The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm in danger of outing myself as a pisshead but while out and about last night had a couple of Otherside Ginger and Lemongrass sours on tap, I thought I didn't like sours but it was very tasty.
I went to the Otherside Brewery yesterday. I've been meaning to check it out for a while since it's so close to home.

Great little setup they've got there. Really makes you forget that you're in the middle of the Myaree industrial area.
I thought 98% of Bigfooty were pissheads to be fair.

Their beers are great! One of the better local breweries going round I think. Currently have a really solid hazy IPA out. Really liking a lot of the limited stuff they put out.

How does the swan valley and down south regions compare to other craft beer regions of Australia?

How does the swan valley and down south regions compare to other craft beer regions of Australia?
I'd say down south is better than the Swan Valley but that's because I'm not a massive fan of Mash or Feral and the rest that brew around there aren't fantastic (Elmars, Mandoon & Ironbark). Heroes and Villains is pretty good (they brew out of Oakover) but they don't really have a retail presence there unless you count being able to buy one or two of their beers from the winery restaurant.
Not really sure how they compare to the rest of Aus though

Swan Valley is average but down south is very good. Much better than other parts of Australia. Tassie is probably similar but without as many big name craft breweries if that makes sense. Melbourne is great but all the breweries are super spread out from CBD through to Mornington through to Yarra. Margs/Duns is a seriously good area of breweries all in close proximity with each other. Margaret river is consistently regarded as one of the best wine regions in the world, not for wine (although can be), but for its tourism and scenery. I think we are incredibly lucky in Perth to have that on our doorstep

Swan Valley is average but down south is very good. Much better than other parts of Australia. Tassie is probably similar but without as many big name craft breweries if that makes sense. Melbourne is great but all the breweries are super spread out from CBD through to Mornington through to Yarra. Margs/Duns is a seriously good area of breweries all in close proximity with each other. Margaret river is consistently regarded as one of the best wine regions in the world, not for wine (although can be), but for its tourism and scenery. I think we are incredibly lucky in Perth to have that on our doorstep
My issue with the breweries in the SW is that the drawcard is basically just having a (quite) nice space to drink beer outside in the sun.

Apart from Beer Farm, the vast majority seem to basically just have their core beers on tap, which you can get from a bottle shop or at basic pubs (in the case of colonial).

The beauty of going to a brewery/brewpub is typically because you can get your hands on stuff that isn’t being served or sold anywhere else. Plus, in the case of smaller breweries, you’re sometimes being served by the brewers themselves and they’re usually more than happy to talk about their processes and give you sneak previews etc etc

the SW brewpubs are in great locations but seemed to me to be staffed by kids on uni break mostly

My issue with the breweries in the SW is that the drawcard is basically just having a (quite) nice space to drink beer outside in the sun.

Apart from Beer Farm, the vast majority seem to basically just have their core beers on tap, which you can get from a bottle shop or at basic pubs (in the case of colonial).

The beauty of going to a brewery/brewpub is typically because you can get your hands on stuff that isn’t being served or sold anywhere else. Plus, in the case of smaller breweries, you’re sometimes being served by the brewers themselves and they’re usually more than happy to talk about their processes and give you sneak previews etc etc

the SW brewpubs are in great locations but seemed to me to be staffed by kids on uni break mostly
Yeah I can understand that. For the most part I agree, but from my experience that's pretty standard across the country in regions like that. Tassie potentially the exception. We have an extremely long way to go in the craft world if we are going by American standards. Even Euro standards.

Have you been to Wild Hop? Worth a trip if just for the food. Haven't seen any of their beers in Perth pubs/bottle shops yet either so currently them and Beer Farm are my go to for breweries down south because it's basically guaranteed that there will be something new and exciting on tap that I would never have seen before. I'm personally a big fan of Eagle Bay just for the scenery, but can be hit or miss if there's anything outside the basic stuff on tap. I know they changed brewers recently and seems they are doing more limited stuff. Last couple times down south I've gone and they've had 2-4 limiteds on. Agree re: Colonial, couldn't tell you the last time I went there for that reason really. Very boring going to a brewpub to drink the basic stuff which you can get anywhere. I haven't been yet but apparently Margaret River Brewhouse has picked up their game a notch too with more releases due to a new brewer.

Yeah I can understand that. For the most part I agree, but from my experience that's pretty standard across the country in regions like that. Tassie potentially the exception. We have an extremely long way to go in the craft world if we are going by American standards. Even Euro standards.

Have you been to Wild Hop? Worth a trip if just for the food. Haven't seen any of their beers in Perth pubs/bottle shops yet either so currently them and Beer Farm are my go to for breweries down south because it's basically guaranteed that there will be something new and exciting on tap that I would never have seen before. I'm personally a big fan of Eagle Bay just for the scenery, but can be hit or miss if there's anything outside the basic stuff on tap. I know they changed brewers recently and seems they are doing more limited stuff. Last couple times down south I've gone and they've had 2-4 limiteds on. Agree re: Colonial, couldn't tell you the last time I went there for that reason really. Very boring going to a brewpub to drink the basic stuff which you can get anywhere. I haven't been yet but apparently Margaret River Brewhouse has picked up their game a notch too with more releases due to a new brewer.
Yeah Eagle Bay is in a cracking location no doubt.

I haven’t been to Wild Hop so my post was a bit of a gross generalisation. I agree most brewpubs outside of metro areas nationwide are generally the same and it’s understandable as to why.

Yeah Eagle Bay is in a cracking location no doubt.

I haven’t been to Wild Hop so my post was a bit of a gross generalisation. I agree most brewpubs outside of metro areas nationwide are generally the same and it’s understandable as to why.
Wild hop is a must go. Even the location is elite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A beer so tasteless you have to put lemon in it to get it to taste like something, it astounds me that it is so popular.
It's ok on a stinking hot day and you wanna put back a ton of beers.

It really captures the people that are not huge beer drinkers because it's watered down beer.

Talk me through this year off.
Don't laugh, I had a gift voucher for 2 hours in a float tank from Christmas 2018 that I used in January and then just stopped wanting to try the latest beers.

By April I figured I might as well give it a year and see if I notice a difference, I didn't. The only thing I noticed was less tolerance to hot sauce and more cash in the bank.

Don't laugh, I had a gift voucher for 2 hours in a float tank from Christmas 2018 that I used in January and then just stopped wanting to try the latest beers.

By April I figured I might as well give it a year and see if I notice a difference, I didn't. The only thing I noticed was less tolerance to hot sauce and more cash in the bank.

Nice work mate 🙂 reckon you would've saved a few pennies for sure. It's amazing how much chasing every new beer can sap from the bank account. When we started saving for a deposit I did up a full budget and reviewed all our spending over a 3 month window and it was pretty astounding!

Nice work mate 🙂 reckon you would've saved a few pennies for sure. It's amazing how much chasing every new beer can sap from the bank account. When we started saving for a deposit I did up a full budget and reviewed all our spending over a 3 month window and it was pretty astounding!
I didn’t chase the latest but over 12 months ago I was only getting on the crafties and blowing through a lot. Saved a lot of the last year by going through patches of sobriety and I no longer need to have crafties every time I drink.
Also I tend to savour a lot more now.

Soooo, with the float tank. Did you hallucinate? Did you look into your soul and find your spirit animal? What happened?

I'm interested in taking the splash myself, but I'm absolutely terrified of what my mind would conjure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back