Analysis The Awkward Captaincy Problem

Remove this Banner Ad

BJ is out of contact.
Bring him back.
Not appreciated over there, soft campaigners dont like being yelled at.
I think a few our mids need someone to yell at them. And i think they could handle it, and respond.
Carlisle is my choice a little left field but has presence on the field & fairly reliable.

I'd be for both of these moves. Maybe I just like campaigners that get under the skin of te opposition and their supporters.

One of the problems with Geary is that he has a very limited capacity to produce team lifting moments in games. He is very unlikely to kick a clutch goal (Tex and many others), take a big important mark (Roo), or monster the stoppages (Selwood). His best hope is an inspiring bone crunching tackle, and that hasn't happened for some time.

I don't think it's a compulsory requirement of a captain, but it sure does help drag a team with you.

Carlisle is my choice a little left field but has presence on the field & fairly reliable.

Felt the same way after about the third game of this year. Like the way he plays and I like that he cares.

Plus he's huge and has long arms so he can point at lazy blokes all day and make it clear they're not doing what they should be.

Geary is a spud on field. I've been saying from day one, he must be a hell of a guy off field.

Felt the same way after about the third game of this year. Like the way he plays and I like that he cares.

Plus he's huge and has long arms so he can point at lazy blokes all day and make it clear they're not doing what they should be.

Geary is a spud on field. I've been saying from day one, he must be a hell of a guy off field.
u mean the umps? he's pretty good at that. and fair enough, i reckon he'd really grow into the role if he was capn

One of the problems with Geary is that he has a very limited capacity to produce team lifting moments in games. He is very unlikely to kick a clutch goal (Tex and many others), take a big important mark (Roo), or monster the stoppages (Selwood). His best hope is an inspiring bone crunching tackle, and that hasn't happened for some time.

I don't think it's a compulsory requirement of a captain, but it sure does help drag a team with you.

What he does provide is the ability, indeed the knack, of turning the ball over regularly and watching it sail straight over his head for a goal while in the corner of his eye he can just catch Giblet lying prostrate on the ground having tripped over a blade of grass. Good to have that experience in the backline. Obviously inspires his team mates.

Surely we only have one option and that is Seb Ross. I cant think of any other player at the moment.
He looks the next skipper at this stage, but plenty still to play out.

I think Geary is the clear current captain though, for a little while too still. He isn't perfect but he's supposedly clearly the guy internally and plays with everything he's got. People will question everything when the team is going how it is at the moment.

BJ is out of contact.
Bring him back.
Not appreciated over there, soft campaigners dont like being yelled at.
I think a few our mids need someone to yell at them. And i think they could handle it, and respond.
Worse ideas floated.

He and Freeman can have a point off.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

interesting to see the player BJ abused for not running hard enough to pick up a defender is now out with OP. pretty poor form. BJ would know what team mates are under duress. to then start flaming players who aren't 100% because you're lost in the moment in a game is not good.

interesting to see the player BJ abused for not running hard enough to pick up a defender is now out with OP. pretty poor form. BJ would know what team mates are under duress. to then start flaming players who aren't 100% because you're lost in the moment in a game is not good.
I believe Daniher has OP as much as I believe Hird is innocent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

utter bullshit ... even if he does have OP once you cross that line you are fit to play end of story if you cant run after your player then dont put your hand up for selection simple as that ... BJ went to that club to play in a flag and he knows first hand the drive you need and the pushing through pain needed to reach that level half hearted jogs wont do that.. BJ was well in his right to give the spray

What are you thinking?
“Managed” due to poor form - poster boy of the club needs time off. I do think he isn’t quite right but there’s no way a senior player in BJ goes coco bananas like he has and not know the FF has OP.
Club has rehashed a convenient excuse in my book.
Not my circus or my monkeys so I’m not investing too much time on the matter.

Not saying he's perfect ,but we have no-one better suited.

Carlise, has the playing ability but his history is not suitable for a captain. ( a former Essendon player would stain the club's reputation).
Webster. Not sure. He seems to be one of the first picked each week ,but not quite at the level yet.
Gilbert. On field doubts as per Geary, off field doubts as per Carlisle.
Savage. He's someone who gets dropped for form more often then Geary ever will.
Newnes. Not quite up to the standard.
Dunstan and Acres, not yet.
Membrey? Bruce?

Best alternative: Ross. I wouldn't complain about that.

utter bullshit ... even if he does have OP once you cross that line you are fit to play end of story if you cant run after your player then dont put your hand up for selection simple as that ... BJ went to that club to play in a flag and he knows first hand the drive you need and the pushing through pain needed to reach that level half hearted jogs wont do that.. BJ was well in his right to give the spray

you're assuming he decides if he plays or not. i don't think that's how it works. OP is a serious condition, it doesn't just appear over night. its a fatigue related injury that develops over time. how do you know he didn't say he wasn't 100% and wasn't honest how he was feeling? the implication you are making is that either Daniher lied about how he was feeling or that it wasn't present and suddenly a couple weeks later he has OP (unlikely).

for all we know we could have been open with the doctor and by extension the selection committee on how he feels, but for the betterment of the club they decided he should play. which happens a lot. a 60% daniher is significantly better than their next option. clubs are known to play crucial players under-done but they restructure slightly to support them and put in place strategies to for lack of a better term "nurse them through it". so what you would do with a tall forward is expect him to present as an option but you would understand if he wasn't applying defencive pressure with an injury like that.

here's the thing though, goddard in that game was a case of "do as i say, dont do as i do", for all his public blasting of daniher not picking up a man. goddard only had 2 more tackles and 4 more pressure acts than daniher. despite the fact goddard is a running defender, who cant win a contested possession. daniher had 2 more. despite goddard being a running defender he doesnt show up anywhere in the top performed runners in defence or attack or repeat sprints. goddard also failed to lay a tackle inside 50.

now here's the thing. the issue wasn't the tackle count for essendon on the day. it was contested possession. the got absolutely smashed around the ground on it, -24. plus turn over -12.

Last edited:
you're assuming he decides if he plays or not. i don't think that's how it works. OP is a serious condition, it doesn't just appear over night. its a fatigue related injury that develops over time. how do you know he didn't say he wasn't 100% and wasn't honest how he was feeling? the implication you are making is that either Daniher lied about how he was feeling or that it wasn't present and suddenly a couple weeks later he has OP (unlikely).

for all we know we could have been open with the doctor and by extension the selection committee on how he feels, but for the betterment of the club they decided he should play. which happens a lot. a 60% daniher is significantly better than their next option. clubs are known to play crucial players under-done but they restructure slightly to support them and put in place strategies to for lack of a better term "nurse them through it". so what you would do with a tall forward is expect him to present as an option but you would understand if he wasn't applying defencive pressure with an injury like that.

here's the thing though, goddard in that game was a case of "do as i say, dont do as i do", for all his public blasting of daniher not picking up a man. goddard only had 2 more tackles and 4 more pressure acts than daniher. despite the fact goddard is a running defender, who cant win a contested possession. daniher had 2 more. despite goddard being a running defender he doesnt show up anywhere in the top performed runners in defence or attack or repeat sprints. goddard also failed to lay a tackle inside 50.

now here's the thing. the issue wasn't the tackle count for essendon on the day. it was contested possession. the got absolutely smashed around the ground on it, -24. plus turn over -12.
again the club picked him if he is under done then its his job to tell the club he is under done look at Presi who put his hand up he wasnt right and missed a g/f cause he knew he couldnt give his all .. Joe was obviously cleared fit the OP didnt stop him in the first qtr nor did it stop him running towards goal Goddards spray was about getting back on his man the other way clear sign Joe wasnt prepared to work hard enough .. he might have the OP but running hard towards a goal wasnt his issue so maybe the OP is only effecting his defensive running ...
as for goddards role no one and i mean no one is going to be more dirty on BJ for a poor performance the BJ is he is possibly the most critical of his own preformance then anyone .. its easy to look at how BJ sprays his teammates and draw the conclusion that he thinks he is better then them but the truth is he is as harsh (or even harsher) towards himself but cameras cant catch him berating himself internally ...

He leads by example.
One of few amongst our mids and half fwds who doesn't seem to drop his head at any stage and keeps fighting.
But right now he doesnt seem to have the players following him.
Maybe it will come.
Maybe he needs that label to feel he has authority to demand more of his peers?

I thought that was sort of a captains goal he kicked in the 3rd against melb, that could have been a tide turner..
But no-one got around him?
I assume hes liked, might just need to get more vocal?

Dunstan is not an option. He's just as likely to have a form slump and get dropped.
Ross is a far more viable option than Dunstan.

Dunstan is not an option. He's just as likely to have a form slump and get dropped.
Ross is a far more viable option than Dunstan.
He has been one of our best since the bye last Year.
Down game against hawks and made to play vfl in round 1 for 'team balance'.
Only 23 and still improving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back