The bitch about your parents thread.

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
My father was a campaigner. But being a kid, I didn't know that, and thought all dads were like mine. So I loved him without knowing why. He died when I was 18. That was 40 years ago and I still have him hanging over my shoulder.

I guess my mum had her own problems dealing with him but it resulted in me being neglected and I've never been close to her. Which I regret and I still get annoyed sometimes when she rings and I don't want to talk. It's only the last couple of years that I've said "love you" before hanging up but its more out of politeness and I don't want to upset her.

And when all the kids were having coco pops and milo and ovaltine she bought me... ******* Aktavite.

Mum was always great, and I thought dad was a campaigner growing up. He was a bit at the time, he had a hard time understanding my interests and personality. We ended up bonding over North as I got a bit older and he's one of my best mates now.

Mum was always great, and I thought dad was a campaigner growing up. He was a bit at the time, he had a hard time understanding my interests and personality. We ended up bonding over North as I got a bit older and he's one of my best mates now.
It depends what day of the week is whether my old man and I are on good terms. I think ten years is our record for not talking.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ive been estranged from my mum and stepdad for 10 years now (they were absolutely toxic, physically and emotionally abusive alcoholics when i was growing up).

There is much to be said for removing the guilt of cutting family from your life. I have never been more mentally healthy and happy than not having them to deal with.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
The older I've got the luckier I realise I am with the folks I lucked out with - always been supportive, never put undue pressure on myself or brother to live up to any kind of stupid societal expectations, and best of all I've lived interstate to them both for over a decade (Dad in SA, Mum in Qld) so I never deal with that monotonous every day stuff with them and if I do see them it's normally a holiday or event situation so it's always good vibes

Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants
my wife's mum has cut her out of her life, which means her dad has cut her out of his life, my wife only recently told me her mum would send her nasty messages every now and then, no idea what was in them, but have a fair idea, mil is drinking a lot more and can be nastier when drunk, good thing we dont see them, feel sorry for her sister who still lives at home

Mar 29, 2007
Rand McNally
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
To those who had poor parental role models I feel for you, try not to pass on tot he next generation.
For me me dad died when I was young and mum my grandmother raised me and my siblings as best as they could, she worked long hours.

What’s sucked, im now somewhat distant and not very good and showing emotions, but lucky have understanding partner who understands this and some how still loves me.

What was good, by 16 I did my own washing, cleaning and was able to cook my own dinner etc.

As a parent i do me best, try and give my kids plenty of love and spend time with them… fingers crossed I Havnt f-ed them up. So far so good

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Good.

I had a pretty average upbringing, Im not going to pretend that they were perfect, didn't make mistakes, I didnt get things that other kids got, Infact i remember being involved in a police raid when I was younger. Some other things.

Can't argue that I wasnt loved, Or they worked hard. My dad would of probably just preferred to stay in a regional s**t-hole town, Surf every day and work 3 days a week. Still loved me, Still got driven to play basketball once a week as a little shithead kid.

No kids in my immediate family- just turned out that way. Sometimes I feel guilty/bad that my mum will never become a Grandmother, cause she'd be an amazing one. But she never lets on she's disappointed so I suppose that's one thing I should be thankful for.

The family name doesnt die out tho- the name is carried on via my Uncles (RIP) two sons both having kids.

Apr 10, 2015
Dirty white van
AFL Club
Essendon
My folks are basically non-existent in my life.

My sister is spoilt rotten (dad helped her buy a run down home and renovated it for her), bought her a car and let her live at home until she was 27. Whereas I had to move out at 18 and buy everything myself.

As I moved interstate they dont come over to see me or their grandkids much (none in the last 3 years). When they do, they might spend an hour max with us but go shopping or out to different places with other relatives. They would rather go on cruises or to other countries.

Breaking point was when they knew I was trying to lose weight but got me a $50 big lad voucher at a shop that only sells 3xl clothing and spent more on my sister and some randoms kids (didnt buy their own grandkids half a good gift).

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
I grew up fat. I was balding by 30.

Yesterday I went to the barber and discovered I'm losing the war against greys in my beard. My friggen parents man... I don't even talk to them now.

(Although that doesn't have much to do with genetics...)

Yesterday I went to the barber and discovered I'm losing the war against greys in my beard. My friggen parents man... I don't even talk to them now.

If genetics are anything to go by I'm completely ****ed

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie

Welcome to the greys in beard club.

Mine are on a warpath.

Also have a couple of grey follicles.

My passport photo at nineteen shows a hairline making a retreat that the French would be proud of, by twenty five I was bald. On the up side, last time I paid for a haircut the Crows had just won their first flag.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
Sounds like I was one of the lucky kids.

Both very supportive parents. Old man was heavily involved in our junior sport growing up and is a life member of the footy and cricket clubs which set a really good example as I am now heavily involved in my kids sporting clubs. I always wonder why other parents are just happy to drop their kids at sport and pick them up at the end. One of my mates growing up never had his parents watch his junior sport, first time they saw him play was a 7th Grade cricket GF when he was 23.

Old man was Vietnam Vet so had some challenges but is a fantastic dad and I probably didn't appreciate both my parents enough as a young kid but certainly realise it now.

I think with the way work conditions are changing and the flexibility for a lot of people to work from home it will help things. Certainly see a lot more dads at school sports days than you did 5 years ago.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Welcome to the greys in beard club.

Mine are on a warpath.

Also have a couple of grey follicles.

I've been a part of the club for years, I've just been living in a complete state of denial cos my beard was long enough to pretend the greys weren't there.

It's so unfair. Bald. Fat. I didn't deserve grey hair too, I'm a good person :(

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I went the shaved head at 30. I grew my hair while the lockdown was on to see what I look like. It's not a good look.

My dad had a friend who had just a tuft of hair on top of his hair like this.

images.jpeg-2.jpg

I often wondered why he didn't just shave it off.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My folks are basically non-existent in my life.

My sister is spoilt rotten (dad helped her buy a run down home and renovated it for her), bought her a car and let her live at home until she was 27. Whereas I had to move out at 18 and buy everything myself.

If my parents did that to me without a very good reason then I'd have made them non existent as well.

Back