The bad, the crap, the fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on guys, how long until one of you decide it's a really good idea to start the "sack Pyke" thread.

You have plotted everyone else, why not him?

He is the decision maker after all. Why not run the flag up the pole and just call for his head. It's bound to happen because I don't know why we didn't win the premiership by 100 points.we are thst damm good.
You mean like some of your headhunting you've done on players before?
Switching clubs?

And you're talking about going after the coach?
Neil Craig ring a bell?

You mean like some of your headhunting you've done on players before?
Switching clubs?

And you're talking about going after the coach?
Neil Craig ring a bell?

Come on, it's only fair Dom Pyke get a go. Everyone else is in the gun. It's only a matter of time before the hatred hitting, not accepting mediocrity posters start calling for his head.

I'll give it 15 minutes after our next loss.

It's bound to happen.

Come on, it's only fair Dom Pyke get a go. Everyone else is in the gun. It's only a matter of time before the hatred hitting, not accepting mediocrity posters start calling for his head.

I'll give it 15 minutes after our next loss.

It's bound to happen.
Come on now, you're throwing around over the top statements that nearly everyone is saying to drop Talia, Walker, Betts etc.
If everyone had it their way the whole team would be delisted etc.
No one is saying that except 1 or 2 maybe I've seen. And they are probably trolls anyway.

Some have been bringing up points about a few players who look scratchy or troubled and a lot of it is true.

Sucks we will be carrying a 3 payer handicap into finals - McKay, Douglas and thimpson. All the other top 4 teams are peaking at the right time whereas we are on a downward spiral.

Come on now, you're throwing around over the top statements that nearly everyone is saying to drop Talia, Walker, Betts etc.
If everyone had it their way the whole team would be delisted etc.
No one is saying that except 1 or 2 maybe I've seen. And they are probably trolls anyway.

Some have been bringing up points about a few players who look scratchy or troubled and a lot of it is true.

Have you not read the board over the past 24 hours.

It's totally perplexing the nonsence getting posted. Yes we lose but we don't need a complete overhaul like some are intimating.

We beat North round 1 in the finals and then take on GSW/Sydney.

5th.

after a year of mutual masturbation and five fingered reach arounds, we've managed to excrementally smear the bed at the first sign of business end of season pressure, and ended up with 5th

5th.

Richmond finished 5th last year.

5th

what a ******* waste.

jonny giles consigned us to 5th

5th is nowhere.

we'll beat North Melbourne next week and then the reach around will begin again.

5th.

no one was concerned when the draw was made, WC at HOME was well within our capability. no nic nat, and it was all set up nicely for 2nd.

we got 5th

this was a wasted season. we wasted it.

flat track bullies of no resolve, no character, no guts.

******* 5th.

the difference between contending and not, is top 4.

and we didn't lose a must win, a should win, a need to win, by a small margin

we're 5th after a big loss.

maybe Danger was right. *.

5th.

after a year of mutual masturbation and five fingered reach arounds, we've managed to excrementally smear the bed at the first sign of business end of season pressure, and ended up with 5th

5th.

5th

what a ******* waste.

5th is nowhere.

we'll beat North Melbourne next week and then the reach around will begin again.

5th.

no one was concerned when the draw was made, WC at HOME was well within our capability. no nic nat, and it was all set up nicely for 2nd.

we got 5th

******* 5th.

maybe Danger was right. ****.

Norf got comfortably beaten by GWS - what a surprise. GWS are youthful and cocky - to the point they aren't scared of opportunity and pressure, they thrive on it.

We tripped ourselves up so many times this year - and every time, we were fortunate enough that some incredibly unlikely result occurred, and put us back in the mix.

Then, when it counts, with destiny in our hands, we did what we always do - we choked, and threw a position of dominance and opportunity away.

It's so predictable; this Club, at a level which seems to permeate the club, struggles with hard decisions - and cannot handle pressure and the weight of expectation.

Norf got comfortably beaten by GWS - what a surprise. GWS are youthful and cocky - to the point they aren't scared of opportunity and pressure, they thrive on it.

We tripped ourselves up so many times this year - and every time, we were fortunate enough that some incredibly unlikely result occurred, and put us back in the mix.

Then, when it counts, with destiny in our hands, we did what we always do - we choked, and threw a position of dominance and opportunity away.

It's so predictable; this Club, at a level which seems to permeate the club, struggles with hard decisions - and cannot handle pressure and the weight of expectation.
I blame our list management and selection policies first and foremost. It's geared towards these outcomes. Some talent supported by dime a dozen players. A team that can win plenty of games by virtue of 12 home games and plenty of average sides, but gets found out vs the best.

This year, in isolation, on the back of the events of last year, you could perhaps forgive it to some extent. It's been the theme for every final series since 98 though.

Enough is enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they were complacent. i dont mind the result, could be the best thing for us leading in the finals, but hopefully we sneak into 4th

that's just insane. even if sneak 4th, we'll play sydney in sydney.

its a terrible result for us. my fear is this:

5th. we play North win.
next week, play GWS, and with a tail wind make a prelim.
get mullered

and suddenly its high fives and corn holing all round, people talking up next year and we stand pat during trade season.

this is the worst possible result.

its not despair that kills you its the hope, and this result makes us irrelevant and sets us up for false hope.

Piss weak mentally. When the pressure is on we crumble to dust. That was a choke of Port Adelaide proportions.

We are not good enough for the flag. Our midfield is paper thin. We lose one player and we struggle against good sides. Hell we struggle against good sides with all hands on the deck in our midfield. In major need of a quality midfielder so should trade wisely because that window is not staying open forever.

Amen.

5th. we play North win.
get mullered

and suddenly its high fives and corn holing all round, people talking up next year and we stand pat during trade season.

its not despair that kills you its the hope, and this result makes us irrelevant and sets us up for false hope.

Surely our trade strategy is already well planned?

5th. we play North win.
get mullered

Why would anyone get their hopes up from here? It's going to script. We will win week one, then the stage is set for a heartbreaking/'honourable' loss in week 2 if not 3.

It's 2012, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2002 all over again.

And that is one of my big issues.. our plan B shouldn't be to bomb it... it should be hard leads which are the perfect counter to flooding numbers back.
All this Plan A, Plan B stuff... I reckon it's more just how good you are at football.

Against lesser teams we win more than our share of the ball in the midfield. Our players can evade tackles, break tackles, find space, isolate loose players, use the players on the outside. That means we have time and space to deliver the ball so can hit leading forwards, be clever and constructive with our usage.

Forwards can get away from their opponents and win one on one contests.

Our midfield and forward line is able to put pressure on them so the opposition is forced into quick kicks upfield. This plays into our defender's strengths and we easily pick off these contests. We are able to slow their ball movement through the midfield and coming out of defence. They hesitate and try to kick through our zone which leads to turnovers. Our defenders can rebound the ball quickly because there are openings in the zone.

Against the good teams we are hard pressed to win 50% of the ball in the midfield. Our players can't evade or break tackles because the opposition are better at tackling. We can't isolate loose players or use the players on the outside because we have less time and those players are manned up anyway due to our disciplined opponents.

Forwards can't get away from their opponents and win fewer one on one contests because the defenders they are on are better. Better teams are smarter at outnumbering us. Midfield under pressure means more high kicks.

They are better at absorbing pressure and harder to tackle so we are unable to force them into rushed kicks upfield. They use the ball cleverly which makes it harder for our defenders. They control the ball, don't give us a chance to turn it over. Our defenders cannot find any openings in the zone so are forced to chip sideways which means we move the ball slowly.

It less about our game plan being worked out - more about relative personnel.

The only thing that matters is how do we cope when the heat it is on? This is why all the minor round wins are irrelevant and only the games against contenders matter. Now - this is all fine. Every team finds it harder to play against good teams. The question that needs to be asked is whether our game plan and players can stand up against the best teams in the competition.

There will be heat and congestion around the footy. Do we have clean hands? Quick handballs that hit targets whilst being tackled? Do we keep our composure? Can we put pressure on our opponents so they are forced into rushed disposals? Do our tackles prevent them from releasing the football cleanly?

Our defenders will be isolated one out at times. Are they all capable in the air and on the ground? Can they leave their man to create a 2 on 1? We will need to move the ball through a well set up zone. Do we have the kicking skills to do this?

Our forwards will be outnumbered at times. Can we stand under a high ball and halve the contest? Win the contest? Read it off hands? Can we conjure a goal from a scrappy entry? Can our forwards pressure their defenders so that rebounds are rushed?

With evenly matched teams you need to be able to win ugly. I'm not sure we can.

Last edited:
I thought a lot of the time our Plan A was kick down the line. We weren't composed enough at times to spot another option , or if we did we went safe. After half time we came out and took the game on , kicked 3 points and WC went down and kicked a goal and shells went up.

5th.

5th.

5th

what a ******* waste.

5th is nowhere.

5th.

we got 5th

******* 5th.

maybe Danger was right. ****.
You have basically summed up how I've felt since the third quarter last night.

We ******* blew it. I'm in a state of disbelief that we could have done it again, I thought this side was different. At least when we've choked in other finals it's been reasonably close. We got smashed at home and literally about 15 players decided to have their worst game of the ******* year. ******* ******* idiots.

Last edited:
I thought a lot of the time our Plan A was kick down the line. We weren't composed enough at times to spot another option , or if we did we went safe. After half time we came out and took the game on , kicked 3 points and WC went down and kicked a goal and shells went up.
I don't think that was our plan A - kicking it long down the long line was a bail out kick.

We didn't run and carry, we had no quick ball movement; so when we couldn't work through their congestion, we stopped... Held it.... Held it..... Held it..... s**t, what do I do?!... Hold it.... *, no options - I'll kick it long to a contest, that's a good option!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back