The bad, the crap, the fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Those making excuses for the Crows and taking aim at us supporters who had high hopes for them finishing second can take comfort. Scott Thompson told someone I know yesterday that they were tired after back-to-back 6 day breaks between games.

There you go, the players are making the excuses for you, because that's what good teams and players do, they make excuses as to why they brought their B-grade games in such an important game of football for the club. Just so you all know, the occassion of an extremely important game is not enough to get a tired Adelaide Crows to bring an A-grade effort.

I can handle losing, I can't handle a lack of effort, especially in a game where the majority of fans could understand the importance of the occasion. Let's just say I hope they aren't tired at all during the finals, otherwise you know what we're going to get.

Those making excuses for the Crows and taking aim at us supporters who had high hopes for them finishing second can take comfort. Scott Thompson told someone I know yesterday that they were tired after back-to-back 6 day breaks between games.

There you go, the players are making the excuses for you, because that's what good teams and players do, they make excuses as to why they brought their B-grade games in such an important game of football for the club. Just so you all know, the occassion of an extremely important game is not enough to get a tired Adelaide Crows to bring an A-grade effort.

I can handle losing, I can't handle a lack of effort, especially in a game where the majority of fans could understand the importance of the occasion. Let's just say I hope they aren't tired at all during the finals, otherwise you know what we're going to get.

Love the big footy gossip.

If he goes around again I'm gonna be like this.
image.jpeg

So which senior afc players choked the most on Friday nigh and need to redeem themselves come finals?

Jacobs, Jenkins, Lynch, Tex or Brown?

Are we worried that our so called future captain Lever had a couple of the biggest brain fades I've seen all year? Don't want to hang crap on the kid but it's the first time we've seen him under real pressure and he crumbled. Are we breeding the next generation of chokers?
I would never say never, I call it a virus.

did a plucky young Tex look like a choker? 4 years ago he didn't take any s**t from anybody and dished it back on the scoreboard. Recently he's happy enough to act tough and grab a jumper every now and then but can't impact a game and sprays shots at goal when the team desperately needs one. Seriously down on belief.

Thommo, Douglas, Mackay; VB, Doughty, etc in the past all must know they'll never be good enough - they sure as s**t don't believe they're good enough and once the doubt creeps in you're royally ****ed.

You have basically summed up how I've felt since the third quarter last night.

We ******* blew it. I'm in a state of disbelief that we could have done it again, I thought this side was different. At least when we've choked in other finals it's been reasonably close. We got smashed at home and literally about 15 players decided to have their worst game of the ******* year. ******* ******* idiots.
Not angry, disappointed?

Hang on, don't you have cracks at others about using stats when the "eyes tell the true story"?
Now you want it the other way around?
Depends on whose set of eyes :p ......example: SANFL thread yesterday, one poster said Grigg was almost BOG ....another poster said he was his normal crap self ......so whose set of eyes do we trust there :p

Now my eyes have been scientifically tested as being accurate to within 92.456 % ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on whose set of eyes :p ......example: SANFL thread yesterday, one poster said Grigg was almost BOG ....another poster said he was his normal crap self ......so whose set of eyes do we trust there :p

Now my eyes have been scientifically tested as being accurate to within 92.456 % ;)

That would be total fantasy.

Haven't read the previous 39 pages as I can guess what usual posters here have done, presume typical meltdown and someone else has probably mentioned this anyway.

I blame Fagan and the club for this, refusing to play on a Monday night when there was a bye week following. Its always hard to win coming back from the west but we faced Port with 6 day break after beating Freo. Then only a six day break after a Showdown where we know Port always play that as their grand final cos they choke during the season in important games for them to make the eight. Then another 6 day break before our most important match of the season.

Take into account the influence of the MRP and Smith being concussed by an errant Port boot as well as the Betts incident, we were always going to be struggling

What a disgraceful effort, so much that just went wrong, so many who didn't bother showing up, the margin should have been 10 goals really. I hope the players and coaching staff are completely and utterly embarrassed after that pathetic showing. I haven't been that let down by our performances since Sandos last year.

Unfortunately it's becoming pretty bloody clear that were a 1-trick pony at present. It's high intensity rebound footy or its nothing. Unfortunately it's too late to fix this this year, but we need to develop a tempo type game style for when we can't get the running game going.

On a positive note, there's a couple of things that we should have going for us heading into finals that were factors against us on Friday. I'm bloody hoping these factors were a significant factor in our pathetic performance Friday, otherwise it'll be a painful finals series.
1) Sloane and Smith out - there's little doubt we missed these guys and personally I think we're missing Seedsman too. We completely lacked guys who can run and carry and take the game on. Atkins was about the only one. Mackay, Douglas and Hendo should do this, but dont.
2) Game in Perth - 6 day break - Showdown - 6 day break - Game against fellow top 8 side. That's a massive schedule, we really needed Port to roll over and play bruise free footy last week, unfortunately we wasted our chances in the 2nd last week and gave them belief and as such they challenged us all the way.
3) Tough lead into finals - I've not been round long enough to hear Cornsey say much that could be described as "insightful" or not wildly out of date. But he did say that massive wins in finals are detrimental the following week when you come up against tough opposition. I think we've seen that play out in the second half of the year where we've had only Geelong and West Coast littered amongst average opponents. The best preparation for a final is a tough hard fought game, not an easy win. Sydney, Geelong, GWS have all had easy wins, we've had a couple of tough hard fought wins and will enter finals, hopefully, with no disillusions that finals won't be tough.
4) The Banana saga - a horrible event, but unfortunately it kind of spiraled out of control in the end. Not much we could really do, given the media coverage these things get and probably for the right reasons, but I think it distracted our preparation.

Oh well, that's my "bright side" take to try and counter the doom and gloom that was the Eagles game. I'm hoping I'm not too far off, hopes aren't too high though.

Unfortunately it's becoming pretty bloody clear that were a 1-trick pony at present. It's high intensity rebound footy or its nothing. Unfortunately it's too late to fix this this year, but we need to develop a tempo type game style for when we can't get the running game going.

On a positive note, there's a couple of things that we should have going for us heading into finals that were factors against us on Friday. I'm bloody hoping these factors were a significant factor in our pathetic performance Friday, otherwise it'll be a painful finals series.
1) Sloane and Smith out - there's little doubt we missed these guys and personally I think we're missing Seedsman too. We completely lacked guys who can run and carry and take the game on. Atkins was about the only one. Mackay, Douglas and Hendo should do this, but dont.
I disagree strongly that we're a one trick pony ......we've had a changing style throughout the year ....from a short spot up kick style to long traditional down the line style ......yes out rebound style out the back goals have been much discussed ......however we've had notable wins (Sydney) where we scratched for territory to win the game

IMO we just did not handle the pressure of the occasion well at all .....Sloane & Smith are but cogs in that team & wouldn't have made that much difference .....it was attitudional endemic panic that saw player after player go into his shell and with no thought just slam the ball onto the boot to anywhere

We lauded the 7 x U22 players earlier in the week ......but it was exactly those players that panicked under the expectation ......however better now than in the finals is my thoughts

If you think Atkins was good at taking the game on ...i'd suggest you look at more than the first qtr

We lauded the 7 x U22 players earlier in the week ......but it was exactly those players that panicked under the expectation ......however better now than in the finals is my thoughts

It wasn't our young players that panicked, it was pretty much the entire team with a handful of exceptions. This means our senior players panicked.

The performances of Jacobs, Douglas, Lynch, Jenkins, Thompson and Walker were disgusting for senior players and club leaders.

So humorous, why did we lose?

Because according to this post coming of two 6 day breaks and a tripe to Perth and a showdown isn't a viable excuse.

I think they collectively all had a very bad game, and our midfield is just not good enough. When youi add those things together you get the result we had Friday night.

It happens and will happen again but it's easy to say we choked as then you don't have to accept the reality, we were never going to win it this year.

We are on the right track but we need to get the midfield right now. Forward and defence is good, young and has heaps of improvement in them but apart from Atkins, Crouch 1 and 2 and Sloane - the rest of are closer to the end than they are the beggining.

It wasn't our young players that panicked, it was pretty much the entire team with a handful of exceptions. This means our senior players panicked.

The performances of Jacobs, Douglas, Lynch, Jenkins, Thompson and Walker were disgusting for senior players and club leaders.
You're not differentiating between lack of composure and playing badly (form) .....huge difference

You've bundled senior players under 1 category "disgusting" which is just an untrue generalization .....Douglas was ok .....Jenkins wimped it too often in Henderson style .....Walker was just Walker, but he needs to stop folaoting in & out of games ......Thompson was better than Brad Crouch, but no mention of that :rolleyes:

Haven't read everything but surely Jacobs was not right. If so why was he playing?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I would never say never, I call it a virus.

did a plucky young Tex look like a choker? 4 years ago he didn't take any s**t from anybody and dished it back on the scoreboard. Recently he's happy enough to act tough and grab a jumper every now and then but can't impact a game and sprays shots at goal when the team desperately needs one. Seriously down on belief.

Thommo, Douglas, Mackay; VB, Doughty, etc in the past all must know they'll never be good enough - they sure as s**t don't believe they're good enough and once the doubt creeps in you're royally stuffed.

Watching Tex I get the feeling he is trying overly to play his game as a captain looking to bring everyone else into the game. Commendable from a team first mantra but maybe he just needs to do some fully focused get it for himself at all costs stuff, and let the other take care of itself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back