Solved The Backpacker Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

Finished watching part 2. I think they should've had a part 3, it looked rushed towards the end

Yes ... agreed.

... maybe show the trial where Ivan's lawyers tried to pin it on the other brothers?

...and how Onions handled the trial?

Interesting that the younger brothers, Boris who had a lot to say on the Sunday Night program and George who was interviewed for tje Crime Investigation show were not depicted in the series at all?

I haven't seen it. It's a commercial tv drama though so I imagine it is fiction.

Based on the 'Sins of the Brother' book about the backpacker murders ... some stuff added but mostly true as researched by the authors.

I was hoping the show would have more about the evidence. They didn't show any of the evidence used in court

Even though the court stuff wasn't shown you could easily infer what the evidence was:

circumstantial-Ivan being off work day of all the murders
Physical-Ballistics, Caroline Clarke's Beneton jumper, Simone Shimidals (sp) drink bottle, the camera, tents, sleeping bags, the Ruger rifle.
Witness statements-Paul Onions etc

I thought this was a good series.shook my head at some of the mistakes made when the British guy escaped... Sent chills down my spine.ivthought the subject was handled with dignity for the victims and was well made.felt sorry for the detective who knew it was Ivan from the start.what a way to go out:(

I also heard that the mother of the milat kids was pretty out there as well apple doesn't fall...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paul Onions is insane. Lucky and a bit of a champ, considering he probably halted a few more deaths. I called my fantasy Premier League and Dream Team after him.

I remember finding out about these murders through Crime Investigation Australia. I'd usually dismiss shows like this, but I reckon the series was great: Informative, interesting, but absolutely heartbreaking. This episode really stuck with me, just because of the brutality of every single death. I was about 14 or so when I was watching them, and I think it cemented that idea that idea of how animalistic humanity can be. The **** this guy did was the definition of evil.

His family is worthless. One of them was absolutely suss. I dunno what his name was, but he reckoned brother Ivan wasn't that bad of a bloke... and weren't they some vague rumours about incest?
I still think the police dropped the ball with paul onions, someone tried to shoot him with a handgun in broad daylight and they didn't seem to treat it with any urgency yet once backpackers started going missing they were all over it like a rash. and yes ivan was apparently sleeping with his sister, wouldn't surprise me if she was involved and lured victims into his car

I still think the police dropped the ball with paul onions, someone tried to shoot him with a handgun in broad daylight and they didn't seem to treat it with any urgency yet once backpackers started going missing they were all over it like a rash. and yes ivan was apparently sleeping with his sister, wouldn't surprise me if she was involved and lured victims into his car
Wowee, I've heard a lot about the reported doings of the Milats but him sleeping with his sister wasn't something I recalled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back