Review The Bad, Sad and the Ugly v Port Power 2020...

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m really gun shy when it comes to using top picks on key forwards. Has it ever worked for us. Mid fielders are the safer option when you are in full rebuild mode like we are.
Local kid which does help, and we need forwards with Tex done and Berg/Frampton not the answer.

But yep we probably need mids more.

I’m really gun shy when it comes to using top picks on key forwards. Has it ever worked for us. Mid fielders are the safer option when you are in full rebuild mode like we are.

I agree I think we load up on midfielders, the advantage there is they can often play straight away. I think you then trade in key forwards or key defenders when the time is right.

I agree I think we load up on midfielders, the advantage there is they can often play straight away. I think you then trade in key forwards or key defenders when the time is right.
The difference here is you've got the best KPF prospect in the draft and he's a SA lad.

You need quality KPPs to build a team around.

But we also need quality midfielders, the list needs everything

Local kid which does help, and we need forwards with Tex done and Berg/Frampton not the answer.

But yep we probably need mids more.
Such a tough call. You’re right on both counts , we do need another developing KPF. I’d be very tempted with Thilthorpe, especially with his agility and pace. Don’t come around too often.

We need 2 top 5 selections really as the midfield is broken. It may look better as the year goes by and we see more of Jones and McHenry.

The difference here is you've got the best KPF prospect in the draft and he's a SA lad.

And it's not like we have many young KPP prospects on our list. Frampton & Himmelberg are duds. Walker is on his last legs, and right now seems aptly named. That just leaves Fogarty, who remains unproven and is so heavy that he's virtually immobile.

We desperately need mids and we desperately need a decent KPP forward. What we don't need are more KPP defenders, 3rd tall defenders, or HBFers, which is where Ogilvie's drafting obsession seems to lie.

Not everything... we have HBFers and 3rd tall defenders coming out the wazoo.

Such a tough call. You’re right on both counts , we do need another developing KPF. I’d be very tempted with Thilthorpe, especially with his agility and pace. Don’t come around too often.

We need 2 top 5 selections really as the midfield is broken. It may look better as the year goes by and we see more of Jones and McHenry.
Agility & pace are 2 of the key attributes missing from Fogarty's game. Given that Lynch & Walker are rapidly approaching the end, and Walker isn't particularly mobile anyway, Tilthorpe would appear to meet a desperate need.

I think we'll be pretty damn average next year as well. With KPP's tending to take a little longer to develop, I'd take either of Baldwin or Thilthorpe with our first pick now and look for mids next year.

Fogarty with a couple of years developing before Walker retires. And a break glass if needed with either of Frampton or Himmelberg with 1 of Baldwin or Thilthorpe. We could essentially have Butts, Doedee and McAsey with a couple of years of development before Talia retires. And the possible inclusion of Borlase this year.

We still have Jones, McHenry and Schoenberg (and maybe O'Connor) developing now while Sloane winds back. Crouch's I'd keep. Edwards might be added this year?

Go hard on the best mids available next year.

Crouch
Crouch
Sloane
Smith

Then the rest under 10

1 an imported 23 year old - fair
1 an outside squib receiver who couldnt find a hard ball in a freezer
2 our 2nd rucks
1 our future Mid ?

Port meanwhile use 2 experienced players then a bunch including Future Mid (and Brownlow Medallist) Rozee and Dan Houston along side Gray and SPP

I get the impression that after the Sydney game where our midfield were thrashed, the Crouch's blamed too many rotations as the reason for the poor midfield display.
So the coaches went with a 'simpler' centre bounce set up against Port.
I think it's clear to see that the rotations aren't the problem.
I have always liked the idea of Smith going into the midfield but he has been extremely underwhelming in that role.
Time for a complete revamp of our midfield.
I'd like to see Jones, Doedee, Milera, Hamill and B Crouch as our midfield set up for the future.
And try and get some games into Harry.
I would still like to see if Poholke can be an afl midfielder and given a few games in a row

I think we'll be pretty damn average next year as well. With KPP's tending to take a little longer to develop, I'd take either of Baldwin or Thilthorpe with our first pick now and look for mids next year.

Fogarty with a couple of years developing before Walker retires. And a break glass if needed with either of Frampton or Himmelberg with 1 of Baldwin or Thilthorpe. We could essentially have Butts, Doedee and McAsey with a couple of years of development before Talia retires. And the possible inclusion of Borlase this year.

We still have Jones, McHenry and Schoenberg (and maybe O'Connor) developing now while Sloane winds back. Crouch's I'd keep. Edwards might be added this year?

Go hard on the best mids available next year.

Don't forget we've also got Worrell.

Mids we need to address during the trade period - preferably a Hately/Caldwell type.

I just think Riley will be too good to pass up.

This is all based on us finishing 16th-18th as well, if we do the typical Crow thing and finish any higher I'm not sure either he or Baldwin will be available.

We (hopefully) have the added bonus of Edwards who projects midfield talent too.

If we ever needed to nail a draft, with the hand we are likely to have.... This is it.

Mids we need to address during the trade period - preferably a Hately/Caldwell type.
Hately looks gettable, do they have any gunmid academy boys this year ?? That'll push him further down.

Not everything... we have HBFers and 3rd tall defenders coming out the wazoo.
And as such, they are the players you have to consider trading for draft picks. Would we have the courage to turn Laird and the GWS 1st round pick in to a top 10 pick? Laird is going backwards, but will still have currency after his AA year. There would be teams interested.

Players who have genuine trade value:
B Crouch
M Crouch
D Talia
T Lynch (someone would bite)
R Laird
W Milera
D Fogarty
F McAsey
T Doedee
B Smith
R OBrien

Out of those, the players you could afford to move on are;
B Crouch
M Crouch
T Lynch
R Laird
B Smith

I'd be willing to offer all except probably Smith. Of course you can't trade all of them, but I'd be interested to see what they net individually.

We need to get really bold. Use our top 3 pick for Thilthorpe. Trade up to top 5 for a skilled mid (maybe including B Crouch compensation). Trade for Jackson Hately (Would a pick and 10 goal Tommy help them get over the hump to a premiership?)
Then add Edwards, Newchurch etc...

We can't sit on the players who have trade value, especially when they can and should be replaced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, another young one who may we maybe able to switch to either end of the ground. Haven't heard much about him at all since he was drafted.

Tom Green didnt play last week and hes probably ahead of Hately. Also Caldwell isnt getting dropped after his performance.

Taranto still to come back from injury too.

The way I see it is Riley Thilthorpe is a must with our first pick I know some don’t like the idea of prioritising SA talent but he fills a need as a key forward/Ruckman and with Tex at the end it makes sense. I also agree with most that our midfield is very same same and I would be offloading Brad Crouch hoping for compensation after our first pick and even consider Losing Matt Crouch too for a first rounder that would leave us with 4x first with one to be used on Thilthorpe and 2x second rounders we could then use the 3x first and 2x seconds to trade up and hopefully get two young goal kicking midfielders preferably some ones with pace, good skills and X factor Eg Elijah Hollands, Tanner Bruhn and Archie Perkins or Nathan O’Driscoll for his aggression then get Luke Edwards, Tariek Newchurch and James Borlase with academy and father son picks. This immediately allows us to address our Forward line and midfield And would be an ideal way to start our rebuild our midfield mix going into 2020 would be more like Sloane, Jones, Schoenberg, McHenry, Hollands, O,Driscoll, Perkins a good mix of grunt and class

The way I see it is Riley Thilthorpe is a must with our first pick I know some don’t like the idea of prioritising SA talent but he fills a need as a key forward/Ruckman and with Tex at the end it makes sense. I also agree with most that our midfield is very same same and I would be offloading Brad Crouch hoping for compensation after our first pick and even consider Losing Matt Crouch too for a first rounder that would leave us with 4x first with one to be used on Thilthorpe and 2x second rounders we could then use the 3x first and 2x seconds to trade up and hopefully get two young goal kicking midfielders preferably some ones with pace, good skills and X factor Eg Elijah Hollands, Tanner Bruhn and Archie Perkins or Nathan O’Driscoll for his aggression then get Luke Edwards, Tariek Newchurch and James Borlase with academy and father son picks. This immediately allows us to address our Forward line and midfield And would be an ideal way to start our rebuild our midfield mix going into 2020 would be more like Sloane, Jones, Schoenberg, McHenry, Hollands, O,Driscoll, Perkins a good mix of grunt and class
Immediately?

It'll be at least 2 -3 years before any of those you've name will have real AFL impact, Hollands first year will be on a restricted program as well. Tanner Bruhn can certainly football but he has a long injury history and he's injured again right now. We must keep some bigger AFL bodies to transition the youngsters development through, that midfield make up would be recipe for disaster aka the GCS early years.

Immediately?

It'll be at least 2 -3 years before any of those you've name will have real AFL impact, Hollands first year will be on a restricted program as well. Tanner Bruhn can certainly football but he has a long injury history and he's injured again right now. We must keep some bigger AFL bodies to transition the youngsters development through, that midfield make up would be recipe for disaster aka the GCS early years.
Immediately probably was the wrong choice of words there but I do believe we need to cash in on Brad at least. We could probably wait a year on Matt because he’ll only be 26 at the end of next year allowing Jones and McHenry to be 4th years in 2022 and Schoenberg a 3rd year by the time he leaves I’m aware that’s still young but at least they’ll have a few pre seasons under their belts

Whilst I'd say no-one is a must with our pick, seeing every position that isn't a defender is a need, there is a lot of appeal to filling the 2nd key forward post with another high draft pick. Especially if Edwards comes on and looks a good midfielder.

Seeing we're just hoping in 2021 we can be functional for longer, we can afford to let one just sit in a key forward spot and learn in the AFL lineup. Get Fogarty/Thilthorpe in early and let them gel together around a bunch of smalls. Then go hard with our 1st pick (which will most likely be <5) come 2021 on a midfielder.

Becomes a no brainer if we get another pick in the top 10 as well. Hit one to three highly rated midfielders on top of it as well (providing Edwards and Newchurch come on) and we could be looking at a bright future if we play our cards right off-field. Or we could end up in the never ending spiral of a tanked side.

Last edited:
I have always liked the idea of Smith going into the midfield but he has been extremely underwhelming in that role.

Smith in the midfield could work if we had powerful inside mids who could win quality clearances, or put on the blocks needed for Smith to run through and get his own, but we don't, and we won't before Smith retires, so we'll probably never know.

Smith in the midfield could work if we had powerful inside mids who could win quality clearances, or put on the blocks needed for Smith to run through and get his own, but we don't, and we won't before Smith retires, so we'll probably never know.
Time to put it to bed, back to HB and put the time into a 8-10 yr mid

We are always looking for silver bullets with Smith and Milera. Smith is great off half back ... id leave him there and build the back line with him in mind. We really need to go hard after a true running mid star or rising mid star .. and then build a team around them. We need the next DJ or Danger so bad right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back