The AXE vs Adelaide - IN: Bennell, Tomlinson, AVB, ANB. OUT: Hannan, TMac, OMac, Pickett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys,

Not here to kick you when you're down, but I did want to ask, is there something bigger going on at the club since 2018?

A notable shift in mentality, but I do also think that players are being kept in at the expense of team cohesion.

I think the biggest example of this, is Brayshaw. Phenomenal 2018, but cannot hit a target, doesn't run the same, and provides nothing of substance at the moment. This in turn has pushed Harmes out, who was an excellent run with player, in the back half of 2018. Was pretty solid through the mids in 2019, whilst everyone else faltered.

Langdon is another, who provides dash but terrible foot disposal. Fritsch seems better coming out of defence than up forward, but he's made his way back down there after a decent stint in the backline.

There's also the issue of culture, with a fair few players coming from other clubs over a short period. When you have an established core it works, but when you don't, you end up with a bunch of players coming in not really sure who to follow or what standard to live up to.

Trac has been a shining light this year, as has Pickett (in bursts - but a lot to work with there). I know you're trying to give Jackson games, but he definitely needs more time as he's still very raw.

There's also some players, that just shouldn't be playing anymore - Jones, Lockhart, O. Macdonald, Sparrow, Hannan, are all fringe players, and offer nothing special. I'd be looking to inject some speed or composure - Oskar Baker looked good in his few games, as did Joel Smith and Marty Hore down back. Loved the look of Rivers too.

I think Lever is just not up to standard right now, and should be dropped as a bit of a statement - given the massive price you paid for him.

Viney, while not the greatest speaker, haha, is probably your fiercest warrior, and should be given the co-captaincy back. Max leads through example, but Viney is a guy like Cotchin, Selwood, Cripps, Fyfe etc. who just takes their team to another level with their ferocity in the contest.

I also think it's strange that you're not playing Tomlinson, when he has such good disposal and can play that back up ruck role to aplomb - allows T McDonald to stay out of the ruck.

If I was Goodwin, I'd make a huge statement, and go for a completely different side next week against Adelaide, like this one:

OUT: Brayshaw, Lever, Jones, Hannan, Lockhart, O McDonald, Sparrow, Jackson

IN: Tomlinson, Baker, Hore, Smith, Bennell, VandenBerg, Rivers, Jetta

Would then place Salem back in the centre/wing, kick out Brayshaw, keep Fritsch down back, keep Langdon on one wing rotating with Tomlinson and Salem, and run Oskar Baker from half forward with Bennell on the other side.

Should look like this:

B: Hore, May, Jetta
HB: Hibberd, Smith, Fritsch
C: Salem, Harmes, Tomlinson
FO: Gawn, Petracca, Oliver
HF: Baker, T. McDonald, Bennell
F: Pickett, Weidemann, Melksham
INT: Viney, Langdon, VandenBerg, Rivers

Just my two cents anyway, but I think you guys need to make a big statement and choose team performance over gifting games to players that aren't earning them - just because of potential. At the very least, the team that I've hypothesized has a few different dynamics, rather than just a focus on one or two areas of need. Who knows though, I'm not getting paid a mil a year for this like Goodwin is, haha

Pickett needs to be punted, he is awful. We blew a 1st round pick on a 3rd round talent!

Him being drafted by MFC is the worst thing that could have happened to him. He is not ready and is stuck at a club that cannot develop talent. Trading him anywhere else would be a mercy.

Jackson also isn't ready. I am not expecting him to throw his weight around yet since he is still physically developing, but he is also at the point where he has not learned that he is bigger than almost everyone else on the ground and should be doing more to impose himself around contests. He's soft, I am getting major Jack Watts vibes!

Tmac also needs to be dropped, he has not played a good game since 2018. Why are we persisting with him? He does not have it in him to be the #1 KPF. He is no longer the best footballer in his family.

Oliver needs a spell in the magoos until he improves his kicking and decision making (never!), it also gives a chance to showcase Brayshaw in his preferred position for a few weeks.

Pickett a 3rd round talent? Jackson soft? FMD can we just punt this campaigner from the board TheCount ? Literally hasn't said a positive thing about the club since he started posting.

Pickett a 3rd round talent? Jackson soft? FMD can we just punt this campaigner from the board TheCount ? Literally hasn't said a positive thing about the club since he started posting.
To be fair if the criteria to being able to stay is you have to post positive things we are all ****ed, I think his assessment of Jackson and Pickett is harsh to say the least but might as well shut it down now if it has to rainbows and Warm hugs all the time.

To be fair if the criteria to being able to stay is you have to post positive things we are all f’ed, I think his assessment of Jackson and Pickett is harsh to say the least but might as well shut it down now if it has to rainbows and Warm hugs all the time.
couldn't sneak pick 6/May into your post?

To be fair if the criteria to being able to stay is you have to post positive things we are all f’ed, I think his assessment of Jackson and Pickett is harsh to say the least but might as well shut it down now if it has to rainbows and Warm hugs all the time.

Even HANDSOLO is occasionally positive. Old mate just pots the club 24/7, don't think he actually supports us.

Even HANDSOLO is occasionally positive. Old mate just pots the club 24/7, don't think he actually supports us.

Can I get a: - HANDSOLO’s occasional positivity is about inline with the amount of positive stuff the Demons dish up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mate that’s the least of the reasons and the list is long!:D
im just a ******* bogan. would never get on that s**t seen enough bullshit with my old boy owning a hock shop growing up. The amount of mates who got ****ed on it is mental but not me sir. Plus my daughter needs her daddy to spoil her. do love a good binge drink on the weekend and if coke is going around then no wakkas but you mob can get ****ed with the crackhead calls🤣🤣

I’d put games into Pickett and Jackson and back them in. Okay they are no Bailey Smith but Bulldogs played him and backed him in last year and look at him now. MFC are much like the NFL, a guy makes a good play or has a good game and he seems to be safe for a while regardless. We can’t keep doing this stuff - if the players are not ruthless at least MFC needs to toughen up. Oliver, Harmes , Brayshaw , TMac, Salem and many more are not as good as they think they are. Drop them. And don’t let them back in until they deserve it. None of this one week out and then back into the firsts bulls&&t. I still think the backline can be okay - it is the midfield and forward line really letting us down . Don’t blame the backs when the opposition is scoring and the centre line and onballers are playing with their di*ks and spectating from the centre.

Where's Petty at? I'd have him at FF with Weid roaming CHF and wings moving forward. TMac is done. Either he plays defence or gets traded. Jackson is raw, but he should simply play back up to Gawn on limited mins.

We won’t play that bad again
I would love to think you are right but last night was so disappointing.
I think it is time our coaches suggested that kicking it on our forwards heads or over their heads is not something that will work while there is gravity on the planet.
I don't know how supposedly quality midfielders can miss a target player by meters when they are not even under pressure.
While dramatic changes are called for I think some things do need to go back to basics eg T Mac to the backline until he finds some form.
The highlight last night was May for the first time this season not kicking out to his left with a half arsed kick. As someone who lived in Queensland and went to Suns games I still don't how Melbourne were fooled into him, he is really hard on everyone bar himself.
Brayshaw looks like he is playing blindfolded with only one leg.
Worst game I have seen Salem play but maybe it is the hamstring issues he has.
I don't know what is happening with Oliver, how can a 'quality mid' go at 50-60% kicking efficiency?
How can a midfield that is being fed by Gawn get beaten so comprehensively in the clearances?
I would be bringing back Bennell but realise that he can deliver the ball but he is not the answer.
I would also have Vandenberg back if he is fit.
I would be having Weideman at CHF and even consider Pruess out of the goal square - if Melbourne continue to kick it on the forwards heads he might have a chance of getting it or bringing it to ground.
Need to bring Tomlinson back and I would consider Dunkley too.
Frankly I think that we could make 7-8 changes and still not fix the problems but we can't continue to dish up the rubbish we did last night.

We'll probably beat Adelaide, but it'll be like our game against Gold Coast last season where nobody was really the winner.

OUT: Tmac, Salem, Harmes.

IN: I really don't know.

FWIW I think Pickett and Jackson will both eventually develop into good players. Playing them both in the same side right now is not helping the team, our foward line is not talented enough to carry them.

Pickett makes dumb decisions and is always kicking the ball off of the side of his boot. The only "impact" he has on games is waving teammates off the mark -_- he is not ready for AFL level

Jackson does some nice things, but he is lost out there. I feel he is more naturally gifted than Pickett and he seems to be improving each week at least.

I've been saying this for a while and I'll say it again - play players in their best positions. Don't play Harmes at half back when he is best as a midfield tagger. Don't play Brayshaw back or on a wing when he is an inside mid. Don't play Jones who is past it, full stop. Don't play sparrow as whatever he was when he is an inside mid. Don't play TMac forward when he was always a good defender.
Those four I mention I'd actually drop at the moment, but just saying they are played out of position and are clearly bad at the roles they are being asked to play.
Now who to bring in:
Tomlinson, didn't do anything wrong to get dropped
Bennell
Rivers (or Hore if fit)
Bedford (know nothing about him but everyone else here likes him and I don't want a Wagner)

Oh and biggest out: Goodwin

There always had to be a team to lose to the crows this year.

Did anyone really even consider another club other than us?
It's a ticking time bomb but Essendon supporters were worried. Adelaide have been ok recently were in it against the saints just didn't know how to win same with Essendon. They're getting closer. We can only hope they come out flat with a shorter break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back