MatthewB

fair call mate but we are still alive in the quady
Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants
I wasn't allowed to sleep on the top bunk when I was a kid because mum didn't want to make the bed

Lethality

Most successful team in your lifetime
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark.Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds.

Last edited:

MatthewB

fair call mate but we are still alive in the quady
Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants
My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark.Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds.
dr-evil-right.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Mum's pretty narcissistic and passed on a bunch of unhealthy traits to me that I'm still trying to unlearn

Dad was an awesome guy, but he indulged mum's behaviour too much and as a result she's gone off the reservation a bit since he died

Lethality

Most successful team in your lifetime
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Dad would mostly rant for hours, but that was interspersed with beatings or he would break stuff. When he was calm he would regularly put me down verbally, some times in front of others.

Mum was impatient with everything, including of my mental problems, and as a result would make things worse. One time she held me at gunpoint and threatened to blow my head off. She would also put me down but in a more vigorous, and vulgar manner including claims that I was impotent.

Both my parents were OK like 90-99% of the time, but there was always the knowledge that things could go sideways very quickly.
These days everything is fine, although Dad continues to be negative.

Hawk Dork

Hall of Famer
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Both my parents were good
Mum was close to perfect,dad would work massive hours and still come home after a long shift on Saturday afternoon and take us to the last half of the footy if it was on at Glenferrie oval or during the week in Summer to the beach or a swim in the Yarra or local pool.

Both never saw me play footy though

daniologist

trainee
Sep 22, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Pohang Steelers
They don't really believe ADHD is a thing. My kid is diagnosed, medicated and regularly treated by a psychiatrist, but somehow... it's not real because no-one had it when they were kids or when I was a kid.

Moonwatcher

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Both my parents were good
Mum was close to perfect,dad would work massive hours and still come home after a long shift on Saturday afternoon and take us to the last half of the footy if it was on at Glenferrie oval or during the week in Summer to the beach or a swim in the Yarra or local pool.

Both never saw me play footy though
Let us broken people have our thread :p

Last edited:

Kwality

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
When did things go bad?

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Mum and Dad divorced when I was 6. Went to live with Dad. He was wierd, controlling and emotionally abusive. Mum was a alcoholic narcissist who didn’t give me the time of day.

Currently in therapy.
Join the club.

My parents divorced when I was around 14, it was actually a relief when they did as they used to fight so much when I was growing up that I couldn't even understand why they even got together in the first place.

I think they only stayed together for us kids but they didn't do us any favours by fighting all the time, it's quite traumatic hearing your parents fight.

I wasn't the only one at my high school that had divorced parents either, most of my mates had divorced parents too, the guys that still had happily married parents at my high school were the odd ones out.

Last edited:

Kwality

Hall of Famer
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
They don't really believe ADHD is a thing. My kid is diagnosed, medicated and regularly treated by a psychiatrist, but somehow... it's not real because no-one had it when they were kids or when I was a kid.
Dealing with drugs was the toughest part of parenting. Its far more common than when I was a kid & I preferred grog to drugs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad