The '' Back to Back '' Crows of 1997/98

Were Adelaide's back to back years of 97/98 as good as Hawks, Geelong, Brisbane, Richmond's Best?

• Just as Good. The Crows could have beat them in a Grand Final

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • Close. On Par with them. It could have gone either way.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Could beat some, and lose to some

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • No. The Adelaide Crows weren't as good as the Great Sides during their dynasty

Votes: 67 70.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

PowerfulPies2023

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
How high do you rate them? The first team to win 4 finals. The West Coast Eagles, Geelong, The Western Bulldogs and The Saints who were red hot and had the game by the scruff of the neck at various stages throughout the day. They beat the very best in 1997 literally knocking off the 5th placed Eagles, 2nd placed Geelong, 3rd placed Western Bulldogs ( from 7 goals down at The MCG ) and then the 1st placed Saints.

1998 they beat the Best again. Lost to The Dees in week 1 of the finals but knocked out the 3rd placed Swans at The SCG. 2nd placed Doggies again in The Prelim at The G and the Kangaroos at The G again who finished the season in 1st place. 4 goals down at half time is still a long way back. Especially when you're on the road at The Big Cauldron and on The Road for the 3rd successive week, once again claiming another finals record in doing so.

Tony Modra Missed both Grand Finals as did Mark Riccuito in 1997. There were other absentees too and Modra did win the Coleman in 1997 showing how impressive the versatile Crows were. Full Back Shane Ellen sensationally went forward by a master stroke by coach Malcom Blight and finished the game with 5 goals. Darren Jarman kicked 5 of 8 in the last quarter finishing with 6 goals as The Crows simply ran St.Kilda off the park. North Melbourne suffered the same fate a year later with 5 second half goals from D.J and Nigel Smart chipped in with 3. One was an absolute beauty from outside 50 which added a bit of icing to the Crows cake.

Beneficiary of a floored finals system in the 90's some will say well you can throw many teams into that equation. Many indeed. Make no mistake about it though come finals time they were rock solid and played some mesmerising football. Just how good were they? Were they on the level of The Great Hawks, Geelong, Brisbane's and Richmond? On the level DURING FINALS Time? If you win a Premiership in that manner surely you have to be in the discussion. The first team to win 4 finals then backed up by the first side to win 3 games away from home in a row mind you.

I feel that they get overlooked because if you take a closer look, they only lost two less games than the 1st placed Saints in 1997 and 3 less games than the 1st placed Roos in 1998. I feel their finals football could stack up against the very best because it did when it mattered. Carey's North couldn't sustain the Crows frenzy and missed opportunities or not 4 goals up at half time is still a commanding lead.

Their team was stacked to the rafters with quality. North may have kicked inaccurate in 98 but let's not forget 1993 when Adelaide had 12.12 to 6.6 at half time vs Essendon in the Prelim. It happens. It's a game of inches.

Very skilled and well coached side but luck played a fair part (as it did for us this year in other ways).

Not in my top 10 GF sides I have seen.

Still they stuck it up us Vics and as OP says a very flawed finals system, this was when structural #VicBas was even stronger.

Blight was a genius and they won on the day, twice, which is all you can do really. Doesn't make the flags less sweet .

You don’t win two flags in a row no matter the circumstances without being good, and the one thing they DID have was a handful of exceptional big game players like Jarman, Smart, McLeod, Ricciuto etc so that helped. Probably wouldn’t say they would be likely to fare brilliantly in, say, a hypothetical ‘premiership’ made up of all the premiers of the last 25-30 years - I think they’d be somewhere around the middle - but they would be a dangerous team capable of probably knocking off most sides on their day

Lions dynasty
Hawks 13-15
Cats 07-11
Dons 00
Crows 97-98

My top 5 GF teams of the afl era
Beat two high quality opponents across both years
Great stars but also some underrated guns in johnson, goodwin, hart and caven.
Very good players indeed. I think Matt Connell did exceptionally well once he re-loacted from West Coast.

How high do you rate them? The first team to win 4 finals. The West Coast Eagles, Geelong, The Western Bulldogs and The Saints who were red hot and had the game by the scruff of the neck at various stages throughout the day. They beat the very best in 1997 literally knocking off the 5th placed Eagles, 2nd placed Geelong, 3rd placed Western Bulldogs ( from 7 goals down at The MCG ) and then the 1st placed Saints.

1998 they beat the Best again. Lost to The Dees in week 1 of the finals but knocked out the 3rd placed Swans at The SCG. 2nd placed Doggies again in The Prelim at The G and the Kangaroos at The G again who finished the season in 1st place. 4 goals down at half time is still a long way back. Especially when you're on the road at The Big Cauldron and on The Road for the 3rd successive week, once again claiming another finals record in doing so.

Tony Modra Missed both Grand Finals as did Mark Riccuito in 1997. There were other absentees too and Modra did win the Coleman in 1997 showing how impressive the versatile Crows were. Full Back Shane Ellen sensationally went forward by a master stroke by coach Malcom Blight and finished the game with 5 goals. Darren Jarman kicked 5 of 8 in the last quarter finishing with 6 goals as The Crows simply ran St.Kilda off the park. North Melbourne suffered the same fate a year later with 5 second half goals from D.J and Nigel Smart chipped in with 3. One was an absolute beauty from outside 50 which added a bit of icing to the Crows cake.

Beneficiary of a floored finals system in the 90's some will say well you can throw many teams into that equation. Many indeed. Make no mistake about it though come finals time they were rock solid and played some mesmerising football. Just how good were they? Were they on the level of The Great Hawks, Geelong, Brisbane's and Richmond? On the level DURING FINALS Time? If you win a Premiership in that manner surely you have to be in the discussion. The first team to win 4 finals then backed up by the first side to win 3 games away from home in a row mind you.

I feel that they get overlooked because if you take a closer look, they only lost two less games than the 1st placed Saints in 1997 and 3 less games than the 1st placed Roos in 1998. I feel their finals football could stack up against the very best because it did when it mattered. Carey's North couldn't sustain the Crows frenzy and missed opportunities or not 4 goals up at half time is still a commanding lead.

Their team was stacked to the rafters with quality. North may have kicked inaccurate in 98 but let's not forget 1993 when Adelaide had 12.12 to 6.6 at half time vs Essendon in the Prelim. It happens. It's a game of inches.
and on The Road for the 3rd successive week,

Actually it was 5 weeks on the rd

As Bruce says they’ve been to Perth to Melbourne to Sydney to Melbourne and came back to Melbourne

They seemed yo have endless decently skilled midfielders, even after cutting the old guard of McGuiness and McDermott and the other bloke.

They had fellas like Brett James (serial killer eyes) who was a tough and super effective in the centre, totally under rated. Matty Liptak the doctor. The just had smart foothills to spare.

and on The Road for the 3rd successive week,

Actually it was 5 weeks on the rd

As Bruce says they’ve been to Perth to Melbourne to Sydney to Melbourne and came back to Melbourne
Yep I knew it was 3, did know it was 4 I forgot to put that because they lost at The G to Melbourne. But you're right! Yep they smashed the Eagles in Perth with a big last quarter and who did you play in the 2nd last week of the Home and Away?

Anyway an amazing side you guys were.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The finals system was poor. They finished 5th one year and got hammered by 10 goals in the first final and didn’t get eliminated.

Good team, not great.
No way. They won 4 games in 1997, they didn't lose then.

1998 yes. And it was 8 goals. Maybe you're still bitter about that Leigh Colbert non mark lol. The Crows were great.

Don't rate them that highly. But they had Peter Vardy. One of my all time favs so they were alright. Which year were they a better side 97 or 98? I remember 98 more

Don't rate them that highly. But they had Peter Vardy. One of my all time favs so they were alright. Which year were they a better side 97 or 98? I remember 98 more
Probably 97 and 98 were on par. Equal pegging.

My question is did they go B2B because of Blight or in spite of him? I’ve seen a doco on Fox about these years and Blight comes across as a bit crazy. Not to forget he coached a very talented Geelong to 4 losing GFs 89-95. Did the senior Adelaide players just ignore him and get on with it or was he instrumental? Not sure.

They remind me most of Richmond more than other great teams. They actually carried quite a few plodders in those squads but had star power and weapons that were extremely tough to deal with in big games.

The goal to goal line of Hart/Caven/Goodwin/Robran/Pittman from the '98 GF might be one of the weakest premiership line-ups of the modern era, and their bench (Connell, Stevens, Eccles, Marsh) was also weak.

The flipside is that they had some weapons that made them utterly unstoppable at times.

Darren Jarman was a better version of Jordan De Goey who didn't show up every week in the regular season, but who could absolutely blitz a game apart in midfield or forward. Andrew McLeod was also a bit up and down at that stage in his career, but was a game breaker. Ricciuto was obviously fantastic. Shaun Rehn as a ruck had the size to be unstoppable on his day too. Malcolm Blight was the perfect coach who gave free licence to his players to back themselves in.

Basically, they weren't a bad team to play in mid-june on a freezing day, but you didn't want any part of them on the big stage in September.

They also just simply got lucky at the right time and with a stupid finals series that contributed to ridiculous results in 97, 98 and 99. In '97 they won their first final at home, then played 2nd placed Geelong (who lost in week 1) also at home, followed by the Bulldogs melting down from 6 goals ahead, and then finally a grand final against St Kilda (of all the cursed opponents). In '98 they finished 5th, lost their first final by 6 goals, and stayed alive, then had North kick 6.15 in the first half of the grand final.

All good teams ride a bit of luck, but Adelaide got more than their fair share (as did Carlton the following year; the system at the time rewarded luck far too much imo).

As a result, I think their back to back seasons get discounted. They weren't dominant in either season OR even in the finals series themselves. They also came out of no-where a bit (they were an 8 or 9 win team from 94-96, and then again in 99-00) so it was really only a two year run where they didn't finish higher than fourth.

SO no, probably not on the level of the other dynasties, but a very good and unique team nonetheless.

My question is did they go B2B because of Blight or in spite of him? I’ve seen a doco on Fox about these years and Blight comes across as a bit crazy. Not to forget he coached a very talented Geelong to 4 losing GFs 89-95. Did the senior Adelaide players just ignore him and get on with it or was he instrumental? Not sure.
Absolutely because of him.

There was no spite!

Check our the documentary on his half time chat in the 1997 preliminary final.

Last edited:
Pittman. The Pittman files.

They were Pittman material.

Back