Review The Bad, The Ugly and The Ok- Crows v West Coast

Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Is it me or do the boys think Murphy punches above his weight? I mean they always kick it way above his head hoping for some miracle mark.
It's either: a) a bad kick to nobody and Murphy is the only one will enough to make a contest.

b) A deliberate ploy for him to lead under the ball and turn. Not a terrible idea, but opponents are wise to it.

mattymac

Why no midfield crowz?
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2009
Yes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
No
I think we need to make the decision on Milera, is it midfield or defender? Switching him around is not ideal.
I've heard them say he's the type of player you'd like to have two or three of and the way they use him fully aligns with that way of thinking.

This year he must have broken some kind of record for positions played. Not ideal is a very kind understatement

Simmo28

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2014
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
They’ll tell us playing down there helped his development.

Of course, all the great forwards played in defence first. Remember those stirling years Carey, Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett and Modra had at full back before they burst onto the scene as forwards?

None of those blokes would’ve been any good if not for that. Especially Modra, thank God he played all of 1993 in defence.

Modra can’t even spell defence, to him defence is the thing he goes out and fixes on his farm.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've heard them say he's the type of player you'd like to have two or three of and the way they use him fully aligns with that way of thinking.

This year he must have broken some kind of record for positions played. Not ideal is a very kind understatement

Is he the next Daniel Wells type of player, who has so much talent, but will never truly be dominant

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
The only thing that even remotely piqued my interest yesterday was Fog, I was emotionally indifferent to everything else.

Pyke sent out 'his" best 22 and once again we were exposed as being good enough. I've given up hope of anything changing as I have no faith that the penny will ever drop that there's absolutely zero growth left in the side that they keep persisting with.

At this point I have just given up caring and most probably will until there's been a complete shift in culture at the club.

Last edited:
Interesting to see our worst two players

Milera the youth but did not produce
Ediie Oldmanitis, shouldn't be playing AFL anymore

Both on the day are fantastic, it just shows the inconsistency of both youth and age

Is Milera capable of being consistent and has Eddie fallen off the cliff

Did you no see Hartigans game. Allowed Darling to run around like an unregistered dog all day. Ultimately was the weak link in a defence that otherwise was brilliant all day.

How was it lost at selection?
If you mean Sauce v RoB, go back to last week and see how stuffed RoB was. He had a complete rest this weekend.

Atkins was pretty good. One of his best games.

Dougie was not too bad either.

Mackay, meh a typical Mackay game.

Which players should have been brought in to perform better and win that game?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Dougie was pretty bloody ordinary. Mackay was far better than him, and Mackay was typical. So what does that say about Dougie’s game? Dougie and Otten made us far too slow. And Gibbs refuses to put in effort at any level. He’s just so laconic. Almost like he’s on some sort of tranquilliser. Jones, Himmilberg and Greenwood could have made a difference.

Wrong.

ROB was dropped. Season over for him
Atkins was garbage. I've never seen a player freeze up in close like he does
Douglas was horrible. He's as slow as Otten
Mackay I'll give you. He played fairly well
Knight shouldn't have played. He's close to being on the delist pile
Hartigan was close to worst on field. He's that bad these days that the opposition deliberately go through his man as he's usually trailing 15m behind his opponent.
You are wrong about Atkins.

I think we need to make the decision on Milera, is it midfield or defender? Switching him around is not ideal.
I agree with this. He is being played out of position and he’s not particularly good at the position they had him in yesterday. Same with Smithers.

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Watched the replay.

Good:

Matt Crouch BOG. Excellent game from him. Apart from one fluffed kick i50, he used the ball really smartly. Some great handballs, strong in the air and was just everywhere. He's been down a bit this year but he's still been pretty decent. I don't get the hate for this guy. Obviously has limits but has gone far beyond where anyone thought he'd go. Genuine A grader when in form.

Fog shows why serious talent needs to be backed in over experienced mediocrity. Hopefully shut a few doubters up on here as well.

Talia and Brown were huge down back. Brown had got to be in the best 2 or 3 small defenders in the game?

Kelly has really found another few levels which I thought he didn't have. Has actually built into a tidy player this year.

Sloane pretty good.

B Crouch better. Still rushes too much. Was quite productive though and was good in the clearances.

Hate to say it but Mackay is doing enough to keep his spot (in the coaches view). Has actually played okay.

Bad:

Betts hardly sighted

Murphy has been slowly wearing on me. Thought he'd be able to tidy up his disposal and decision making but they are still average.

Lynch quiet

Milera looks lost atm. Seems to be rotating between a lock down defender, half back and some midfield. He's not a natural lock down defender. Really stagnated this year unfortunately. Wish they would find a role for him.

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd,Liverpool, WWT Eagles.
Douglas was cooked halfway through last year. I'm flabbergasted that our coaches and many of our supporters can't see that.

Likewise Otten (and he is one of my favourites).

Likewise Jacobs.

We're happy to make ourselves a weaker side so we can fondly bask in the memories of that time where we made a grand final (and conveniently forgetting the part where we got thrashed).

That's what the slowdown is for.

Spot on. The effort yesterday was very good and if Sloane had not gone down we might even have won. The big picture though is that we are playing a bunch of guys who are not part of our future. I don't think we win another game this year. Hopefully that will mean change in the off season though I am not holding my breath.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Watched the replay.

Good:

Matt Crouch BOG. Excellent game from him. Apart from one fluffed kick i50, he used the ball really smartly. Some great handballs, strong in the air and was just everywhere. He's been down a bit this year but he's still been pretty decent. I don't get the hate for this guy. Obviously has limits but has gone far beyond where anyone thought he'd go. Genuine A grader when in form.

Fog shows why serious talent needs to be backed in over experienced mediocrity. Hopefully shut a few doubters up on here as well.

Talia and Brown were huge down back. Brown had got to be in the best 2 or 3 small defenders in the game?

Kelly has really found another few levels which I thought he didn't have. Has actually built into a tidy player this year.

Sloane pretty good.

B Crouch better. Still rushes too much. Was quite productive though and was good in the clearances.

Hate to say it but Mackay is doing enough to keep his spot (in the coaches view). Has actually played okay.

Bad:

Betts hardly sighted

Murphy has been slowly wearing on me. Thought he'd be able to tidy up his disposal and decision making but they are still average.

Lynch quiet

Milera looks lost atm. Seems to be rotating between a lock down defender, half back and some midfield. He's not a natural lock down defender. Really stagnated this year unfortunately. Wish they would find a role for him.
Not sure but if we can offload Betts to Carlton this year it would be move of the century

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is it me or do the boys think Murphy punches above his weight? I mean they always kick it way above his head hoping for some miracle mark.
Absolutely. Seems like every kick to him is 2 feet above his head.

Our delivery to him reeks of country footballers spraying a kick and screaming "Get there!"

42 Mackays > 3 Mileras

I didnt hear it but apparently 5aa after the game were raving about Jacobs and how he could kick it unlike ROB who has to handball a lot.

Jacobs 6 kicks 5 handballs.

How the fu** do these guys get paid for their opinion?

I also found it funny the commentators were raving about Jacobs 10 hitouts to advantage at half time or thereabouts.

Finished the game with 11 HTA to 7 (from Hickey).

Reilly O'Brien averages 9 HTA. As well as more disposals, clearances, marks, inside 50s, meters gained, contested possessions, score involvements, score launches, tackles and pressure acts.

The kicker (pardon the pun) is ROB actually has a better kick efficiency and therefore averages more effective kicks per game than Sauce this year.

The overrating of Jacobs game by some is quite staggering

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
I also found it funny the commentators were raving about Jacobs 10 hitouts to advantage at half time or thereabouts.

Reilly O'Brien averages 9 HTA. As well as more disposals, clearances, marks, inside 50s, meters gained, contested possessions, score involvements, score launches, tackles and pressure acts.

The kicker (pardon the pun) is ROB actually has a better kick efficiency and therefore averages more effective kicks per game than Sauce this year.

The one counter to that argument is the fact our midfield was very, very competitive with a 1st class West Coast midfield outfit yesterday. And I'm not advocating we select Jacobs ahead of ROB either because clearly ROB is the future but that could point to the mids having better synergy with Jacobs than ROB at this point in time.

Scrogdogg

Club Legend
May 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide

Jacobs field work has always been substandard.

And the vigorous athletic strength of the younger AFL ruckmen is so noticeable against Jacobs.

The one counter to that argument is the fact our midfield was very, very competitive with a 1st class West Coast midfield outfit yesterday. And I'm not advocating we select Jacobs ahead of ROB either because clearly ROB is the future but that could point to the mids having better synergy with Jacobs than ROB at this point in time.

Our midfield beat GWS' midfield earlier in the year with ROB as the ruck so I don't think our mids have any more synergy with Jacobs than they do with ROB

The underrating is also staggering. He had a good game. No need to bag him. He did what was asked of him.

Back