Analysis The Awkward Captaincy Problem

Remove this Banner Ad

The other strange thing to consider is that our drafting and trading had -i believe- leadership qualities as a key criteria.

Newnes
Mav
Longer
Dunstan
Paddy
Billings

All drafted as underage captains iirc.

Where is the leadership? It's seriously lacking on game day, that is certain.
Not sure if Newnes.Mav,paddy and Billings were captains but I agree with your point .
Long ,Gresham,Coffield were

Yeah he has as starting position for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whats named on the AFL website and what he actually lines up at are two different things. Im not saying 100% but I cant recall once where he actually started any centre bounce on the wing. Certainly not with any consistency to be the one pushing Sinclair out of the g ame.

They weren't really players, let alone captains! Yet inexplicably led their teams to the holy grail.
They got them there and that’s all that matters in the end! I’d be stoked for Geary to be a premiership captain, I couldn’t give a s**t who was our next premiership captain actually, just as long as we have one whilst I’m still orbiting the sun!

Whats named on the AFL website and what he actually lines up at are two different things. Im not saying 100% but I cant recall once where he actually started any centre bounce on the wing. Certainly not with any consistency to be the one pushing Sinclair out of the g ame.

I didn’t say on paper buddy I said in a starting position (meaning at a centre bounce) but not for long periods of the game...

Anyway, doesn’t matter - he’s a top bloke but not captain material and I think he’d be the first to admit it.

Who was ready last year to be captain instead though?

Newnes?

Don’t think so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They got them there and that’s all that matters in the end! I’d be stoked for Geary to be a premiership captain, I couldn’t give a s**t who was our next premiership captain actually, just as long as we have one whilst I’m still orbiting the sun!
Amen brother!

when roo retired guys , who else in the playing group .would you had ???????????????
at the time ( short period ) Geary is the Ans. not soft utensil like carlton capt
agree should be rolling further up the field, but the way we are going . all the play is in the back half anyway

What’s funny? Care to have a discussion rather than just reply with ‘lol’. Pretty poor from an in waiting Mod.
Nah can't be bothered, cheers though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Captaincy is not our problem.
Captaincy is irrelevant irrelevant on game day other than the coin toss.
Captains are the players main spokesperson.
Geary is a good captain.

Our problem is on feild leadership, which needs to come from more than one person.
We have a few good leaders in the backline.
We lack it in the forward half and especially midfeild.

Maybe Dunstan or another will step up and take responsibility?
Got till the end of the year to stake a claim.

If things haven't changed we need to go buy Sloane, or another mid.

Maybe not quite settled enough in the side for captain but Dunstan is one of very very few that shows a bit of fire and passion week to week. He gave Jetta a few sprays when he took a Hogan-esque dive trying to overturn a free. Little things like that I think a captain is required to do.

Gears doesn't seem to do much of this. Second term when melbourne were allowed to take a soft mark on the goal line centre it to an unmarked Jones... gears only asked the boundary umpire it it was over. Here was the perfect play highlighting our complete lack of defensive organisation and our skipper had nothing to say to the team.

Sitting a few rows back and watching it all unfold was rather depressing

Who was ready last year to be captain instead though?

Newnes?

Don’t think so...
It's funny how things change.

Only 3-4 years ago Newnes was widely being touted as our next probable captain when Roo eventually retired.

Back then....you looked down the list and his name jumped out......just about everyone I know thought this would be the case.

It's funny how things change.

Only 3-4 years ago Newnes was widely being touted as our next probable captain when Roo eventually retired.

Back then....you looked down the list and his name jumped out......just about everyone I know thought this would be the case.

Yep, I held him in high regard. He's gone soft now though. Doesn't seem to want to get dirty and do the hard stuff.

Not saying Geary should go, but hypothetically, if he became unavailable for the rest of the year I would take a punt and give it to Dunstan.

In reality, no single person currently on our list stands out.

But at the moment, Dunston appears to be the only other option in terms of someone who may be capable of handling the job and whose form is sufficient to consistently warrant selection.

Can't see why we don't just go the co-captain rout. Gears and Spook, with Snake and Ross maybe as assistants.
Course, the captaincy aught be dangled in front of Sloane, in which case Gears just moves aside. (C) Sloane, (A)Dunstan + Snake, I'd be super happy with.

Not saying Geary should go, but hypothetically, if he became unavailable for the rest of the year I would take a punt and give it to Dunstan.

In reality, no single person currently on our list stands out.

But at the moment, Dunston appears to be the only other option in terms of someone who may be capable of handling the job and whose form is sufficient to consistently warrant selection.
He leads by example.
One of few amongst our mids and half fwds who doesn't seem to drop his head at any stage and keeps fighting.
But right now he doesnt seem to have the players following him.
Maybe it will come.
Maybe he needs that label to feel he has authority to demand more of his peers?

I thought that was sort of a captains goal he kicked in the 3rd against melb, that could have been a tide turner..
But no-one got around him?
I assume hes liked, might just need to get more vocal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back