Remove this Banner Ad

TigerToughSkin

Draftee
Jul 5, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsena; Chicago Cubs
Not too long ago, I was watching a Soccer Documentary on YouTube Entitled “Football’s Bad Boys”. It was quite an interesting program, in which Football Greats and Journalists alike helped to select a team of the Eleven Most Hardest Players ever to have played the game.
The team consisted of Graeme Souness, Julian Dicks, Roy Keane, John Fashanu, and “The Shankill Skinhead” Norman Whiteside.
The other day I thought to myself, ‘I wonder what an AFL Bad Boys Team Would Look Like?’ So then I had I had a brain wave. I quickly jotted down a team that would give any opposition great anxiety to line up against. An Anti-Social Team that make an Umpire’s duty even more so stressful.
So without waiting for Mike Sheehan or Fox Footy to get around to doing this, I sketched up this team of players who’s actions not just on the field but off it caused so much hysteria amongst media personal and supporters with their adjudged “acts of thuggery and “moments of madness”.
The BAD BOYS TEAM OF THE CENTURY will without doubt cause so commotion in this forum. So please send me feedback on my team selection and discuss with others (nice and friendly) about who, how and why you would select differently. So without further ado, I present to you the…

BAD BOYS TEAM OF THE CENTURY
B: Jim O’Dea(ST.K) Rick Kennedy(W.B) Rod Grinter(MELB)
HB: Don “Mopsy” Fraser(RICH) David Rhys-Jones(SYD/CARL) Ronnie Andrews(ESS/COLL)
C: Greg Williams(GEEL/SYD/CARL) Ben Cousins(WCE/RICH) Robert “Mad Dog” Muir(ST.K)
HF: Fred Rutley(NM) Wayne Carey(NM/ADEL) Gary Ablett Snr(HAW/GEEL)
F: Mark “Jacko” Jackson(MELB/ST.K/GEEL) Barry Hall(ST.K/SYD/W.B) Jimmy Krakouer(NM/ST.K)
Foll: Carl Ditterich(ST.K/MELB) "Captain Blood" Jack Dyer (c)(RICH) “Lethal” Leigh Matthews (vc)(HAW)
INT: Lazar Vidovic(ST.K); Dick Condon(COLL); “Dirty” David Granger(ST.K/PA); Alex “Bongo” Lang(CARL)
Coach: Mal Brown(RICH)
EMG: Tony Lockett(ST.K/SYD); Robert Di Pierdomenico(HAW); Tony Liberatore(W.B); Phil Carman(COLL/MELB/ESS/NM) Doug Fraser(CARL); Roger Merrett(ESS/BRIS)

…………………………………………………………………
POINTERS
- I selected North Melbourne’s Fred Rutley over Roger Merrett for Left Forward Flank, as Rutley holds the record for the highest on-field penalty of 89 weeks (on a charge of two counts of striking, two counts of kicking and one count of melee involvement against Geelong in 1925)
- Collingwood Skipper and Dual Premiership Player Dick Condon (the highest profile player for his time) received a Life-Time Ban for Shouting Abuse (“Your Girl’s A Bloody Whore”) at Umpire Ivo Crapp in 1900. The ban was later rescinded to a 20 Week Suspension
- Carlton’s Doug Fraser and Three-Time Premiership Player; Alex “Bongo Lang” Both Received 99 Week Suspensions for Bribery. The Highest Penalty of Any Kind in the League
- For the Full-Forward Position I selected Barry Hall over Tony Lockett as I believe that Hall has a nastier and scarier streak in him than Plugger (Again this is not a team based on skill, but reputations)
- St. Kilda has the Dubious Honour of Having the Most Players Selected with Nine Representations
- If anyone could tell me who many weeks the team has racked up in suspensions I’ll respect you for life! (LOL)

………………………………………………………………………………………
So have I got it right? Who would you put in your team? This is obviously going to be a big talking point in this forum. So please don’t hesitate to reply and post on what your team selection would end up looking like. Cheers!

Last edited:
If anyone could tell me who many weeks the team has racked up in suspensions I’ll respect you for life! (LOL)
………………………………………………………………………………………
So have I got it right? Who would you put in your team? This is obviously going to be a big talking point in this forum. So please don’t hesitate to reply and post on what your team selection would end up looking like. Cheers!
You might find the Tribunal page from the old AFL Historical Statistics site interesting. It's last entry is from 2010, but it's quite handy that it can be sorted on various subjects:-

http://wayback.archive.org/web/2013...on_idIndex=0&guiltyIndex=0&AFLstatisticMenu=1

I do tend to laugh these days when I hear people say things like "they've turned the game into netball" when I look at some of the things players were reported/suspended for back in the early days!

My team is based on on-field incidents..things like bribery etc aren't "dirty" as such

B: Steven Baker (St. K), Jim O'Dea (St. K), Rod Grinter (Melb)
HB: David Rhys-Jones (South/Syd, Carl), Ron Andrews (Ess, Coll), Don Fraser (Rich)
C: Robert Muir (St. K), Greg Williams (Geel, Syd, Carl), Bill Burns (Rich - 46 weeks for kicking....)
HF: Dermott Brereton (Haw, Syd, Coll), Roger Merrett (Ess, Bris), Peter Reville (South, Fitz)
F: Leigh Matthews (Haw), Tony Lockett (St. K, Syd), Gary Ablett senior (Haw, Geel)
R: Carl Ditterich (St. K, Melb), Phil Carman (Coll, Melb, Ess, North), Jim Krakouer (North, St. K)
Int: John Bourke (Coll reserves), Fred Rutley (North), Barry Hall (St. K, Syd, WB), Dustin Fletcher (Ess), Glenn Archer (North), Sam Kekovich (North, Coll)

For anyone who doesn't remember Bourke taking out an umpire then jumping the fence. He got a 6yr ban for it.

Yep, who could forget that. It did flirt my mind but I decided to make it more Senior Players Only

Thanks for Commenting!

My team is based on on-field incidents..things like bribery etc aren't "dirty" as such

B: Steven Baker (St. K), Jim O'Dea (St. K), Rod Grinter (Melb)
HB: David Rhys-Jones (South/Syd, Carl), Ron Andrews (Ess, Coll), Don Fraser (Rich)
C: Robert Muir (St. K), Greg Williams (Geel, Syd, Carl), Bill Burns (Rich - 46 weeks for kicking....)
HF: Dermott Brereton (Haw, Syd, Coll), Roger Merrett (Ess, Bris), Peter Reville (South, Fitz)
F: Leigh Matthews (Haw), Tony Lockett (St. K, Syd), Gary Ablett senior (Haw, Geel)
R: Carl Ditterich (St. K, Melb), Phil Carman (Coll, Melb, Ess, North), Jim Krakouer (North, St. K)
Int: John Bourke (Coll reserves), Fred Rutley (North), Barry Hall (St. K, Syd, WB), Dustin Fletcher (Ess), Glenn Archer (North), Sam Kekovich (North, Coll)

Taking bribes for throwing games is pretty dirty though; however I like your line up though. I don't Dustin Fletcher was that dirty though, maybe just a bit clumsy at times. I don't think he put anyone on the shelf, did he?

Thanks for Commenting!

Taking bribes for throwing games is pretty dirty though; however I like your line up though. I don't Dustin Fletcher was that dirty though, maybe just a bit clumsy at times. I don't think he put anyone on the shelf, did he?

Thanks for Commenting!

One that doesn't seem to get a mention is Bob Chitty for Carlton. His exploits especially in the Bloodbath Grand Final are legendary.

For anyone who doesn't remember Bourke taking out an umpire then jumping the fence. He got a 6yr ban for it.

Worked with him during a summer job 20 years ago. To say he could drink is an understatement. Good bloke though.

Dave Granger aka Grave Danger is worthy of consideration, even though he didn't do much damage in his one season in the VFL

I've decided to make some changes to my side. I've replaced Rutley with Brereton and have omitted Bongo Lang. Having racked up 39 weeks of suspensions from 17 reports he has a case for his inclusion. MY Bad Boys Team of the Centuary now looks like this

BAD BOYS TEAM OF THE CENTUARY
HB: Don “Mopsy” Fraser(RICH) David Rhys-Jones(SYD/CARL) Ronnie Andrews(ESS/COLL)
C: Greg Williams(GEEL/SYD/CARL) Ben Cousins(WCE/RICH) Robert “Mad Dog” Muir(ST.K)
HF: Dermott Brereton(HAW/SYD/COLL) Wayne Carey(NM/ADEL) Gary Ablett Snr(HAW/GEEL)
F: Mark “Jacko” Jackson(MELB/ST.K/GEEL) Barry Hall(ST.K/SYD/W.B) Jimmy Krakouer(NM/ST.K)
Foll: Carl Ditterich(ST.K/MELB) "Captain Blood" Jack Dyer (c)(RICH) “Lethal” Leigh Matthews (vc)(HAW)
INT: Lazar Vidovic(ST.K); Dick Condon(COLL); “Dirty” David Granger(ST.K/PA); Fred Rutley(NM)
EMG: Tony Lockett(ST.K/SYD); Robert Di Pierdomenico(HAW); Tony Liberatore(W.B); Phil Carman(COLL/MELB/ESS/NM) Alex "Bongo" Lang(CARL); Roger Merrett(ESS/BRIS)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dave Granger aka Grave Danger is worthy of consideration, even though he didn't do much damage in his one season in the VFL

I did select him for his reputation and legacy in the SANFL. Having played senior football the VFL/AFL I qualified him in my selection

I've decided to make some changes to my side. I've replaced Rutley with Brereton and have omitted Bongo Lang. Having racked up 39 weeks of suspensions from 17 reports he has a case for his inclusion. MY Bad Boys Team of the Centuary now looks like this

BAD BOYS TEAM OF THE CENTUARY
HF: Dermott Brereton(HAW/SYD/COLL) Wayne Carey(NM/ADEL) Gary Ablett Snr(HAW/GEEL)
INT: Lazar Vidovic(ST.K); Dick Condon(COLL); “Dirty” David Granger(ST.K); Fred Rutley(NM)
EMG: Tony Lockett(ST.K/SYD); Robert Di Pierdomenico(HAW); Tony Liberatore(W.B); Phil Carman(COLL/MELB/ESS/NM) Alex "Bongo" Lang(CARL); Roger Merrett(ESS/BRIS)

Benny Cousins looks so out of place next to Robbie Muir and Diesel, he might be a junkie but he wasn't a badass on the field.

Benny Cousins looks so out of place next to Robbie Muir and Diesel, he might be a junkie but he wasn't a badass on the field.

He was selected for off-field bad boy image. This team is selected for on and off-field reputations

He was selected for off-field bad boy image. This team is selected for on and off-field reputations

But he isn't a bad boy or a hard man, in fact I'm struggling to think of one time where he actually belted someone.

Anyway I realise its just a bit of fun and it was just a casual observation.

But he isn't a bad boy or a hard man, in fact I'm struggling to think of one time where he actually belted someone.

Anyway I realise its just a bit of fun and it was just a casual observation.

It's cool, I'm not upset or anything like that.

He did get 22 weeks by the AFL for Bringing The Game Into Disrepute

I know that this is going to sound as if I hate Wayne Carey but, when it comes to being bad on the field I would have Mal Brown playing ahead of him. Cousins is also a poor fit for this team, I agree with the poster who said replace him with Worsfold or Lewis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back