Analysis The Awkward Captaincy Problem

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been saying for ages that Geary is not best 22 anymore but the usual bullies have been hijacking my posts. He is playing his role as a defensive forward these bullies would say. ******* crap. After tonight Geary should not get another game and Bytel should get the next 3 games at least to cement a spot. If he doesn’t cement a spot then drop him and let Byrnes play the final 3 games. Now we will see if Ratten has balls. I suspect he doesn’t and will continue to play Geary. One more thing, if we lose to the Bombers we will not be playing finals this year. And if that happens then I expect Gags and Satan to fall on their own sword and walk because they sold our future for the now and we still can’t even make the top 8.

I have been saying for ages that Geary is not best 22 anymore but the usual bullies have been hijacking my posts. He is playing his role as a defensive forward these bullies would say. ******* crap. After tonight Geary should not get another game and Bytel should get the next 3 games at least to cement a spot. If he doesn’t cement a spot then drop him and let Byrnes play the final 3 games. Now we will see if Ratten has balls. I suspect he doesn’t and will continue to play Geary. One more thing, if we lose to the Bombers we will not be playing finals this year. And if that happens then I expect Gags and Satan to fall on their own sword and walk because they sold our future for the now and we still can’t even make the top 8.
What future did they sell? what an emotional post

Geary was embarrassing against Geelong. 0 kicks, 4 handballs, 0 score involvements and 1 tackle against Stewart who had 19 kicks, 3 handballs, 4 marks, 4 intercepts, 4 score involvements and 6 rebound 50's. Only 2 of his 22 possessions were contested so it's not like Geary was making him earn his touches.

If we want to play a defensive forward let's go with someone like Marsh, Parker or Langlands. I don't think we should carry a 32 year old banged up small forward who averages 7.6 disposals, 1.1 marks, 0.4 goals and 1.8 tackles a game. The club seems intent on getting him to 200 games though.

What knee jerk nonsense is this? Satan will be credited with being the architect of the rise of our club in years to come. The off field team he's built is amazing and will pay dividends, I am 100% certain. Gallagher will be viewed as the best list manager we've had in the modern era. Missing finals for one season won't make that less true.

Pretty clear after last night that Jack Bytel is our captain next year.

Seriously though:

2021 - Steele
2022 - Marshall
2023 - Gresham
2024 - Howard
2025 - Bytel

Rotational captains makes so much sense for this group right now.

Gears deserves to get to 200 games. He deserves to see out the year in the seniors as Captain, and hopefully lead the team into a final. He then deservesa a final one year contract, abdicating the captaincy, with absolutely no guarantee that he'll play seniors next year, ala Brown.

I think Ross will then be captain (unless he is possibly traded) He, Membrey, Wilkie and Billings can hold the fort for a year or two for the likes of Steele, Battle, Jones, Marshall & Howard, if which all can be mentored for those years by the likes of Hanners and Roughie.
Then we'll have a leadership group worthy of their titles.
A boss on every line who can then instill the same code to the likes of King, Paton, Clark, Coff, Bytel.
No vacuums, no nice guys...just leaders.

Geary was embarrassing against Geelong. 0 kicks, 4 handballs, 0 score involvements and 1 tackle against Stewart who had 19 kicks, 3 handballs, 4 marks, 4 intercepts, 4 score involvements and 6 rebound 50's. Only 2 of his 22 possessions were contested so it's not like Geary was making him earn his touches.

If we want to play a defensive forward let's go with someone like Marsh, Parker or Langlands. I don't think we should carry a 32 year old banged up small forward who averages 7.6 disposals, 1.1 marks, 0.4 goals and 1.8 tackles a game. The club seems intent on getting him to 200 games though.
Are these stats correct and did Geary play on Stewart all night , I havent seen the game yet as i was too busy knitting

Are these stats correct and did Geary play on Stewart all night , I havent seen the game yet as i was too busy knitting

Not sure if Geary was on him all night.

I think Long was responsible at stages... At least between stints of manning up Rohan, Duncan, Hawkins, Benny Ainsworth and Izak Rankine.

;)

Pretty clear after last night that Jack Bytel is our captain next year.

Seriously though:

2021 - Steele
2022 - Marshall
2023 - Gresham
2024 - Howard
2025 - Bytel

Rotational captains makes so much sense for this group right now.
Could not think of anyone worse for the captains job than Gresham

What’s Wilkie like behind closed doors? Imo he shows all the signs of an on field leader. It’d be between him or Marshall for me. Bytel looks promising as a captain too but let’s let him establish himself in the 22 for the next few years and develop his game first

Last edited:

What’s Wilkie like behind closed doors? Imo he shows all the signs of an on field leader. It’d be between him or Marshall for me. Bytel looks promising as a captain too but let’s let him establish himself in the 22 for the next few years and develop his game first
Agree 100%. Marshall or Wilkie for me.
wilkie apparently captained his SANFL team before being drafted. So he must have decent leadership qualities

Really?

He was captain as a junior (different I know) and has consistently been one of our better players.

Zak Jones another who I think would bleed for the club.

Really?

He was captain as a junior (different I know) and has consistently been one of our better players.

Zak Jones another who I think would bleed for the club.
He’s just so selfish on field, and even moreso around goals. His kick is a liability. Rather than handballing to a teammate who’s in a better position and a better user, he always decides to take it upon himself, only to kick it as long and high as possible. Needs to lower his eyes and use his teammates more often. To me that is the most selfish act on field. It’s getting to the point where even the missus is cursing him every time he touches the ball.

He’s strong in the contest, agile and finds the footy without any problem, a bit like a young Ablett junior in that regard, but his decisions and disposal need so much work it’s not funny. Also, he’s never really displayed any clear leadership signs on or off the field that I’m aware of.

He’s still a really good player and I have high hopes for him to fulfil his potential, but he really is frustrating because he’s not delivering on what we know he can do.

His decision to take a rushed kick out against GC really summarised his game to me. Had Billings, Coffield, Paton, Wilkie and Carlisle (all of which are far better users and regular kick out takers) in near vicinity yet decided to do it himself, because selfish, and grubbed one 30m along the ground, luckily for us it wasn’t costly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played a few decent shut down games and some real bad ones so far this year.

His back line career is finished with Paton/Long/Coffield taking the small/mid roles and Hunter Clark spending time back as well.

Due to his attack on the ball and being captain Ratts has tried to find a spot for him in the forward line to do some tagging roles with results being polar opposites.

The questions that the coaches need to ask themselves is would a Parker/Lonie/Langlands be better in that spot rather than Geary.

IMO my opinion is that at the moment they would roughly have the same output but with MASSIVE upside in Parker. However due to being Captain he will be selected every game unless injured.

Will struggle to be best 26 next year.

Good servant to the club and put in 110% effort every single week.

Should be proud of the career he has had.

Played a few decent shut down games and some real bad ones so far this year.

His back line career is finished with Paton/Long/Coffield taking the small/mid roles and Hunter Clark spending time back as well.

Due to his attack on the ball and being captain Ratts has tried to find a spot for him in the forward line to do some tagging roles with results being polar opposites.

The questions that the coaches need to ask themselves is would a Parker/Lonie/Langlands be better in that spot rather than Geary.

IMO my opinion is that at the moment they would roughly have the same output but with MASSIVE upside in Parker. However due to being Captain he will be selected every game unless injured.

Will struggle to be best 26 next year.

Good servant to the club and put in 110% effort every single week.

Should be proud of the career he has had.

Wow an opinion that its your opinion. :p That sounds about as sure as a set kick from Gresham going through the goals.

I know what you mean though. Sometimes if you can reverse tag its a great strategy, but you like to be able to hurt the other way too.
Geary went OK last week in both aspects, but this week not so successful.
Not sure either of Langlands or Lonie would be so successful defensively, though Lonie does generally provide good pressure in the 50.

Gears deserves to get to 200 games. He deserves to see out the year in the seniors as Captain, and hopefully lead the team into a final. He then deservesa a final one year contract, abdicating the captaincy, with absolutely no guarantee that he'll play seniors next year, ala Brown.

I think Ross will then be captain (unless he is possibly traded) He, Membrey, Wilkie and Billings can hold the fort for a year or two for the likes of Steele, Battle, Jones, Marshall & Howard, if which all can be mentored for those years by the likes of Hanners and Roughie.
Then we'll have a leadership group worthy of their titles.
A boss on every line who can then instill the same code to the likes of King, Paton, Clark, Coff, Bytel.
No vacuums, no nice guys...just leaders.
And this is the stupid ****ed up warp thinking that has rewarded this club 27 WOODEN SPOONS AND BROUGHT THE CLUB TO THE BRINK OF BANKRUPTCY. FARKEN HELL.

Since playing as a small forward:

Kicks: 1, 4, 4, 5, 4, 1, 0
Goals: 0, 2, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0
Tackles: 1, 2, 1, 2, 0, 4, 1
Goal assists: 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0
I 50s: 0, 1, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0

Outside the Dogs game (shut down JJ almost as well as Newnes did last year) and the Blues game (2 goals in the first quarter), I think you could genuinely make the argument we are playing with 21 most weeks. People say it looked like Geelong had extra players out there. Well for 84% of game time last night they effectively did.

Bytel's game last night was probably the final nail in the coffin for Gears. Kid just needs to play games after that showing.

Gears is on 196 games. Lets 'manage' him for the two weeks that we require our strongest line-up, get him to 200 with dignity, and draw a line under this era.

We know he is done. He will know it too. Club is just trying to manage the last few games as respectfully as possible

Last edited:
Wow an opinion that its your opinion. :p That sounds about as sure as a set kick from Gresham going through the goals.

I know what you mean though. Sometimes if you can reverse tag its a great strategy, but you like to be able to hurt the other way too.
Geary went OK last week in both aspects, but this week not so successful.
Not sure either of Langlands or Lonie would be so successful defensively, though Lonie does generally provide good pressure in the 50.

Langlands from my memory last year was fantastic with his pressure. His speed and tackling are his best assets. Can also kick a goal.

I know there is pressure for spots however i would love to know why he is being overlooked.

Langlands from my memory last year was fantastic with his pressure. His speed and tackling are his best assets. Can also kick a goal.

I know there is pressure for spots however i would love to know why he is being overlooked.
I'll tell you why he is being overlooked, it's because our loser mentality means we are trying to get Geary to 200 games. At the expense of not just missing the finals but also denying our excellent youth valuable game time.

Like I said earlier, this week is the ultimate test for Ratts. Has he got the balls to go to Geary and tell him that he is (unfortunately), no longer in our best 22? If he has then great. If he hasn't then we are no better off than we were last year. Which is why I have been saying all along that Banger Harvey should have got the job and Gags and Satan have stuffed us up for another 5 years. But at the same time done enough to keep their cushy jobs.

Billings to be captain I think all the younger up and coming boys really rate him as a great club man steal to be vc and start to bring Hunter Coff paton butler in to the leader ship group i think after a couple of seasons king and that over sized oompa loompa will be running thing

Gears probably should not have played against the Cats - but I would keep him this week to do a job on Saad. This is the type of player he needs to lock down on, possibly Witherden the week after.

We will get him to 200 - they wont be gifted, but he will get there.

Gears probably should not have played against the Cats - but I would keep him this week to do a job on Saad. This is the type of player he needs to lock down on, possibly Witherden the week after.

We will get him to 200 - they wont be gifted, but he will get there.

Saad is so quick Geary couldn't get near him. I'd rather play Hind on him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back