes to rip on Djokovic no matter what he does. Love the Australian Open at Melbourne Park but if he is going to bring his politics to world sports - Every reason why we should lose it to NSW.

Romeoh1

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Just take the slam off Melbourne, the top 5 players in the Mens game aren't vaccinated. Melbourne is one of the few places in the world with these mindboggling mandates.
Nope stuff em- they can get the jab, or if they are too stupid to do so, then stay home. Pretty simple really.
ps think you’ll find it’s the fed govt who will enforce this, not like you can just move it to another state. Think you will also find most leagues/sports around the world will go this way. And most of the recalcitrants will probably step up in the end.

Last edited:

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
With NSW opening to international travel this now paves the way for some lead-in action in NSW + Vic. Also means there's a chance Qualifying could be be played in Aus and some Challenger level tournaments for those who don't qualify for AO main draw

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Nope stuff em- they can get the jab, or if they are too stupid to do so, then stay home. Pretty simple really.
ps think you’ll find it’s the fed govt who will enforce this, not like you can just move it to another state. Think you will also find most leagues/sports around the world will go this way. And most of the recalcitrants will probably step up in the end.

They haven't had any issues play the other Grand Slams or multiple tournaments this year. If they're forced to get the jab to compete I just pray none end up like Jeremy Chardy.

defo having an Australian Open in Australia now.

And most tennis players will get the vax or have already got it.

Brett Phillips on his tennis radio show mentioned that potentially the ATP Cup could be entirely played in Sydney.

Would be nice if that's the case.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon

defo having an Australian Open in Australia now.

And most tennis players will get the vax or have already got it.

Not sure how many will decide not to get vaccinated. I don't think Djokovic will. How many of the top 5 men are vaccinated? I don't think tsitsipas is yet, don't know the status of the rest of them.

Would be pretty disastrous to have a few of the top 5 missing from the draw.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Not sure how many will decide not to get vaccinated. I don't think Djokovic will. How many of the top 5 men are vaccinated? I don't think tsitsipas is yet, don't know the status of the rest of them.

Would be pretty disastrous to have a few of the top 5 missing from the draw.

None at the moment.

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
So the Victorian Government has no need to waste money on charter flights - I suspect a number of tennis players like other sports people deferred vaccintions until the end of their season.
TA charters flights for Tennis players, not the Vic government

TA charters flights for Tennis players, not the Vic government

Who do you reckon provides some of TA's budget ? The fact is that with international borders open in Melbourne from November, along with no quarantine then there is no need for charter flights.

Romeoh1

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Is this actually correct? Can I use it on other forums without some w***er correcting me?

Djokovic, Medvedev, Tsitsipas, Zverev, and Nadal?
Nadal will definitely be vaccinated because he isn’t an idiot. The other 4 are all total drongoes but will almost certainly step up and have it. Tsitsipas has virtually said that.

Nadal will definitely be vaccinated because he isn’t an idiot. The other 4 are all total drongoes but will almost certainly step up and have it. Tsitsipas has virtually said that.
Novak won't get vaxxed. And I am glad. It will give someone else a chance to win the Australian Open.

Back