The Backline

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Backline
Our KPPs are locked and rocks for 2021-2022 at least (Jones and Weiters).

With 6-6-6, it does mean though we have 4 spots to fit in a whole bunch of players. Who gets in?

Saad - Loves the HBF run role, gives us zip. I don't think he should be moved at all.
Docherty - our captain, currently takes kick-ins, best strength is intercept marks and reading the play. Has had stints in the midfield before with not great results.
Plowman - our 3rd tall and mr. fix it for so many years. Good kick but really splits the crowd in terms of his value to the team.
Parks - the new cult hero. Looks to play a similar role to Plowman, not as big but reads the play well and is much better on the ground.
Williamson - one footed and has been below his best this year. Still one that could come good in the future.
Newman - banging the door down after a long injury recovery.
Stocker - been very effective playing back, but we all hope he moves into the midfield.
Williams - IMO his best position is still back. Though he will probably remain a mid.
SPS - please no more hbf for SPS. Midfield or HFF but we'll see what the Teague train decides.

That's 9 players potentially who can fill those remaining 4 spots.

How do we fit them all in?

2021 best back 6

Parks - Jones - Docherty
Saad - Weiters - Williams (with stints in the midfield)

Plowman and Newman are probably fighting for the same spot on the bench. I know that Plow is an important member of our team, but his defensive game has been off lately, and Newman provides a lot more offensively.

SPS should be used in an on-ball/wing/HFF rotation, and Stocker/Willo are probably not in our fully fit best 22.

2021 best back 6

Docherty - Jones - Parks
Williams - Weitering - Saad
7th Defender - Newman (If he can get back near his best)

Would push stocker into midfield and SPS to HFF

Newman can offer what Plowman does but is also an offensive weapon..
Think people forget how good he was and how good his ball use is..

Used to be a Plowman fan.. But now think he is unreliable, he only really stands up against Jeremy Cameron
and gets smash against anyone with pace..

Last edited:
2021 best back 6

Docherty - Jones - Parks

Used to be a Plowman fan.. But now think he is unreliable, he only really stands up against Jeremy Cameron
Not sure how often Plowman has has Jeremy Cameron as a matchup.

He get's smashed when our fwds & mids don't do anything to slow forward entries and he gets caught one-out with a fast player who can lead into space. Or he finds himself trying to defend two players (like when Willo was completely lost at the start of the season). Historically he's done quite well against guys like Walters and Charlie Cameron.

Perhaps my memory isn't serving me well, but I don't remember Newman as being a particularly great lockdown option. He played the deep sweeper role quite well in Doc's absence, took a fair few marks and racked up the disposals, but I don't think being a med-small lockdown player is his bag, he's a distributing halfback.

That being said, my defensive group would be pretty similar to yours. At this stage I'm going Weitering & Jones KPD, Parks next as the 3rd/intercept. I like Docherty and Saad there and would be interested to see Williams go back for a bit too (at least until he get's settled in the team and has no niggling injuries or anything like that).

After that there's Plow for the small/med lockdown and I like Stocker there, at least part time, I think he brings some hardness alongside Parks that we need. I think we could actually pick a back 8 with Williams and Stocker getting some mid rotations plus Doc & Saad getting up onto a wing at times.

Newman is probably next in. You could make a case for him taking Stocker's spot (although I really want him to keep getting games) or Plow's spot (but that probably means one of Stocker/Doc/Saad/Williams have to play more of a dedicated lockdown role which doesn't really suit them/play to their strengths).

Will be interesting to watch it all play out.

We really need a 3rd tall interceptor now that there are serious doubts on Marchbank.

Parks could become this player. He’s shown a lot in his 3 games to date and shows how much we need that type of player to help with defensive structure.

Kemp might also be that player. He excelled in this role in his junior years before being tried in Midfield

2021 best back 6

Docherty - Jones - Parks

I would like Newman back in for his kicking

Remove this Banner Ad

Back