The AXE vs Adelaide - IN: Bennell, Tomlinson, AVB, ANB. OUT: Hannan, TMac, OMac, Pickett.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Pruess is out of the team because he needs to work on his inside game, so hopefully he gets an extended run soon as a midfielder. This will give us the opportunity to move Petracca to half back to utilise his kicking skills, and we'll finally be able to drop Weid and let him languish in the reserves for the rest of the year. That means we can play TMac deep as the lone key forward again, where we'll keep bombing the ball to the top of the goal square and give him the chance to compete against four opponents, with ANB and Spargo at his feet to sweep up the crumbs. From there we only need to make a few tweaks to the defence, like finally giving Lever the chance to play his natural role as a one-out KPD with Smith playing the role as interceptor, and I think we might be back in business.
But we don't want ANB and Spargo at the drop off the ball. They need to push up to the contest to be the extra men around the ball, just in case we look like we might not win that inside contest.

Terrible gameplan and positional selection aside, i think they stuffed up the philosophy of limiting changes in order to get some synergy going.

The team was super flat, not because of day less of a break, but because players have been living footy and playing so often. In hindsight i think we have a fit list and we should be trying to infuse some youthful enthusiasm into the team and have a few more fringe players playing for their careers out there.

Goodwin's comments on Brayshaw exemplify the philosophy of backing the best 22 players in regardless of form and expecting things to turn around for basically no reason. Hope that change this week.

We need good ball users coming in. Tomlinson, Bennell and Rivers for Harmes, Jones and Sparrow
Wouldn't mind seeing Jordan come in as well, maybe for TMac. Tomlinson is no good by foot but at least presents a good transition option. Can't carry him, TMac, Jackson and Weid though. Brayshaw I'd keep ahead of Harmes if only for the fact that he's theoretically a good user. Harmes has never been good by foot.

Ultimately this game can either tell us a whole lot...or absolutely nothing.

If we win, that's a bare minimum pass mark that tells us nothing about where we're at.

If we lose however...we're a confirmed basket case.

If Max isn't playing, I'll go with:

Out: Gawn, TMac, Harmes, Brayshaw (there were worse but he's been on the chopping block for weeks), Pickett
In: ANB, Tomlinson, Hunt, Bennell, Rivers

Jackson to ruck, Tomlinson can cover the back half and Weid the front half.

Kossie's impact on games is diminishing by the week, time for a rest.

Give 2 inside players being played out of position a spell and bring in some actual outside players to play that role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harmes has been much more dangerous by foot than Brayshaw at his best.

Yes, dangerous to the spectators in row z on the wing. Got to watch out when he has the ball in hand, could end up with a beer full of sherrin.

Preuss to replace Max. Takes centre ruck then casual stroll down to take forward line ruck, pack crashing and 1 goal so he doesn’t run out of puff. (Good luck with that)

Jackson to ruck around the ground, the midfielder ruck emerges! (try to forget he is an underdone kid just starting out)

Tomlinson to help with backline rucking duties as well as defensive winger (could be TMac instead but that would involve turning which could present problems)

All kick outs to involve initial 20m run from square followed by 50m+ kick down the centre to running mids. (who may actually be running in ever diminishing, haphazard circles elsewhere on the ground)

Terrible gameplan and positional selection aside, i think they stuffed up the philosophy of limiting changes in order to get some synergy going.

The team was super flat, not because of day less of a break, but because players have been living footy and playing so often. In hindsight i think we have a fit list and we should be trying to infuse some youthful enthusiasm into the team and have a few more fringe players playing for their careers out there.

Goodwin's comments on Brayshaw exemplify the philosophy of backing the best 22 players in regardless of form and expecting things to turn around for basically no reason. Hope that change this week.
DJPD,

You consistently have the best analysis on this board.

How do you feel about becoming coach of an AFL side?

The players have copped it as bad as I can recall (since before the good coast game 3 weeks ago anyway, and maybe back after Carlton game prior)

Really interested to see more effort and what that entails.

My prediction:
1- handballing the footy even faster to an unexpecting team mate, causing a fumble/turnover/htb.
2- kicking the ball higher and farther than previous week's.
3- more defenders flying through the air, trying to spoil the ball (4 is the record but I'm expecting to see 5 maybe even 6)
4- one moderately talented Adelaide player win a rising star nomination
5- goal kicking accuracy to look like π or maybe even less.
6- same for efficiency from inside 50s
7- at least two moderately paced midfielders from Melbourne played out of position where a slightly above average paced midfielder would suffice.
8- around 100% of our kick outs going long to the left half back flank where our ruckman may or may not have several opponents to beat.
9- potentially 88% of our forward 50 entries going to a player under 185cm tall whilst standing still, also with several opponents to beat.
And finally 10- at least 15 players break their FPKPI
(Finger pointing key performance indicators)

Adelaide by 20.

The players have copped it as bad as I can recall (since before the good coast game 3 weeks ago anyway, and maybe back after Carlton game prior)

Really interested to see more effort and what that entails.

My prediction:
1- handballing the footy even faster to an unexpecting team mate, causing a fumble/turnover/htb.
2- kicking the ball higher and farther than previous week's.
3- more defenders flying through the air, trying to spoil the ball (4 is the record but I'm expecting to see 5 maybe even 6)
4- one moderately talented Adelaide player win a rising star nomination
5- goal kicking accuracy to look like π or maybe even less.
6- same for efficiency from inside 50s
7- at least two moderately paced midfielders from Melbourne played out of position where a slightly above average paced midfielder would suffice.
8- around 100% of our kick outs going long to the left half back flank where our ruckman may or may not have several opponents to beat.
9- potentially 88% of our forward 50 entries going to a player under 185cm tall whilst standing still, also with several opponents to beat.
And finally 10- at least 15 players break their FPKPI
(Finger pointing key performance indicators)

Adelaide by 20.
Ah, the General Haig plan....

Cheers SackLunch.

You have one of the best user names on the board, although Chunnel is my personal fave Seinfeld movie.
Sack lunch sounds like a movie Dwayne Johnson would make if it was real life. The chess player in me is intrigued by checkmate. Not a big fan of action so don't think I want to watch death blow.

Are you are Vincent or gene man??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back